Hungry a lot

kostyalevin

Hey all, this is probably gonna be long, but I would appreciate some help!

(also please excuse any errors in language, English is not my first language)

I am now at the end of day two of the whole30 program, and I am really, really hungry.

I am wondering if this is just something caused by the lack of grains (I usually eat a lot of bread, 6-8 slices a day) and that it's something that my body has to adjust to, or if there is something that I can do about it.

What I've been eating:

Day one:

Breakfast

2 egg omelette with spinach and 1/2 avocado

1/2 apple

Lunch

2 sweet potato cups (http://swisspaleo.ch/sweet-potato-cups-filled-with-chicken-curry/) with 1/4 butternut squash and 1/2 bell pepper

Snack

half a meatball (I was so hungry but dinner was supposed to be in less than 1 hr)

Dinner

1 beef steak, cooked carrots, 2 sweet potato cups

10 strawberries

Day two:

Breakfast

2 sweet potato cups, cooked carrots

post workout (1 hr cardio +weight lifting)

frozen berries, almond milk, spinach, wheat grass

Lunch

plate full of spinach and arugola, half a bell pepper, 1/4 avocado, 1 cooked egg, olive oil for dressing 

Snack

almonds

Dinner

1 chicken filet with mixed vegetables (onion, zucchini, bell pepper, garlic) with spices and water+coconut flour to make it "saucy"

1 hr after dinner I had another serving of this with 1/4 avocado

It is now half past 9 pm and I feel like I am starving.

I've had a history with eating disorders and I'm scared that I might be undereating, which I feel is kinda dangerous for me. Does anyone have tips on how to improve my whole30 experience, and maybe some things that I could eat now? 

Hi!  Your English is just fine :)

You are starving!  My opinion is you need to be eating a lot more protein and more fat.  For example your day two breakfast needed some meat or eggs with it and maybe even a side of avocado.  Your day 2 lunch with just one cooked egg isn't enough, especially if you are also working out.

For me, I find if I do not eat enough fat, I get really hungry.  I eat a least one whole avocado a day while on whole30.  

Was that a juiced drink or smoothie that you had day 2 post-workout? Such drinks are discouraged on the Whole 30. Not as satiating as chewing the food whole. 

Are you drinking enough water? Aim for at least half your body weight in ounces.

Your snacks should be a mini meal including a protein and fat.

Watch the fruit portions: just 1-2 servings per day, at or immediately after a meal, with each serving being the size of your fist.

I noticed a few things from your food log:

1) Your meals do seem small to me. I looked up those sweet potato cups...I'm not a big girl, and I could probably eat 3 of those easily! When you have eggs (like your day 1 breakfast and day 2 lunch), you should have as many as you can hold in your hand. I bet you can hold 3 or 4. You could also load up on a lot more vegetables. I have 2 or 3 cups of steamed vegetables with every single meal; that's on top of whatever is in my stew/casserole/whatever.

2) You could definitely stand to add more fat. Do you like olives? Or maybe just increase the amount of avocado if that's your favorite.

3) Snacks are OK...but you should try and make them like a small meal. Almonds by themselves are not a good snack. I often have a single hardboiled egg plus maybe 1/2 a cucumber or an entire red pepper.

4) Post-workout...was that a smoothie? Those are really not recommended.

I don't think it's uncommon to feel a little hungry at the beginning; part of it might just be carb cravings, which could take awhile longer to subside. You definitely don't want to be feeling really hungry all the time though. Definitely eat if you feel that you need to, and try to relax about the amount of food you're eating. In a few weeks your hunger signals should be more trustworthy and you might find yourself eating less or relying on snacks less.

Edit: removed my comment about wheat grass. Apparently it is allowed.

Thank you, GFChris and JJB!

It wasn't a smoothie, Just frozen fruit and wheat grass with the almond milk. I'd figured out that those weren't allowed! I didn't know about the snack being supposed to be a mini meal, I only figured that out this evening when I was looking around on the forum.

And JJB, thank you for your comment about relaxing about the amount of food... It's definitely something that I have to learn. After stressing out about eating too much for so many years, now it's actually the other way around, but I feel like my hunger signals might not be too trustworthy.

Thanks to all of you for your help! I will try out your tips and see how it goes. 

I was thinking about this some more.  I usually have a container full of golden cauliflower soup or butternut squash soup in my refrigerator and will have a small bowl or cup of it while my meal is cooking.  It's filling, warm, tasty and a nice way to get extra vegetables in.  That might help you too.

I was hungry every 2 hours the first week of my whole30, but after my body adjusted, it's not really an issue anymore. I go 5 hours between meals. It helped alot though to add more veggies to my breakfast. And I agree that you should eat more, that doesn't seem like enough food, lots more fat and protein. If you were eating lots of bread and grains before, that's alot of calories that now you need to replace with something. Since veggies are so low in calories, the best place to get those missing calories is from fat. Remember, fat doesn't make you fat!

Here's the cauliflower soup recipe http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/10/24/golden-cauliflower-soup/  It's not in metric but you get the basic idea.  I don't use the recipe anymore.  After I saute the onion/garlic, I just cook the cauliflower and carrots in broth or water until they are are the mashable stage, puree with my stick blender and then add the coconut milk.  I don't even measure.  It always works out!

Yup everyone has given you great advice! Definitely you should be adding more food to your meals. Don't fear real food! I'm only 5'4" and I can hold 4 eggs in my hand and eat those 4 eggs almost every morning. Stick to and trust the meal template and you will do fine.

Archived