Trader Joes Uncured Turkey Bacon

MrAlex

Day 1. Lord help me. I get it. Clean out all the crap out your system. No fake substitutes. Black coffee.(uggg I hate you) but okay. I can do it.

I purchased Trader Joes Uncured Turkey Bacon yesterday and now it looks like I have to throw it away. It has raw sugar in it but on the package it doesn't say any "added sugars". I am assuming as the commercial says "sugar is sugar" so therefore I must throw this away, am I correct? Thanks

• Moderators

Check the Ingredients section of the label. It probably lists turbinado sugar as an ingredient and it might also list carrageenan. The peppered version does (that is what I could find a picture of online). Either one or both makes the bacon unfit for a Whole30. No label lists "added" sugar, but you might find cane juice, brown sugar, turbinado sugar, sugar, etc. The carrageenan is an additive that tends to cause problems in the gut.

If it were just the sugar, I would say put your turkey bacon in the freezer and save it for after your Whole30. With the carrageenan, I might not want it ever. I probably would not throw it away. I'd put it in the freezer and think about it a few weeks. The carraggeenan in one pack of bacon would only be a problem for someone who was especially sensitive, but it is still a nasty ingredient.

This made me laugh. Especially the part about the coffee. I am so going through that too. Wondering if a little cinnamon and coconut milk wouldn' take the bitter out of it. (Hmmmmm...) Maurice another route you could go with the bacon thing is asking the butcher to cut you bacon slices from fresh pork belly. It wouldn't have all the fancy flavor that typical bacon has but you could season it and make it to your liking. Just a thought. Best of luck on your journey.

Archived