Any pregnant ladies starting a whole30 in Jan or Feb?

I save the bones from meat that we eat.  The current batch of bone broth in my fridge was made with a conventional chicken; I was in the mood for soup so I made a quick broth with the whole chicken (minus the breasts), then once the broth was done, I took the bones, cut them in half, and stuck them in my crock pot for 24 hours.  Not ideally sourced, but good stuff regardless.  I usually buy bone-in everything so that I have plenty of bones in my freezer waiting to be turned into bone broth.

You can also get bones from USWellness Meats.  Have you checked eatwild.org?  If you've got a farmer's market nearby, you can ask the meat vendors if they could sell you bones, too.  When we bought a quarter cow up in Virginia, the farm we bought it from threw in a bunch of extra bones for next to nothing, just because most people don't want them.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the USWellness Meats page where they sell bones: http://www.grasslandbeef.com/Categories.bok?category=Grassland+Beef%3ATallow%2C+Marrow+%26+Broth+Products

If you don't want to order from them, go for cheap, bone-in cuts.  Some of the best cuts for bone broth include beef shanks and oxtails.  Once you've made the broth, you can save the meat for other uses (shredded beef is super versatile).

I'm 29 weeks and started my first Whole30 yesterday.  Been off and on paleo for a few years but really fell off with the first two trimesters.  Like someone else said, I ate what I could in the 1st and then didn't really get back on track in the 2nd.  Add the holidays to that and I'm feeling pretty gross and in need of getting back on track before my little one shows up.

Does anyone have thoughts about the right about of fruit/starchy vegetables?  I ate three good meals yesterday full of protein, fat and veggies and some snacks but woke up this morning starving.  I don't want to overload on foods that defeat the purpose of Whole30 but I also don't want to end up going too low carb since I know my body needs a certain amount of (good) carbs for pregnancy.  Any thoughts?

Recommendations on fruit are 1-2 servings a day with meals. There are no real limitations on starchy vegetables as long as you are getting a good variety. You are correct that during pregnancy you need more carbs. The W30 is not designed to be low carb per say but people's mileage will vary. Also having mini meal snacks (protein, veg, and fat) is perfectly acceptable especially during pregnancy. Right now your primary focus is on delivering a healthy baby so make sure your body gets what it needs.

Recommendations on fruit are 1-2 servings a day with meals. There are no real limitations on starchy vegetables as long as you are getting a good variety. You are correct that during pregnancy you need more carbs. The W30 is not designed to be low carb per say but people's mileage will vary. Also having mini meal snacks (protein, veg, and fat) is perfectly acceptable especially during pregnancy. Right now your primary focus is on delivering a healthy baby so make sure your body gets what it needs.

Thanks. This early into the W30 I'm still having trouble telling real hunger for sugar cravings.

I just started whole 30 on Jan 1 too! I am 25 weeks along, have gained 17lbs of which I feel are too much since most of it is from processed junk food. I was one of the fortunate ones who did not have a moment of nausea so far, so needless to say, I have no problem eating! 

My question is, even though I have completed day 3 without eating anything "non-paleo", I do have to confess, I was super hungry today and ended up eating 2 bananas, 3 cutie mandarin oranges, 2 handfuls of walnuts, and 3 apples, and that was in between meals. I'm hoping my appetite will become more controllable as I progress through the 30 days, but I'm afraid that all the natural sugars may hinder my progress…. 

Any thoughts???

@joydesiree, I don't think it will hinder your progress, unless you are not balancing your meals. What may happen is that it will be harder for sugar cravings to go away. Don't let yourself be hungry though, that can be bad for you and the baby, instead eat more proteins and veggies.

I started decided that I would seriously start on Monday the 6th. but I did start eliminating all the bad stuff. I need to plan my meals better to avoid being hungry.

I can't join the FB group because I don't have a facebook account by choice. So I signed up for my fitness pal, to keep a dairy of what I eat and also take advantage of the whole30 groups. Look me up if you have an account.

My username is Marmelg72.

@joydesiree, I find that I always overload on the fruit when I'm thirsty.  Yesterday, I ate two apples, basically right in a row, before I realized that the reason they tasted so amazing was because I really needed water.  If you're worried about eating too much fruit, maybe drink some water (maybe even get an infuser so you can put fruit flavor into your water) and see how you feel after that. 

