UCslug

I am starting my first W30 on Tuesday and am feeling good about following most rules but need some help with the "snack" rule. I work early so I generally have to have breakfast by 6:45am and then don't have lunch until 1pm. I can't make it through all that time without at least something to hold me over. I have been working on reducing the amount I eat, but still am starving by 10 or 11am. I generally eat either carrots with celery or a handful of nuts and a quarter of the pear (the other 2-3 quarters I eat with lunch). I know there isn't "technically" a rule against snacking other than to try and have a mini meal if I do snack. Any ideas about compliant things one could eat for a morning snack? I can make it through from lunch to dinner and I do eat a large breakfast so I can't just add more there.

Thanks for any ideas! 

• 2 hard boiled eggs, carrots/celery, and a handful of olives 

egg or chicken salad w/ veggies for dipping (the egg/chicken salad made with mayo takes care of your fat source) 

piece of chicken wrapped in lettuce w/ sliced avocado and tomato

egg muffins w/ raw veggies 

small salad w/ leftover ground meat, salsa, avocado and anything else you want to put in it

I think you will be surprised that you may be able to go 6 hours without food.  It really can happen and your body will really like it.

That being said, any small meal of protein, fat, and veggie will work.  It is probably a best practice to avoid nuts and fruits in between meals.  These are best as part of a meal.

For my husband, I often pack a small container of beef stew, lamb curry, soup....anything we eat ... and freeze it for him to have in a pinch.  I add mushroom, carrot, and/or sweet potato to almost all of my ground meats, so meatballs, taco meat, and meatloaf already have protein, fat, and veggie and make a nice couple of bites.  Proscuito and asparagus or another veggie is also nice.  (Applegate sells compliant prosciutto.)  When in doubt, I err on the side of fat, specifically green olives because I find that they battle sugar cravings better than something like coconut flakes.

I think it is important to treat this just like a meal.  Decide if you are really hungry then sit with the mini-meal and savor it.  Re-evaulate each day to see if you need it.  You may be able to increase your other meals and more not need it anymore.

If I just happen to have a day I'm starving, my quick thoughtless snack it hard boiled egg that I can buy in the cafe at my work, or raw nuts (also available in the cafe).  If I pack a snack, its usually an avocado that I sprinkle with a little sea salt and a few squirts of lime.  Those are the only snacks I do, if i need to snack b/c I'm doing something at work that doesn't allow me to eat my lunch at that moment.

ETA:  I will also sometimes do olives.

Thank you all for your great ideas! I am on Day 5 now and while I can't quite make it in the morning without a snack, I have reduced the amount I eat and am working towards making it from breakfast until lunch! I love all your recommendations and will be trying them this week! 

Archived