Day 12, starting over

After 12 days of clean eating, I'm pretty sure I had a slip up. I say "pretty sure" because after 12 days of no GI repercussions after any meals, tonight I felt like I got food poisoning. On days when I am too hungry/impatient to prepare a meal, I will swing by whole foods and grab a big Whole30-compliant salad from the salad bar. I load it with organic greens, grape tomatoes, olives, chicken or tuna, artichoke hearts and a few pieces of fresh fruit and a sprinkle of walnuts or cashews. Pour a moderate amount of balsamic and EVOO and I'm good to go. Well this evening I decided to add some grilled veggies from the hot bar. All of the ingredients are usually listed above the items and this was no exception. There was no mention of wheat or soy in the sauce the veggies were cooked in, but it may have mentioned corn starch or Xanthum gum. I'm not really sure but I didn't think it would be a major problem. Well about an hour after eating I felt nauseous and my stomach bloated like I was 6 months pregnant. I have major heartburn and feel awful. That has not happened since starting this program! I'm upset with myself for being careless but have definitely proven that I must be sensitive to these foreign chemicals that seem to be popping up in everything these days. So tomorrow I will be starting over as I really want to do this right!

• Moderators

On days when I am too hungry/impatient to prepare a meal, I will swing by whole foods and grab a big Whole30-compliant salad from the salad bar. I load it with organic greens, grape tomatoes, olives, chicken or tuna, artichoke hearts and a few pieces of fresh fruit and a sprinkle of walnuts or cashews. Pour a moderate amount of balsamic and EVOO and I'm good to go.

Maybe the most important thing is to make a plan to prepare and eat your own food even when you are hungry or impatient. I know when you are first learning to cook that it seems like a lot of work and takes too much time, but with practice, you can prepare a tasty meal in less time than it takes to park your car, walk into Whole Foods, assemble a plate, pay your bill, and walk out again. There are dozens of meals that I make in 10 minutes or less. It took me longer when I was just learning, but skill and speed comes with practice.

See if you can Ty to cut up, all of your raw veggies on Sunday and put them in plastic bags. Try making a homemade mayo. Well fed has one that seems to work for most. Grill up some chicken. Then when you get home from work you can assemble your salad or make stir fry. You can always add canned tuna (Wild Planet at Costco) or canned salmon ( also sell compliant at Costco). Cheaper and faster than going to WF every night.

I find that most stuff at the hot bar at WF is roasted or grilled with canola oil. Also they out soy in so many dishes. Maybe one of those was i the veggies?

Archived