Breakfast or pre-workout?

jdarcy

I'm starting my Whole30 tomorrow (4/15) and would like advice on meal planning around my morning workout. Here's my daily schedule (Monday - Friday; weekends vary):

6:15 AM Wake up, take thyroid med (have to wait 30 minutes before eating). I have to get up this early to get my kids ready for school.

8:15 - 9:30 AM Workout (about an hour, mix of cardio intervals and full-body strength exercises like squats, push-ups, etc.)

So... should I eat breakfast (a full meal) around 7 AM, or just a pre-workout snack? From ISWF, I think I'm supposed to eat a full meal after the workout (9:45 or 10 AM) ... and then eat lunch around noon?? Seems like a lot of food early in the day ... then a long stretch before dinner. Thanks for the help!

Personally, I would eat breakfast and then your pre work out snack--it can be just a hard boiled egg! Then after your work out, your post work out. You can wait 4 hours to eat lunch--have lunch around 2--this is what I do. I take thyroid meds too and when I was taking them in the morning, I would make my breakfast while I was waiting that 30 minutes, because your body really needs that breakfast and it helps to reset your system. OH btw, I take my thyroid meds at bed time. I make sure I eat dinner 4 hours before bed, or I get up in the night to make sure I can accomplish this and then I can eat as soon as I get up.

• Moderators

I would eat a light breakfast around 7 AM and count that as a pre-workout snack. After the workout I would have some lean protein at the gym and then eat my regular lunch anywhere between noon and 2 pm. You could eat a mini-meal in the afternoon if you need it and then supper when you are ready.

Archived