Eye Vitamins without soy

Bet

Hi, I did two W30s previously and need to get back on the wagon. I've gotten very lax in my foods and gained weight and don't feel that great. I am ok knowing what foods I can/can't have but one thing is a problem. I've been told by my eye doctor that I have the markings of Macular Degeneration. My Mom has it and it has affected her eyesight. I don't have any eye issues yet, but apparently they take years to manifest. I've been prescribed these vitamins that are supposed to help. I've been taking them for a few weeks and just notice they have soybean oil in them. I am wondering if anyone takes these vitamins or other eye vitamins that I could substitute for 30 days.  Here are the important ingredients in the vitamins:

Vitamins C, E, Zinc and Copper I am sure I could find those

Lutein and Zeaxanthin.

I did find these other combo vitamins that have all the ingredients but have Lactose Monohydrate in them. Is that allowed on W30? I am not even sure what it is.

Prescribed medications trump Whole30 so you can continue taking them if that's what the Dr has ordered.

That said I'd opt for Lactose over Soy any day of the week - just my (non medical expert) opinion though!

• Moderators

What she said.

But for reassurance, eating a good, Whole30 menu would supply all these vitamins nicely. You might have absorption issues and benefit from supplementing too, but there is nothing exotic or unusual about these vitamins.  

This Wikipedia article identifies good dietary sources of lutien and zeaxanthin: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutein

green leafy vegetables such as spinach, kale and yellow carrots. In green plants,

Ugh, due to Chrohn's issues, I can't eat most green leafy veggies, but I do eat a lot of carrots. I'll take a trip to the Vitamin Shoppe and see what they have.

Thanks, it's good to be back! I feel healthier already and I haven't started yet.

• 4 weeks later...

I am just starting the whole30 day 2. I've also been searching for a lutein supplement without traces of soy lecithin. The one I have does contain that. By country life, I got it at sprouts. I was able to change my d3 to a compliant liquid form, but this one I'm having trouble. As much as I want to be perfect and a stickler (and am doing so!) , it makes me uncomfortable to not take these supplements. My eye dr has told me to take them. My mother also has macular degeneration and gets shots twice a month in her eye for it. It's scary. So, with that being said , I realize there are many foods with these ingredients I need and I plan on eating more of them to hopefully prolong what might be my fate, but I want to be sure to get all that I need. if anyone hears of any supplements without any of these things that are just straight lutein and zeaxanthin I would love to know, I'll change it in a second. I'm not sure what else to do. Thanks!

Archived