WholeLent 2016 - starting February 10th.

angledge

I am really enjoying having a solid meal that isn't carb heavy. Not hungry between meals, but am ready for mealtime when it comes!

Feeling pretty tired still, but have dropped what feels like a gallon of fluid, so not feeling so bloated. So looking forward to just feeling better and better.  :)

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good sermon today on baptism today. Feeling good on Day 23 here . . . .  Had a decently paced 8-mile run. Baked up some tilapia and chicken for the week and chopped a ton of veggies. It feels good to respect my body. 

Hope everyone is feeling strong or at least committed!

Nothing Earth shattering to report.  I have been extremely irritable and really tired the last few days.  According to the time line thing that's to be expected.  But I'm done with it.  I'm ready to feel that alertness and energy everyone talks about.  

I made some delicious sweet potato and apple hash for breakfast this morning, it was crispy and yummy and delicious!  I also discovered I don't care for Almond Butter.  I know we were warned to be sparing with nuts and nut butters so this shouldn't be a problem.  

The physical changes have started to show up.  On the plus side, I'm much less bloated and have been able to get my ring off which is a nice sign.  On the other hand, I had a crazy acne break out yesterday and today.  I felt very 14.

Keep at it, everyone.  I hope that, even if you're experiencing less than positive things, that you'll take a moment to refocus on why you chose this time, now.  

I am doing ok...just plugging away.

Feeling tired today.  But it's also Sunday...and usually, this is a quiet, restful day for me.

I am about to eat a lovely pot roast for dinner, with carrots, onions and some roasted brussels sprouts, some ranch dressing.  

I plan to watch Julie and Julia tonight--a movie, really, about using food to heal you...(the blogger, to help her heal from the devastation of 9/11) and I thought that would be a great one to watch tonight, as we are all, in some form or fashion, using Whole30 to heal something--our relationship with food, medical issues...you name it.  

Happy to be journeying with you.

J

Jane: Good movie choice! I like the theme.

Morning to all. I'm on Day 24 of my Whole30 (still not sure how long into Lent I will go, but I'm here for now) and FINALLY feeling really, really GOOD. Was ready to get out of bed and run 7 miles, so yay. And then I was able to fit into a pair of pants that I really hadn't been able to button for a while. They fit WELL now--not tightly. I am so pleased. :)

So I guess I'm here to say that my tiger blood is coming a little late, but bring it on! Let's make good choices today. I'm thinking of the parable of the mustard seed . . . keep that seemingly small speck of faith in yourselves, all, and watch it grow.

Hey everyone. I had a lovely weekend - I went skiing on Saturday, visited the zoo yesterday, & went out to dinner for Valentine's Day last night. However.... despite my efforts to check all the ingredients at the restaurant last night, I ended up eating a dish with butter in it. So today is back to Day 1 for me.

FINE. That's fine! I'll start over, stick with this thread, & just take the lesson that eating out is always a matter of intense diligence.

Just finished day 6. Fighting off a cold today. Am really liking the recipe ideas. I'm a good cook so sometimes I just need some new things to try. Made an excellent dish tonight - ground turkey, spinach, spaghetti squash, cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms, olive oil and apple cider vinegar - yum! very pleased how I made it through the weekend without all my usual beer, pizza, ice cream etc. My tummy isn't bloated, my low back doesn't hurt and my legs are way less stiff, yippee!

Day 7 and doing okay.  My stomach hurts a bit.  I can't decide if it's leftovers from the violent stomach bug that ravaged our family a while back that we haven't completely recovered from, or if my body is freaking out about all the vegetables and missing the easy to digest junk foods.   Either way, I'm ready to be feeling better.

Yesterday was an exhaustion nightmare.  I was SOOOO tired.  Like, first trimester of pregnancy tired.  I couldn't have gone out to get the mail if you'd told me it was full of compliant bacon!  Today is better though.  I can think like a human being again.  I'm still not seeing the "Tiger Blood" energy, but that's not for a few more days, so I'll tough it out.

I had to return my Whole30 book to the library yesterday and I feel a little rudderless.  But I'm stalking Pinterest and coming up with lots of good recipes, so I'll be okay.  For dinner last night we had pork chops, sweet potato fries and garlic lemon green beans.  It was delicious!

Hey all:

I made this delicious stir fry for dinner last night. It was fast, easy -- and there were no leftovers, because it was so tasty that we ate the entire batch! It's somewhat spicy (I am a bad judge of spiciness, because I love spicy food), but you could easily adjust the spice level by adding or subtracting curry paste. I used "Thai Kitchen Red Curry Paste", which comes in a 4-oz. jar & is available in many grocery stores.

