Living a Whole30 life

I am on day 24 of my FIFTH Whole30, and as always, I am feeling wonderful. I follow the Autoimmune Protocol and so my eating is pretty strict, but so worth it. Even when I am done with my 30, I eat compliant 90% of the time. However, I have found that mostly everything off plan bothers me in some way. For example, sugar makes me agitated and cranky, dairy makes me congested and stuffed up, grains give me hives, etc etc. I am wondering if any of you try and eat complaint all the time, and how successful you have been? I know it's not a 365, and yes I do go off plan, but I find myself becoming totally derailed after a few beers, and then eating everything under the sun, feeling like garbage, and then 30 days on is what it takes for me to reset. Thoughts? Thanks!

• Moderators

I am on my first Whole30 right now, but I've been off sugar, dairy, gluten, soy, corn, peanuts, eggs, and alcohol (by and large) since last June. What has worked best for me is to give myself rules or parameters for off roading. I only do it on special occasions, like when I'm going out with friends or traveling, and I've learned that some things work better than others.

Gluten is just out. Period. It does terrible things to me. But I'll allow myself a little rice, maybe, or some quinoa.

If I really want to try a dessert, I make sure it's gluten free and something truly special, and I do the three bite rule.

If I want to drink, I limit myself to two, and again, choose gluten free options. Wine is OK, as is tequila or vodka with seltzer as a mixer.

Yes, I've had my moments of binge eating on gluten-free cookies and lemon curd in a weak moment that went on for a few days . . . and now I'm aware and hyper vigilant about my emotions and their conection to my eating behavior. If I'm on the edge of being blue, best not to go anywhere near sugar.

By and large I just do better when I tell myself "No choice" around certain foods and behaviors and I don't have to fight with myself or obsess over it.

It's never too late for a U-Turn.

I read that quote in the Oprah magazine about 5 years ago. She had said something to the extent of, "when you realize you've eaten half of a box of Oreos, you don't have to finish it off, it's never too late for a U-Turn." At least, that's how my brain remembers it going...

Anyway, whenever I find myself in self-depreciation mode, that quote comes to my mind. As the years have passed it has become a soothing mantra reminding myself it's okay to stop right now, and it's okay to forgive myself and not beat myself up. Often I got into a loop of beating myself up, emotional eating, beating myself up for the emotional eating, and then I remember the mantra. Over the last few years, I remember, "It's not too late for a U-Turn" before I even get to the beating myself up part - growth!

All the psychology built into the Whole 30's daily newsletters is so incredibly helpful and interesting. If you haven't spent the $15, it's such an amazing resource. :)

Wow! Thank you sooo much for your responses!! That is really helpful, and exactly the kind of input I was looking for. :) I believe that you captured it completely and I will use both of those insights in helping me maintain my strict eating, and (HOPEFULLY) strict off-roading. Thankssss!!!

Archived