Whole 30 - Take 2! 4.22.13

tracysparrow

Hi there!

I'm Tracy and I successfully completed my first Whole 30 in October of last year. It was awesome! My intention had been to keep going with it, and I did until right before Thanksgiving, and then I fell off the wagon HARD. And have been trying (and failing) to do some Paleo diet with soft edges, leading me to fall off the wagon again and again.

I have been deluding myself that I could get back to where I was without doing another Whole 30. So silly! So, I am starting again, tomorrow. I am stocked up with meats and veggies and healthy fats. I'm out of coconut aminos, but I am going to get some tomorrow. I need to get back into the swing of meal planning again. I am excited to get back to feeling the way I did after about the first week- where I had energy, I could actually tell when I was hungry, and I slept better.

It is important to note that today, I feel pretty crappy- bloated, tired, and cranky. I am ready to feel good again!!!

I'm looking forward to committing to my health again, and to staying committed.

Here's to success for us all!

Best,

Tracy

Hi Tracy... Same story over here. Successful whole30 in September/October. Have been keeping a relatively paleo lifestyle since them, with the exception of some weekend fun and holidays/social dinners etc. Things have been fine, but i feel like i need something to rope it all in before summer starts. Whole 30 seems to be the right answer. Last time I did it with a group of friends, which was very helpful in terms of accountability, but I glad to have someone with a similar experience to check in with this go around. Good Luck to you! Here's to 30 days of fun!

Hi Welcome back to W30 both of you. sounds like you're really prepared. Good luck and keep us posted how you're doing. Even though it's the second time for both of you don't be afraid to ask any questions you may have.

I am currently reading It Starts With Food and am declaring TODAY that I am starting the Whole30 Program! I have always been a super health freak, but tend to go on sugary sweets binges.

I want to do this not for weight or appearance reasons, but to challenge my mind and overcome the obstacle of saying "No, thank you" to unhealthy foods/drinks, regardless of where I am and who I am with.

Like the book states, we always have a choice! I want to proudly and confidently make healthy food decisions and not care if people around me think I am crazy because I want to live a healthy clean life! Misery loves company, don't let negative unhealthy people bring you down with them.

Excited to begin my first W30!

Hey there!! I finished my first Whole30 last week and after one meal of off roading jumped right back on course!!! Today will officially be day one for me as I made some SWYPO banana bread yesterday for an event at work. I learned a lot from the first W30 but I know there is still so much more knowledge to gain! Let's do this!!!

Teleguy--go find some Kombucha and give it a shot. Also tea can be a great beverage to help you get through the rough spots. Good luck!

Hi! A day late (well according to Aus time anwyay) but this is my first Whole 30, Day 2. The sweeteners are the hardest thing for me as well as the snacking. Doing not too bad so far although felt like sh*t on the afternoon of Day 1 (found out my lunch did not have enough fats to satiate me). So glad there's a forum for this!

Day 3... how is everyone feeling out there? I can already tell I am sleeping better. But yesterday, during yoga, I got that low energy drain feeling that comes around in the early parts of the program. I think its helpful to know that it will pass in a week or so... how's it going for everyone else?

Good Morning all!

Day 3 for me! I woke up feeling like I had gotten some really good sleep last night. I have been fortunate enough that I haven't really felt the headaches. I've always had a HUGE sweet tooth so my sugar cravings are definitely still present. I had to throw a cookie away that I had walked past 3 days in a row. And my boyfriend (that has never been into sweets) has decided that he wants something sweet just about every day. I told him that I refused to buy cookies for him. I'm still way to early in this process to have those kinds of temptations close to me which is exactly why that cookie ended up in the trash.

Can't wait to hear how everyone else is doing!

Hey! I had to be the office weirdo and turn down an offer of lunch at a nice restaurant with co-workers for Administrative Professional's Day (which was yesterday, but we're observing it today). The social aspect of eating and the assertiveness necessary to "just say no" is really my biggest challenge, but I'm hoping the more I do it the easier it will become. I guess I don't mind being the office weirdo for a while if I feel good for a change. Which brings me to my current headache/ fever :unsure: . . .drinking water and hoping to feel better soon. How's everyone else doing today?

Jenny - kudos to you for turning down lunch! I was worried that I was going to have to do the same thing for Administrative Professionals Day and also my 10-year anniversary at my job was Sunday. But we didn't get anything so I guess that was kind of a good thing. I would hate to miss out on the social aspect of it but it was very nice that I didn't have to decline at all.

AFM...I'm SUPER tired today! All I want to do is crawl into bed! My boyfriend keeps asking me what my problem is too!

Thanks GuamGrly! Nice to know I'm not the only one worrying about these social scenarios. Congrats on 10 years at your job! That takes commitment. The lack of fanfare may have been a blessing in disguise-- but I do hope they give you your props sometime soon. Hope your energy picks up soon, too. Hey, maybe you are just skipping the "Kill All the Things" phase and hitting the "I Just Want a Nap" phase early? :D -In which case "Tiger Blood" is just around the corner, ha ha! http://whole9life.com/2013/01/whole30-timeline/ I'm pretty sure I'm right "on schedule", since my mood has been a tiny bit, uhh. . agitated (to put it extremely mildly).

Time to go take out some of this aggression chopping a ton of veggies to accompany tonight's fish dinner. Hang in there and get a good night's sleep!

