An awakening

golden

I completed my Whole30 several days ago, but I was feeling that my digestive system was still out of whack, so I've still been chugging along. However, I bought probiotic supplements, kombucha, chia seeds, and beef bones to make broth on day 30, and by day 31 I was feeling like a new woman, and I feel my Whole30 is complete! I'm ready to reintroduce and all of that, but I haven't yet. I think today is day 35.

Here's where I'm at now compared to a month ago:

The biggest thing is that I feel a remarkable easing of my anxiety and moodiness. I feel that my energy is so much more steady. I've truly never felt this way, having struggled with anxiety and depression since I was a teenager (now I'm 25). I feel happier and able to calm myself down when my nerves start to agitate. I have energy even after lunch and into the afternoon, when I used to get very lethargic and slink home to pop something frozen into the microwave. I even have the energy to work out now, when I used to be unable to peel myself off the couch, and would even get lightheaded sometimes when working out. Now I've actually started working out with a group of coworkers and a trainer, pretty vigorously, and I've hardly been sore since the first time I worked out with them.

My spring break from work coincided with the first couple of weeks of my Whole30, giving me tons of time to rest and reflect, and as I was feeling my energy levels shifting, I just started to feel so blissed out. I really felt that I underwent a spiritual awakening, just being able to experience and commune with my body and with my life in ways that I couldn't before. I feel I've overcome a fundamental disconnectedness that I had been living with. I don't feel blissed out anymore after the initial fog was lifting, and since going back to work, but I do feel really good and equipped to continue making healthy choices.

I also noticed

- lessening of dark under eye circles

- glowing, clear skin

- decreased nasal allergy symptoms

- decreased cellulite in my legs

- less body fat and more muscle tone in my arms and legs

- less bloating in my stomach

- increased flexibility and better posture

- cleaner teeth and fresher breath

While I was not trying to lose weight, I ended up losing 7 pounds, going from 128 (which I've been at for years and years pretty consistently) to 121, but in my body what I notice is the change in body composition. I'm getting more muscle in my arms, my thighs are shrinking and toning up, and my stomach is less bloated.

I realized that I have less of a sugar dragon than a fat dragon after craving coconut milk and oils and nuts. I could plow through 1/2 a can of coconut milk, easily -- and have, in several recent meals, feeling guilty. But I realized that that's not really that extremely much fat anyway, and I'm still getting past my anti-fat conditioning.

There isn't much that I miss. I feel no urge to drink, I know that dairy will give me back my allergies, and while I would be most inclined to try to reintroduce grains and legumes, I also really enjoy eating the types of meals I'm eating now, and wouldn't really know how to incorporate legumes into them. I could see myself adding some non gluten grains back in, but they seem a lot like filler to me now.

I'm so excited to be more energetic and vibrant, and to incorporate more activity into my life, and to use my newfound energy to enhance my creativity.

I think I'm with you on the fat dragon. I always assumed I had a sugar dragon, but once I'd detoxed, I had no cravings for it at all (of course, once I eat some, I can't stop, so maybe I'm being obtuse...).

I'm having Hobbit images of a a huge, obese dragon lumbering around in the air around the Lonely Mountain trying to catch me... (as opposed to a svelte, hyperactive sugar dragon zipping around...). Too literal?

I think I'm with you on the fat dragon. I always assumed I had a sugar dragon, but once I'd detoxed, I had no cravings for it at all (of course, once I eat some, I can't stop, so maybe I'm being obtuse...).

I'm having Hobbit images of a a huge, obese dragon lumbering around in the air around the Lonely Mountain trying to catch me... (as opposed to a svelte, hyperactive sugar dragon zipping around...). Too literal?

It's so funny -- I hadn't actually pictured my fat-dragon being fat.

I forgot two add two benefits I experienced, both related to women's health: my period was easier this month. It lasted the same amount of time but was lighter and I had no moodiness or discomfort.

• 9 months later...

Archived