I think fruit is really only a problem when you're trying to kick a sugar addiction -- if the fruit makes you want to dive face first into a pile of cookies, then the fruit is an issue.  :) 

Another option is to replace the fruit with some fats.  If you're hungry between meals, sip on a can of full-fat coconut milk, or eat half of an avocado.  That may hold you over longer than all the fruit will.

Just some thoughts!

I am 21 weeks and 6 days today and we just started our second Whole30 journey. I made it through 17 days on our first attempt before I got pregnant and my first trimester food aversions began. I went at the first trimester HARD and by hard I ate Ice Cream and anything processed I could find. Any time I tried to eat healthy my stomach would not handle it. I know my glucose test is coming up and I know if I don't get my stuff together I'll end up with gestational diabetes and I really don't want that. 

My one question is snacking... Are we allowed to snack since we're pregnant? Obviously only when necessary but what should I be snacking on? Protein and veggies? Usually my go to has been a red apple, is that still okay?

Absolutely!  The three meal limit does not apply to pregnant or breastfeeding moms.  Just "mini meals".  A boiled egg is perfect if you just need something small.  Then follow up with veggies or whatever else compliant that strikes your fancy :)  I think the amount of fruit that you need is going to depend on each individual person.  My sister needs to have a little bit more fruit than what is "strictly" compliant because she gets migraines and is a raging banshee otherwise (her words ;)

And I know that a lot of people don't agree with me but no one will ever be able to convince me that an apple is the same as a candy bar.  As long as you are getting a good supply of veggies and not living on only (or mostly) fruits then you are fine.  Grow that baby!

I just started whole 30 on Jan 1 too! I am 25 weeks along, have gained 17lbs of which I feel are too much since most of it is from processed junk food. I was one of the fortunate ones who did not have a moment of nausea so far, so needless to say, I have no problem eating! 

My question is, even though I have completed day 3 without eating anything "non-paleo", I do have to confess, I was super hungry today and ended up eating 2 bananas, 3 cutie mandarin oranges, 2 handfuls of walnuts, and 3 apples, and that was in between meals. I'm hoping my appetite will become more controllable as I progress through the 30 days, but I'm afraid that all the natural sugars may hinder my progress…. 

Any thoughts???

I would try changing what you snack on when you're feeling like you're hungry between meals. I would have some protein (lunch meat or HB eggs) with some veggies and a good fat. I also found out during my first Whole30 I was eating the "wrong" amounts of veggies, ie high glycemic index fruits so I was craving more sugar because of what I chose as my veggies. 

Just to back up what was already said here, it is perfectly fine to eat more than 3 meals when you are pregnant but make those snacks mini meals. No an apple is not the same as a candy bar. But snacking on fruit by itself is not satiating and will still cause a blood sugar spike that will make you hungrier than if you were to eat an egg and some carrot sticks.

Hello All!

I started on Jan. 1st and today found out that I'm pregnant with baby #2! I'm so happy to be starting this pregnancy off right with a great diet and all of the support from you ladies. 

I'm also a student of Traditional Chinese Medicine, and from that standpoint, I wholeheartedly recommend Bone Broth for everyone, pregnant or breastfeeding. It is so nutritious for you and baby. And plain ginger tea is great for nausea, but don't over do it. Ginger is a very "warming" herb.

And if that isn't doing the trick, try to find an experienced Acupuncturist in your area. IF you're strapped for cash and have a Traditional Chinese Medicine school nearby, find out if they have a student clinic. They can help with nausea, low energy, aches and pains, and sleep issues, just to name a few. 

WishGarden is a brand of tinctures that I used when pregnant and breast feeding last time, but since it's extracted with alcohol and glycerin, I wouldn't say that it's Whole30 compliant. However, if you're miserable with morning sickness, it's worth a shot. I LOVED them.

Best of luck and congratulations!

-Christy

For those who have done a Whole30 before - how did your experience compare to "the timeline?"  I'm having all of the days that are described but on a completely different time frame/in a different order.  I know everyone's experience varies but I'm just curious. My diet before wasn't horrible but it wasn't great either.

@e23 --- I followed the timeline pretty much but everything seemed to happen a day or so later and it seemed to linger for awhile. Like, I felt like a had a cold and was tired for what seemed like a week. Maybe less in intensity but I didn't really feel right for awhile. And I never did get the tiger blood thing, but then again, I was pregnant and didn't know it. So maybe that's why?

