Too many (even Paleo) carbs prevent fat adaption?

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this has been addressed before but I can't find anything on the subject...

Is there a number of carb grams we should be shooting below to achieve fat adaption, or a number of servings of fruit/starchy carbs we should be limiting ourselves to each day?

Not that I feel I'm going overboard with my consumption or anything but am just curious...

Thanks!

Depends on your activity level somewhat. If you're an Olympic swimmer, you'll naturally need more carbs than someone like me who is seated for most of a 12 hour shift. More information and you'll get a better answer.

I would imagine that if you eat within the meal template, you'll become fat adapted and you won't have to think too much about it. I'm about your size and I walk but don't do much other exercise (faking it in tap dancing class once a week is not exactly high impact :lol: ). Becoming fat adapted didn't take terribly long and, for me, wasn't too wrenching a process. The thing is that eating sufficient fat helps with cravings in the early days/weeks of Whole30 - so it all works together.

Here. Have an avocado. :wub:

• Moderators

Honestly, I don't know, but if I did, I would not tell you because calculating how many carb grams or carb servings you should ideally eat is not consistent with achieving a healthy relationship with food. Counting, weighing, and measuring makes you crazy and makes it difficult for you to listen to your body, so the Whole30 goes in a different direction.

Specifically: Eat a palm-size serving of meat with a thumb-size portion of fat, fill your plate with veggies, eat more if you are hungry. Eat starchy carbs as required to support activity levels and energy needs.

The guidelines lead to trial and error where you try something and if it works well, you keep doing it. If it doesn't work well, you adjust up or down. This design is not because the Whole9 wants to torture you, but because we have seen what happens when people try to apply more detailed directions. They twist themselves into pretzels or blow themselves up trying to make their bodies fit something that is unnatural to them.

Archived