Pork & Beef

I have found a lovely butcher whose meat is:

Pork:All our pigs are bred, born reared and grown free range to standards laid down by the RSPCA's "Freedom Foods" assurance scheme

Beef: raised traditionally, humanely and sustainably on a diet with no hormones and definitely no GM feedstuffs.

Doesn't sayanything specific about grass-fed though

If it's raised traditionally, hunanely and without hormones or GM stuff, I'd say it was great. Pastured or grass fed is not a label you see a lot over here. Some places have cottoned onto it and use it on their website but beef here is traditionally grass fed. We tend not to have the CAFOs they have in the US and the routine use of antibiotics was outlawed years ago.

Some male calves can be barn raised for a while but traditionally the main diet for cows is grass. Obviously in the winter there's not enough available so it's usually supplemented with silage which is basically compressed fermented grass. sometimes they'll also be grain finished but if it's GM free I, personally, wouldn't worry about that.

On the whole, our basic meats tend to be better than some other countries and this lot sounds really good.

Archived