When others do nice things for you...

britchanel

I have a quick question! I am planning a Whole30 for the month of April and I can't wait to get started! I am worried about one thing — my fiancé's childhood church is throwing a wedding shower for me. I grew up with a dad in the Air Force and don't know a ton of people in this state, so this is incredibly kind of them. My future mother-in-law, who is already "obsessed" for lack of better word, about what I eat (copying what I eat at restaurants, comparing my meals to hers, etc.), has seen me eat plenty of non-compliant foods, so I can't really say I can't eat those things. I just don't want to offend or hurt anyone's feelings by not eating the food they buy or prepare. I know that's their problem, not mine, but little old women at a Church of Christ in the Bible Belt may take offense easily :)....and I really appreciate what they're doing. I thought I might just be strict until the shower (it's on the 14th), eat minimal non-compliant foods, then just restart my Whole30. Thoughts? Advice? Thank you in advance!

If you're doing a Whole30, you're either doing it or you're not. This is for you, not anyone else here. So, if you cheat yourself by half way through eating a bunch of non-Whole30 foods, you are essentially restarting it. Now, if that's what you want to do, then that's your own choice, but to really know what a full 30 days will feel like in your body, you have to do the full 30 days.

I'm willing to bet just about everyone here has been in a similar situation to this. I certainly have been several times. It doesn't matter what you were eating last week, either. I've had friends show up with homemade paleo brownies while I was on a Whole30 and I politely explained why I couldn't eat it. And, yes, I've had family members get very offended by my refusing to eat their food - especially when they remembered I did eat something before that I am now refusing to eat. Ultimately, it is my body and my choice always.

So, really, you just have to decide how you want to handle this situation. Do you want to do a full 30 days starting April 1? If that is the case, then decide you are doing it and maybe make some phone calls to people at least warning them. People who love to cook often enjoy having the challenge of a new style of cooking, if they are given notice. You may find out this goes just fine. Or, if you don't know them well enough to call ahead, then you'll just have to refuse when the time comes. There will be other people there to eat the food. It's none of their business what you eat when, really. And, this would be a perfect opportunity to practice new eating habits in a social environment.

Or, if you want to do 14 days, take a break, then do a full 30, that's up to you as well. The best advice I have is to decide now and stick to your decision.

I agree with Tom...it's a very special event. If I were in your shoes, I would probably get started now (or April 1, if there's a reason to wait), then enjoy the shower but try to make careful choices. Then the actual W30 would begin April 15th. Would your wedding cause a restart of that one too? I imagine this might be a tough time to fit 30 days of perfect eating in!

Thank you for the advice!!!

The wedding isn't until July, but having the shower in April just worked out best for everyone. I'm also in graduate school and really want to break my habit of letting myself eat/drink whatever I want finals week (5 more weeks!). I always feel like crap afterwards, and how it is planned now, I would be in the middle of a Whole30 when finals week rolls around. I think it will definitely be tough, but I am looking forward to it in a weird way! I really hate how sugar and stuff makes me feel and think this is the perfect time to learn some new eating habits and great recipes!

I would totally see my wedding shower as a treat myself event. It isn't a cheat if you decide what and how much to have of less healthy foods. Something that happens very regularly is less special in my mind and I'm currently not choosing to eat at those events/locations/etc because they aren't nearly as special since I can get them pretty frequently. Your own wedding is a little different.

I see no reason not to start finding foods you like and experiencing the Whole30 life as soon as you are ready. Getting a few things you really like in the pantry and freezer will help with finals. You can make your own little care package!

30 whole days is needed for the full reset, but it sounds like you plan to do that soon.

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!

Archived