First Whole30 down (whoop!) Sugar dragon back (boo!!)

Ari.

I just completed my first Whole30 a couple of days ago! I feel great and have many pleasing results to report. I don't plan to enter the reintroduction phase yet, because I am seriously considering going paleo. I feel great physically and emotionally so I don't see any motivation in bringing back the "less healthy" foods.

However, my sugar dragon came roaring literally 2 days after I finished.

And since then it has been a daily struggle to ride out my cravings. Luckily I haven't given in. At first I thought that maybe giving in and having something sugary might be wise as it will show me what I have NOT been missing- or might even make me sick, further validating why I should keep it out. But, I already know that I do not want sugar in my life anymore because it HAS made me sick in the past and is NOT worth it. So here I am.

I know that I have an emotional relationship with food so I have been trying to avoiding feeding that need. I try to do anything but eat during stressful moments. I would love some advice on really achieving emotional freedom from food.

Thank you all :)

That's the thing about the Whole30 that I think a lot of people don't know (or learn through experience). 30 days is actually not long enough to break all your old bad food habits, and I think sugar is particularly true for a lot of people. Take it from someone who did 50 days and then wound up eating sugar once and it spiraled back out of control - don't go there. Especially since you are still having cravings! I shouldn't have touched sugar after 50 days because I'm pretty sure I did it over a craving.

I don't know about other non-Whole30 foods, but with sugar in particular, I'd seriously go several months before considering trying it again. I'm just saying it from my own personal experience and from reading how so many others here have had a hard time with keeping the sugar dragon at bay even post multiple Whole30's.

Also, I think if you're still having trouble with eating away stress (or very much wanting to), you might want to stay complaint and focus on working through that issue for a little bit. Keeping a journal is very important in figuring out your triggers, understanding what they are all about, and brainstorming new ways to handle them. Adopting new, healthy habits can take some time. It really isn't always done in just 30 days, unfortunately.

Ari - YAY for completing your whole30!! and I understand about that stupid sugar dragon. it's so frickin rude.

I did a whole100 and STILL have sugar cravings. there were a group of us who did it and looking back days 30-45 or so the cravings we ALL experienced were much stronger than the ones in the beginning pretty much across the board.

I am 2 1/2 weeks out from the completion of my whole100 and have had some sugar in the form of some dark chocolate and some honey in a couple recipes. that's it. and I KNOW I can't go any farther than that or it would be a serious down hill trip. a fast one at that. so yesterday I decided to do what you are doing - coming on here and completing a post-whole30 log. if you read through other people's logs you will see no one is perfect, no one does a whole365, we all have bad days. but what I am hoping to get is to come on here and be accountable and put it down on paper (or screen...whatever). if I don't want to write it down for all the world to see then I'd better not eat it, right?! :)

I spent the past 2 weeks pretty much paralysed for fear of going back to my old eating habits, so I've had to really take a breath and step back, realize that I get to re-set any time I want, and that this road to recovery (specifically, for me, recovery from my sugar addiction and emotional eating) is pretty long. but it's pretty cool because I can come on here and connect with people who are in my exact same position with the same feelings, emotions, and problems surrounding my relationship with sugar.

I think awareness is half the battle. Many of us do well with strict rules. We canNOT have sugar for 30 days. Period. So we do our best not to think about it. Once those 30 days are up, the rules are eased, we can make our own decisions, and that's where the trouble starts. Some people add back a bit of honey in their coffee, some do a paleo dessert or two. And for many, the little voices come back, because now they can 'reason' with you. "It's okay." "A little won't hurt."

Jess is right. None of us can do this perfectly, for many it takes much longer than 30 days to slay a dragon, and we can call a halt and push the reset button any time we want. It helps me to know there are others involved in the same struggles. Stick around. We'll all figure it out together.

I do agree, awareness is truly half the battle. I find it somewhat comforting to know that it won't be easy. Freedom from sugar for me, would be epic...not something that would happen in 30 days. I can imagine that it must take some people years or even longer to feel stable toward sugar. There are so many memories and feelings associated with sugar- aside from it just tasting REALLY good.

Jtandi, congratulations on approaching your Whole100, that is incredible! You must be very proud of yourself!!

Thank you guys for the input, I guess the first 30 days I spent waking up to my habits. Now I can spend the next 30 days examining them ^_^

Ugh, so embarrassing. I posted an entire response and I meant to post it on a different thread since I have two tabs open right now. Now this is awkwardly sitting here since i can't figure out how to delete it... :)

Archived