I only did a week but never had the hangover (which is good for me).  I hate horribly before but my only side effect was that I was always STARVING (even as I stuffed my face with steak).  We had our whole family do it (7 of us) but it got to be too expensive so we stopped.  Now my husband and I are the only one's who are really doing it and the kids still get dairy or whatever else is filling up our cupboards.

I'm breastfeeding and I just started the program today for the first time! I was supposed to start with my hubby, but he got sick and wasn't sure he could be very responsible while he was feeling crappy. I thought briefly about waiting for him, but then I realized I'd probably just keep coming up with more excuses as to why I could put it off longer.

I think what's going to be hardest for me during this 30 days is the "try to eat 3 meals a day and avoid snacking" part. I get hungry pretty often! But I know I can do anything for 30 days, and with the way I ate over the holidays, I can definitely stand not to be eating all day!

Good luck, Everyone! We can do this!

For those who have done a Whole30 before - how did your experience compare to "the timeline?"  I'm having all of the days that are described but on a completely different time frame/in a different order.  I know everyone's experience varies but I'm just curious. My diet before wasn't horrible but it wasn't great either.

The timeline is pretty generalized based on the reported feedback of participants over the years. I was mostly Paleo already when I did mine and I still had a kill all the things days about on time. Basically your mileage may vary based on what your body is doing/needs to do. It is offered as a guideline so that people don't think they are weird when they experience those things. Don't worry about it too much.

Hey Yall!

I am 24 weeks with my first, and ready to make some adjustments! I got pregnant during my first successful whole30 this summer. I am glad I have that under my belt, so I know what it takes... I don't think I personally would want to do this for the first time while pregnant for the first time! 

My health is great, my weight is good, my motivation is more related to clearing up some little annoyances (digestion and mucus) that I develop when eating too much dairy. I've been consistently gluten free, so that isn't much of an issue for me, but I do love some natural sweets like honey, molasses, dried fruit and the occasional (cough cough, every other day) gummy bears or jelly beans. So, I'm sure my sugar dragon needs to be put in her place again. As far as being extremely 'strict'... I think its a personal choice about what feels right for each of us. I for one, think this is a time to MINIMIZE stress, not increase it!

And even on the first 30 I did, I included white potatoes, because I needed more starchy carbs and because my experience with nutrition has lead me to information that suggests they are in fact very good for us, if grown in healthy soil without pesticides. So, I personally feel empowered about my health to make that choice. 

I think I'll be starting mid or late month, at the very latest going into my 7th month of pregnancy. 

I hope to see some of you all when I get there! 

AB

I am having a hard time with breakfast, I eat eggs but I am kind of tired of them and I don't like any meats so early. In addition, I need coffee in the morning but I can't drink it black and I tried it with coconut milk, but it still does not taste good. Any suggestions?

I am having a hard time with breakfast, I eat eggs but I am kind of tired of them and I don't like any meats so early. In addition, I need coffee in the morning but I can't drink it black and I tried it with coconut milk, but it still does not taste good. Any suggestions?

Have you tried blending black coffee with coconut oil and clarified butter? I mix mine in a blender, it's silky smooth and a bit more like a latte. It still has a taste that takes some getting used to,but it's definitely not as blunt as plain black lol

Have you tried blending black coffee with coconut oil and clarified butter? I mix mine in a blender, it's silky smooth and a bit more like a latte. It still has a taste that takes some getting used to,but it's definitely not as blunt as plain black lol

I LOVE this.  So silky and delicious, particularly if you add a pinch of cinnamon before you blend. 

@Marmelg - can't help you with the coffee, as I like coffee with cream and sugar, so I just give it up during the Whole30. As for breakfast, I sometimes make a breakfast pudding. Heat 2 cups coconut milk, 1 15 oz can of pumpkin, and one banana for a few minutes. Add 1 egg, a dash of salt, and some cinnamon and pour into an 8X8 greased pan. top with 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil mixed with about 6 tablespoons of almond meal. bake at 350 for 45 - 60 minutes. Can top with chopped nuts and/or shredded coconut. Maybe some would argue that a "pudding" is SWYPO but I judge those things by how much I crave the item. This pudding serves as a nice change for breakfast but I don't find myself craving it or getting overly excited and thinking too much about when I can have some more - so it seems safe to me. 

Another option is the "monkey salad" with cashews, sliced bananas, and shredded coconut. Pair that with some veggies in the morning? 

I do think breakfast is the hardest meal to figure out. 

Archived