Whole30 start...again...for real this time

5 til 40

Hi! Ok, so here is the story. I started my first Whole30 last Sat (a week and some change ago). Was gung ho and doing great. I was about text book...1st day feeling on top of the world, 2nd, 3rd, 4th day headache, 5th and 6th day a sleepy crab apple. But stuck with the program.Then I went out to eat at my favorite thai restaurant that I hardly ever go to any longer. I succumbed to a fried spring roll, followed by greasy pad thai. Woke up shook it off, started back, got stressed out and fell off the wagon, but this time worse. This has been my pattern for the past 5 days. Progressively getting worse (today included cinnamon rolls baked by my friend AND pizza and peanut butter out of the jar!!!!) :( So now I sit here. With a huge stomach ache, head and eyes dizzy from the sugar, depressed and bummed, but at the same time ready to start again. This time I am going to post everyday and make myself accountable. I know I can do it. I CAN beat the sugar monster. I WILL learn that comfort food is NOT comforting. It makes me feel like crap!!! I know this time may be worse because I really ate horrible the past 5 day's (and prior to my attempt at Whole30). I will consider it my payment :-) So, I need some support, please. I love to eat healthy, but I am truly addicted to sugar, so it is an uphill battle. Anyways, sorry this is so long. Here goes! I cannot wait to post my day 30. I love to read everyone's success stories. I know I can be one of them! Thank you for listening!! :)

Sounds like you have the battle half won. You know who your demons are. I am a food addict much like you. If I go off the rails, I do it big time. I don't just cheat a little, I figure "what the heck, I already messed up, may as well go for it." But that's exactly what an addiction is. An alcoholic is fine, until the first drink. But they cannot stop at one. It leads to many more, sometimes right away, sometimes over days or weeks.

I found this out when I quit smoking 12 years ago. Previously, I would refrain, then pronounce myself cured, or decide I could just have one drag. But as addicts, we can't ever stop at one, so the issue is to never put that first drink, first cig, first taboo food in your mouth. The first bite of spring roll made it easier to eat the pad thai, which made it easier to eat the cinnamon roll. I couldn't quit smoking until I realized I could never have that first puff. It's only one bite you need to resist--the first one!

Hey, good for you! I think it may take a few stabs at it, but beating yourself up if you're not perfect just feeds the monster that wants sugar. I had a slip day today - it was a friend's retirement party, and some of it probably would've been sorta-paleo (pulled pork, tomatoes, fruit) but of course I "had" to have dessert. But I got back on track for dinner tonight, and am determined to shake it off and keep going. Your story has inspired me, so go for it. You can do it!

Hi Kier,

Thanks for you encouragement on my post with similar sucked down by the evil sugars tale. We can do this. Keep an eye out for the creeping crawling sugars and we will make it.

One good thing - even with only a few days in, the sugars we ate really caused a notable difference. Now we have a clear message that the headaches and eye aches aren't just part of life. We can fix it!

Yup, took me a few goes to beat those cravings too. There was an 'incident' involving a missed bus, no car, no phone credit and a bakery... A couple of days and a fair few donuts, cookies, bagels and pancakes later, I was here on the forum!

But let me tell you once you reach day 25 there ain't no cinnamon roll that could tempt you away from finishing!

Yup, took me a few goes to beat those cravings too. There was an 'incident' involving a missed bus, no car, no phone credit and a bakery... A couple of days and a fair few donuts, cookies, bagels and pancakes later, I was here on the forum!

But let me tell you once you reach day 25 there ain't no cinnamon roll that could tempt you away from finishing!

Nice comeback! :)

Archived