Keep on getting sick - day 22

Today I am at the end of day 22, and feel like I am losing the battle with my 2nd cold this Whole30. Before January of this year, I had not gotten sick at all for the two years I have been gluten/free. Anytime I started getting sick I would take Wellness Formula for a few days and the cold would go away. Last week I got a terrible sore throat, and then a cold. By the weekend I was better, but on Tuesday I got another cold. Well then I noticed that Wellness Formula contains SOY! It isn't in the ingredients, but is listed as "Contains soy." Big bummer. I didn't take anything because all the zinc lozenges I have have sugar in it. I am squeezing lemon a few glasses of water each day to get some vitamin C. Also, I am eating at least one mandarin a day.

Anyway, 4 days later this cold is moving to my lungs. I have found myself taking Mucinex daily otherwise I wouldn't be able to work. I have bronchitis now, and am constantly blowing my poor nose. I am going to the acupuncturist tomorrow, although all her herbs have sugar in them, the acupuncture itself should support my immune system.

As far as the food and sleep is concerned, I am following Whole30 very well. I intend to do this as long as I can. Has anyone else had recurring colds during their Whole30? Until today, I still had the energy to do homework, cook, clean, and run errands when I got home from work. I do work 45-50 hours a week. Tonight, after cooking dinner I barely had the energy to brush my teeth and crawl into bed.

How do you handle colds on your Whole30?

If you have the chance, take any extra sleep you can get! My acupuncturist gave me a recipe for a tea to drink at the first sign of a cold. 3 cups water with 1" ginger, grated or chopped, and 3-5 green onions, the white and roots only. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes, strain and drink hot before bed. I've used that a couple of times. I also like detox baths, 1 cup baking soda 1 cup epsom salts and a small handful of ground ginger, soak at least 40 minutes.

Feel better soon! It's ironic isn't it that many cold remedies have sugar in them?

Yes Krista! Thank you for your suggestions. I was struggling yesterday with this horrid cough, and trying to figure out what to take instead of Robitussin, as I didn't want to break my Whole30 for that nasty medicine. I decided to make your ginger tea (but we were out of green onions and too sick to go to store), It helped my cough immediately! It worked better than the mucinex for soothing my cough.

I went to the acupuncturist and coughed through the whole session, offered me a Ricola, but I told them I couldn't. The acupuncture did help, but it was the homemade ginger tea afterward that really kept me sane. Thank you :-)

If you are ever too tired for homemade concoctions, I love Traditional Medicinals teas, particularly the Lemon Echinacea Throat Coat. I use that as a much healthier alternative to cough drops - it really does help. I had the flu followed by bronchitis early this year, and a double-brew of this was the only thing that allowed me to sleep at night. Be sure to follow the brewing instructions (brew for 15 minutes, with a cover on your mug to trap the heat). I have seen these teas at Target, Whole Foods, and specialty stores.

I'm not doing a whole30 at the moment, but I've been battling a head/chest cold for three weeks now! Started out in my chest, moved to my head & sinuses at first-I tried to treat it homeopathically for a week, but kept getting worse and developed a fever and sinus infection for the first time in my life! YUCK!

Antibiotics seemed to do the trick and I was much better after three days on them. Finished the antibiotics last Sunday...by Wednesday night I had a killer sore throat and my sinuses and chest are full again! What the heck. I'm utterly exhausted. Steeping some ginger tea right now. I have so much to do and no energy to do any of it....

Hope you are feeling better!

bkbk - thanks for that suggestion. I am a wimp when I get a sore throat and Throat Coat tea did help.

Colleen, I hope you get better soon! I am finally over the cold but still have residual yuckiness going on.

I have to say - I am pretty light-headed lately, Emily, I may get those levels checked as well.

I did find out that my thyroid levels are really high... 2.5 which means I am hypothyroid. I am not sure if that is related to the weakened immune system but I am adjusting my meds.

• 1 month later...

Apple Cider Vinegar...raw, unfiltered (Braggs brand is great). I developed a wicked sinus infection in week 1 and fully treated it with this instead of having to take more antibiotics. I've also managed to be the only person in my household to avoid a stomach virus (even with sick kids hanging on me). I shake the glass bottle well to get all the probiotics that settle at the bottom, add 2 teaspoons to a cup of hot water, and drink once a day if I'm healthy, twice if I'm sick. Before doing this, my immune system sucked so it's definitely working..and I have severe adrenal fatigue, hypothyroidism, and major allergies so I should be miserable right now & I'm feeling pretty good. I hope you start feeling better soon, don't give up!

bkbk - thanks for that suggestion. I am a wimp when I get a sore throat and Throat Coat tea did help.

Colleen, I hope you get better soon! I am finally over the cold but still have residual yuckiness going on.

I have to say - I am pretty light-headed lately, Emily, I may get those levels checked as well.

I did find out that my thyroid levels are really high... 2.5 which means I am hypothyroid. I am not sure if that is related to the weakened immune system but I am adjusting my meds.

When you feel lightheaded or cloudy, add sweet potatoes or squash to every meal and see if that helps...I've noticed people with thyroid or other immune issues do better on more carbs...this helps me every time. Also, avoid fruit in meal 1 so your glucose levels don't get messed up for the day.

Archived