Thai Red Curry with Shrimp and Snow Peas

2 tablespoons coconut oil
1/2 whole sliced red chile pepper
1 whole large red pepper
2 tablespoons thick/concentrated red curry paste
1 pound shrimp
1 can 13.5-oz. coconut milk
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 cup snow peas
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped 
1/2 whole lime, juiced 

1.  Slice the bell pepper and fresh chile.

2.  Take cilantro leaves off their stalks, chop up the stalks finely.

3.  Heat a large frying pan on medium heat and when it's hot add coconut oil.

4.  Then add chopped cilantro stalks, sliced pepper and chile, stir fry for a couple of minutes.

5.  Add your curry paste and cook it while stirring for a minute, then pour in coconut milk and fish sauce, mix to combine.

6.  Add your shrimp and snow peas and cook for 3-5 minutes. Both of those need very little time to be done. As soon as shrimp turns pink turn the heat off.

7.  Stir in cilantro leaves.

8.  Taste your curry and squeeze some lime juice into it if needed.

9.  Serve over cauli-rice.

Nice recipes!

Bigmamabird: HANG IN THERE. It does get better.

So my update: HUGE work change (a good one), so my husband and I are going to Mexico Feb. 27th! My new plan: finish this Whole30 (Day 30 is coming up in five days) and then continue with full, compliant Whole30 eating until we leave the 27th. Then eat Paleo mostly, but enjoy a cocktail or something really worth it. And then I am enjoying this so much that I am embarking on a Whole30, Round 2, starting March 7 (when we get back). I'll do reintros after that.

Maybe not a perfect plan, but when is life perfect? Hope it's OK if I stay here to post.

Hello, everyone!

Day 7 underway for me.  I am feeling really good.  Kind of bloaty, though and hoping that passes, and I am AMAZED at how badly I want to get on the scale, to see if all this "is worth it"--as if sleeping well, not feeling foggy, having excellent energy, feeling full and satisfied after eating and until the next meal, breathing clearly in my sinuses, and NOT running to the loo after EACH time I eat or snack (snacking, of course, from before W30)...I came into this at a healthy weight, so I MUST keep battling the Call of the Siren (Scale).  The NON SCALE wins have been ENORMOUSLY satisfying at a deep, psychological level.

Yesterday I took my (adult) kids to see Deadpool--(DO NOT TAKE CHILDREN TO SEE THIS MOVIE!!  :o  ;) ) and sat between them holding the bucket of popcorn.  I didn't eat any of it, and most amazingly, didn't even want any.  I KNOW I have a sensitivity to corn, but that has NEVER stopped me in the past from helping them and myself to at least 2 full buckets at the theater.  I had some almond butter and apple slices in case I needed to eat...but I didn't.

Today I bought a Vegetti (WORST PRODUCT NAME EVER, AM I RIGHT???) and am looking forward to using the heck out of it.

Anyway.  Blessings, all.  Keep up the good work.  You all are WORTH IT.

Jane

I'm going to go ahead and call Day 7 a win. Things I've learned so far:

1. I don't miss sweets.
  2. Or bread.
  3. Eating three meals a day isn't hard.
  4. I don't like broccoli.
  5. The hardest part is not getting on the scale. Luckily, the batteries went out on Day 2 so I've been forced to not weigh myself. (That was my first clue that Fate wanted me to succeed.)
  6. I don't miss dairy, either.
  7. The "steamed fish and broccoli" question works every time.
  8. I'm a little bored, but not bored enough to quit.

Next week is going to be tough. I'm going to a convention Thurs-Sun. Feeling confident I can meet the challenge, though.

• Moderators

I don't like broccoli.

You never have to eat broccoli, there's tons of other options, but if you've never tried it roasted, I really recommend it. I usually try to buy pre-cut, pre-washed broccoli (or a mix of it and cauliflower, sometimes with carrots), because I hate cutting it up (I know that's weird, I can't explain it, I just really hate cutting up broccoli and cauliflower). Anyway, preheat oven to about 425, cut/break your broccoli into bite-sized chunks, toss with whatever oil you like, some salt and pepper and whatever other seasonings you like, and throw it in the oven until the edges start getting brown and crispy, almost burnt looking -- maybe around 20 minutes. So good!

Sounds like everyone is doing pretty great out there - with the exception of boredom, tiredness, and bloat that is! I went through all of those phases too and made it to the other side. You will too  :rolleyes: 

Love yourself enough to do this. Just keep going. You will be so happy you did.

