Pre/Post WO

MrsL519

OK... So I've been motivated to start going back to the gym (thanks to the lovely people on my FB group :) ) However..... this whole pre/post work out business is confusing me.

Usually, when I'm on top of things, I get up at 4:30, am at the gym by 5 leave close to 6, eat breakfast and am off for the day. I feel like 4:30 is 'too early' to eat and I typically have eggs for breakfast so having a hard boiled egg for pre-wo is a bit much for me. What do YOU do? I have the template but it's not really helping much, I need examples to get my brain started.

TIA :)

• Moderators

I normally eat a boiled egg, but the other thing I sometimes do is to eat a few nuts. I eat 2 or 3 brazil nuts every day in place of taking a selenium supplement and 3 is enough for a small pre-workout snack.

I eat an HB egg pre-workout in the early morning, and switched to having beef at breakfast after--it's better to go lower fat post-WO anyway, so it works well for me to roast a grass-fed London broil (lean cut) and slice it thin to pack for breakfast. I have that + veggies (sometimes roasted sweet potato cubes, almost always steamed broccoli, cut up red and orange bell pepper, cherry tomatoes) every morning, and it works really well for me. In the past I've also had cashew butter (those artisana packets), or a spoonful of coconut butter or a handful of macadamia nuts for pre-WO, but I've settled on the egg as what works best for me.

Thank you! :)

I'm going to try some natural apple sauce and some almonds pre then keep my eggs post. Does that sound ok?

I've never had extra food due to a work out before but I also never stopped eating from 7am-9pm (not literally, but almost) and I'm terrified that if I don't do this the right way my work out will end up derailing me later in the day so I'm determined to figure it out.

That and I'm probably over thinking it like everything else. I guess at some point I'll learn to relax :rolleyes:

I'm going to try some natural apple sauce and some almonds pre then keep my eggs post. Does that sound ok?

Actually...the guidelines are to have protein and fat preWO, protein and carbs (low fat) after. Eggs and almonds are protein and fat, so they are perfect before your workout. Apple sauce is carbs, so better after, along with some lower fat protein source.

Archived