Hope everyone is doing well-- will check in again tomorrow!

Good morning everyone! How are we doing on this lovely day 5? I'm pretty tired and had to really force myself to eat my first meal of the day. . . but I'm feeling good that I did. No cravings yet, but that's probably because I feel full all the time. No urge to snack whatsoever, which is kind of amazing. I sometimes wonder if I'm eating too much at my 3 meals, but I'm not too worried because it's all really good food. It's just tough to gauge when I am not getting any hunger signals and forcing myself to eat at regular times (a big change for me). Hoping to wake up ready for meal 1 one of these days! Oh, and I did have a weird food dream last night (which I already forgot, but do remember thinking was funny).

Happy Friday all!

Thanks Jenny! I think I briefly skimmed over the "Kill all things" phase and ran into the "I just want to nap" phase. I didn't get very good sleep again last night but I'm feeling a little more rested and ready to take on the day! Although I have to admit that I'm getting a little discourage because I don't feel as though I'm seeing any type of results. Granted, I know that it's only day 5 but I'm not sleeping very well at night and my clothes still fit the same. Makes me start to wonder if I'm somehow going about this all wrong. I'm hoping to spend Saturday planning and Sunday prepping so that next week will be amazing!

Hope everyone is doing well!!

Hey GuamGrly,

I think that your tiredness (believe it or not) is a GOOD sign that your body is making a switch from burning sugar to burning fat for fuel. At least that's what I'm hoping it is. ;) Hang in there! I need to plan and go shopping again tonight since I ate all the food that I thought would last through Sunday. It's a learning process though, right? Keep us posted and happy Friday to you, too!

Those were my thoughts as well! My body is actually having to work harder to produce fuel from the foods that I'm giving it rather than the sugars that it's used to. Sugar is probably the one thing that I miss the most! And I mean sugar in all shapes and forms...muffins, frappucinos, cookies, brownies, ice cream....you name it. I'm good without the cheese though! I'm hoping that my cravings will subside and I will be able to keep pushing through this!

So the "just wanna nap" phase kicked in yesterday (right on time, day 7). This is the first of the symptoms from the timeline that I have seen this go around. Is that because my eating prior to this has not been too far off of a typical whole 30, as opposed to where I was my first go around, which was a major adjustment? Even though I don't love feeling tired, I was happy to see something that mirrored the timeline, just to give me some comfort that things are working. Not looking forward to the "food dream" phase... my dreams were so vivid, and a little stressful. I hope it is not as strong this go around.

Happy to be through the weekend. I find weekends the most challenging for Whole30. Kinda bizzare to welcome a Monday, but it's nice to know that I have 5 regular structured weekdays ahead of me.

Hope everyone survived their first weekend. Hoping for some better sleep this week... the past three nights I have found myself awake at 2:30 or 3 am.... one of the benefits that I truly embraced about W30 was a full night of better sleep, as I usually have a hard time sleeping through the night. I am looking for those benefits to re-appear.

Thanks for sharing Tracy! My wife and I will finish up our last day of our first 30 tomorrow, we are debating on where to go from here. We are going to stick with it for awhile longer, after reading your story and others similar only reinforces this for me! Thanks! We put a lot of hard work in the past month and I do not want to waste it!

I am going to reintroduce some foods, just do not know which yet.

Let us know how your progress is going!!

Those were my thoughts as well! My body is actually having to work harder to produce fuel from the foods that I'm giving it rather than the sugars that it's used to. Sugar is probably the one thing that I miss the most! And I mean sugar in all shapes and forms...muffins, frappucinos, cookies, brownies, ice cream....you name it. I'm good without the cheese though! I'm hoping that my cravings will subside and I will be able to keep pushing through this!

Keep pushing through!! Eat, eat, eat what your are allowed and soon the cravings WILL go away...at least physically. Mentally there might be a whole new challenge, as it is for me.

Hi Lswan76!

It's funny you mention it, but I was totally glad to be back to my work week routine today. Eating a huge salmon salad in my car in the mall parking lot between errands and socializing isn't ideal for me--ha! I hope your energy picks up again real soon. At least you have the benefit of kind of knowing what to expect. I'm super exhausted today after a crazy bout of detoxing yesterday (splitting migraine w/ nausea, body pain, feeling dehydrated no matter what I did--the WORST), but I'm hoping that was the low point of this journey--fingers crossed. :rolleyes: And here's a toast (water with lemon) to better sleep for all!

How's everyone else on this Day 8?

Hi all. I just joined this forum and was pleasantly surprised to see a group of people who started this program on the same day I did (April 22). I'm feeling good and have been since the start! Admittedly, I started this program to lose weight - a work colleague/friend suggested it and I read through the book and was eager to add better health, energy and sleep into the mix. I didn't eat terribly badly before and was aware sugar was not my friend but even so I needed something to curb my carb and sugar cravings - so far this is working. I'd like to be able to keep on eating like this, my biggest vice, however, is wine! I'm sticking to this for 30, maybe even 60 days though!

Hi TiaGia73--welcome! I can really relate, as my biggest vice is also wine. Plus I'm considering continuing on with a Whole 60 for weight loss purposes. I'm already enjoying better sleep and more energy and I certainly don't want that to end! ^_^ Still having some issues with my digestion, but I'm hopeful that will sort itself out soon. Anyway, keep us posted on how things are going for you!

And how's everyone else doing on this Day 11?

Archived