I had a physical during my Whole 30

TBinSD

Now I know you're not supposed to take any measurements during the Whole 30, but I did have a physical scheduled and I wasn't about to wait another 3-5 weeks to reschedule. So I didn't technically take any measurements myself, but . . .

More than the weight -- which was totally obvious by just looking at me and my baggy clothes -- it was the internal stuff that changed that's pretty impressive. In January I had a physical where the results pretty much led me to make some big lifestyle changes. I've always been active and athletic, but I was getting fat, slow and unhealthy (at least for me). After that physical I stepped up my workouts, moved to a more paleo diet (cut out most grains and a lot of other sugary foods), and basically stopped drinking on a regular basis.

In January my results were:

Weight 190 (Ht is 5'9")

BP 138/80

LDL 132

HDL 17

Triglycerides 175

Almost 4 months to the day, I went in for my second physical (for a new health plan):

Weight 165 (still only 5'9" though)

BP 112/70

LDL 111

HDL 52

Triglycerides 60

That's a pretty significant change in 4 months! I'm on day 24 of my W30 now and I feel great, look great and under the hood -- everything is working like a charm. They were even concerned about my 'low' heart rate -- 37-40bpm resting! I just had an ECG/ultrasound to make sure the ticker is all good too and that thing is strong like bull!

So as a skeptic, I'd have to say that I've proven (to myself) that the paleo diet is a lifestyle change that was 100% worth it! It worked for me on almost every level -- mental, physical, emotional . . . and the W30 helped me to look at food/meals a bit different and kicked things up a notch. I hope this helps to motivate a couple of people because the results are quick and noticeable for sure. Cheers!

• Moderators

Thanks for sharing. This was a totally appropriate act of measurement during a Whole30. :)

I thought a low resting heart rate was normal for a fit person. Back when I was a marathon runner, I worried that my resting heart rate was too high because I was not as low as elite runners.

Tom, my doctor was worried that my heart might be enlarged so that's why she sent me to the cardiologist. I'm glad I went too -- nothing like knowing your heart is strong! All those years of running and surfing have paid off!

Archived