Day 7, Feeling Crummy

Day 7 of my Whole 30. I haven't had any other "symptoms" - I've been off refined carbs and all added sugar for a year, so I sort of thought this wouldn't happen. Any tips, advice, or commiseration? I'm tired and cranky, and I've been going to bed early (thought not necessarily sleeping well) and doing a healthy level of exercise, including a rest day yesterday. Misery loves company?

Crummy like how? I went back and reread my blog for days 6 and 7, and though I wasn't feeling crummy, I was having some grossly severe gastro intestinal issues! I was working my weekend winter job at the time (with kids, outside skiing) and completely increased the size of my meals to compensate for the energy I knew I would be expending. I have found that by increasing meal size in general, (more protein, more veggies) that I tend to feel better and overall am just more pleasant to be around (me with me, as well as me with other people).

It's day 7 for me too, and I feel exhausted and headachey. Aside from day 2, this is the first time I've really felt bad. It sounds like you are responding in a healthy way; trying to get more sleep and healthy exercise. Me? I am binge eating compliant foods (bananas, nut butters, pecans), staying up late and whining. I felt like I could hardly move today. I haven't been off of sugar like you have, so I deserve this- but, still, no fun.

Care to share any tips to your success in staying off of sugar for the past year? That is awesome! I've tried several times, and I can't seem to kick it.

A) make sure you're getting enough carbs to support your activity level. Cutting out the breads and pastas can decimate a person's carb levels, and it's easy to forget to replace those calories.

A1) while we don't want you to prop up a sugar habit by replacing it with fruit, it's still important to get some starch into your diet. Sweet potatoes can take the edge of the carb flu off.

B) rather than reaching for carbs when/if you're craving, try grabbing some protein and fat.

Yeah, I guess just tired and irritable. It could be because I teach high school seniors and it's May, ergo they are all acting like ninnies, but I'd been feeling good to this point. I see your points about carbs, except that I wasn't eating breads, pastas, etc. before this - I've pretty much been off grains for a year, except oatmeal, which I haven't had in months.

More tomorrow - I need to get some sleep! Thanks for the replies, everyone - it's just nice to know there are others out there who will listen without judging. Suffice it to say, my friends do NOT get it. I've been labeled the crazy food freak. Alas, alas, I feel the same about them! :)

Archived