Today is day 46 for me. Super happy that I completed my Whole45, and am planning to continue until day 60 at a minimum. I have a date this week so need to pre-plan so I stay on the program :) 

My WholeLent goal was to meditate everyday, and I missed yesterday. I WAS mindful, and if we were splitting hairs, it could count. It just wasn't what I was consciously committing to do each day. On the bright side, I did some kind of meditation activity each of the other days. So I am back!  Just not as consistent as I would like.

I made a "Spanish Rice" today with frozen cauliflower rice (cooked first). I added sautéed onions, homemade taco seasoning, 1/2 can fire-roasted tomatoes, and cut up pre-cooked chicken. Less than 1/2 hour from idea to conception. Served it with avocado and it was yummy! 

Week One is in the bag!!!!

Last week wasn't nearly as hard as I had feared it might be.  I'm eating a TON and rarely feel hungry.  In fact, if anything I'm a little overfull after a meal.  The food is really good!  I never thought that I'd make a dent in the truckload of produce in my fridge, but I'm going to have to go shopping again soon and am looking forward to scouring Pinterest for next week's meals.

A Non Scale Victory to report, I had to tighten my FitBit by one notch this morning!  And I can see my actual ankles again rather than canckles!  I'm definitely losing puffiness and bloating.  Even around my face.  I accidentally flipped my phone's camera around yesterday and didn't look as Jabba-like as usual.

I'd love to hear everyone's favorite recipe of the week so I could give it a try.  Anyone care to share?

My favorites this past week included:

Coconut cream in my coffee (does this count as the fat at breakfast?)

Chicken meatballs--I made a double batch and I am glad I did! (Whole 30 book)

2 fried eggs with asparagus cooked up in the same pan

Roasted asparagus and sweet potatoes and red I onions with a balsamic reduction (whole 30 book)

I feel...bigger than when I started, but am **assuming** it's bloating still...

Right?

Anyway--here is to a great week!!

I am starting my once a week yoga at work class today--that and the 3-6 miles of walking I try to get in a day should feel great!

Jane

My favorites this past week included:

Coconut cream in my coffee (does this count as the fat at breakfast?)

Chicken meatballs--I made a double batch and I am glad I did! (Whole 30 book)

2 fried eggs with asparagus cooked up in the same pan

Roasted asparagus and sweet potatoes and red I onions with a balsamic reduction (whole 30 book)

I feel...bigger than when I started, but am **assuming** it's bloating still...

Right?

Anyway--here is to a great week!!

I am starting my once a week yoga at work class today--that and the 3-6 miles of walking I try to get in a day should feel great!

Jane

I believe coconut milk counts towards our fat, however, unless you are using 1/4 to 1/2 of a can, it is not enough by itself per the template  ;)

Regarding bloat, I still had it in to the second week. Haven't seen it since!

Jane: You may be in the "for the love of Gosling, my pants are tighter!" phase. That happened to me, too. GREAT JOB on the exercise.

BigMama: Hooray for new Fitbit notches!

Danananda: Love the mindfulness. You are inspiring me.

Day 26. Just committed to Whole30, round 2, distance-style with my best friend, starting March 7. Whee! She is trying to prepare for a healthy pregnancy, and I need another Whole30 because I am still not to "food freedom." But after years of messed-up eating, how would that have been possible in just 30 days? The improvements thus far have been monumental.

My favorite recipe thus far would have to be the Well Fed shepherd's pie.

Happy Day 8 everyone! So last night I had a dream....a food dream I woke up and laughed because it's exactly what says will happen on the timeline (though its a tad early). Also interesting because last night after dinner was the first time I had real cravings for something sweet & a glass of wine. So that may have had something to do with my dream.

Feeling pretty good today, I have been tired the past few days but my son also has an ear infection and the stomach bug, along with my husband so I haven't had a full nights sleep since last Wednesday.

NSV: I have avoided catching this bug myself which I have to attribute, partially at least, to my healthy eating

In December 2014 I hurt my back 5 days before hip replacement surgery (can anyone say "perfect storm"?) I had a very slow rehab as I kept hurting myself and spent a lot of time in my recliner, eating mostly. I am thrilled to bits to be doing this, and especially during Lent when I have a lot of spiritual support as well. NSVs - not hungry at all like I used to be, which was often desperate for something to eat, no snacking or need to. I was having trouble tying my shoes as my belly had increased in size - after just a week I can bend forward just fine and my back doesn't hurt either. My pants which were all getting very uncomfortable are looser.

Am getting into the swing of food prep and would love a good recipe that uses coconut milk. This is such fun, thank you all for doing this. Are you all getting the daily email that you can sign up for for the 30 days? (It's $15 and so worth it)

Archived