WholeLent 2016 - starting February 10th.

angledge

Yesterday when I discovered I had to go back to square one, my immediate thought was, Cheat Day! So, I started thinking: "what can I have?"

The chocolate covered bananas in the freezer? Nah. Not worth it and probably not that good.

A piece of my son's Valentine candy? Definitely not worth it.

Try as I might, I couldn't think of one dessert that would be worth eating, even though I technically could. Last night, I stayed on track with dinner even though I didn't need to, but because I wanted to.

But, the restart has the benefit of showing me my attitudes about what I'm putting in my body are changing and I'm really not tempted at all to eat bread, cheese/dairy or sugar. That is major for me.

Edited to Add: Barnes and Noble had Valentine Godiva chocolate 60% off and I didn't buy it. Two weeks ago I would have bought it and eaten it in the car on the way home.

Love all the WINS here!!!

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday was a hard day for me. I was having a lot of cravings and struggling with what to eat. It's more difficult for me on the days I can't have meat, especially since I forgot to buy my fish. I was feeling a little panicked as dinner time approached, but I took a deep breath and asked my husband to stop at the market on the way home :)

Since the start of this process I have felt pretty bloated. Today I woke up and the bloat has seemed to disappear! That in itself made me sooooo happy I didn't give into temptation yesterday. According to the timeline Days 10 & 11 are when you are most likely to give up. Let's get through today & we got this!!! One bite at a time, one meal at a time, one day at a time!

Anyone else notice there bloat fading away??

I have to start over :( last night I gave in to the pizza that was sitting in our kitchen :( I will be starting the Whole 30 tomorrow! And stocking up today :) 30 days from today is Tuesday March 22nd, so I will still be able to finish my Whole30 before lent is over! 

I am curious, though--how did it taste?  Was it as good as you'd hoped?  or were you kind of...."why did I do this...it's not like I remember"...?

I applaud your commitment to yourself to start over.  

You GO!  :)  We're right here, cheering you on.

J

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! I just happened to read the label on the tuna yesterday -- yes, that's right, the canned tuna I've been relying on heavily since I started Whole30 on Ash Wednesday since I'm pescatarian and cannot stand the sight or smell of eggs. (Not many options left without breaking the bank.)

Well, I don't know why I didn't read the darn label before and just assumed a can of tuna in water contained tuna and water, but there it is: CONTAINS TUNA, SOY. 

Argh. 

So, Friday I was REALLY tired.  I almost jumped for joy when the skies opened up at lunch at work and I couldn't go out for my usual walk.  

I came home after work to find that the few things I'd asked my kids to do throughout the day...didn't get done.  I was hungry, so hungry, and looking forward to making a hamburger with sweet potato "buns" and mayo and a nice side of veggies...but the kitchen was such that...to cook I'd have to unload the dishwasher, clear the counters, get the sink dishes loaded...blah blah...bad word...blah.  So I did all that anyway, then...

reheated POT ROAST for what MUST have been the 80th time.  I gagged that down with a green salad and veggies and sunshine sauce.  

I felt punished and sad, and just..."WHY AM I DOING THIS???"

Later, my son came home from work (Dominos Pizza) with a creation of his own design--a pan crust stretched to a large size, the sauce was the garlic dip, then covered in parmesan and mozarrella, baked and brought home...HOT.

Then, my daughter came home from work (Starbucks) with a frothy, milky concoction and I am just...pissed.

They both (politely, as I've raised them) ask me if I'd like some...and I say, "no thank you" (bad words in my head)...and remind them we'll talk after the 30 days are up...and for them to enjoy...and to please not offer me any...because...

because...

because...

I don't remember.  I don't care.  I just feel...left out and unhappy and hungry and you can't imagine the smell of the dough and the garlic and watching my son lick his fingers, covered in butter and garlic.

Big sigh.

So, I went to bed.  

THEN, my son comes in and says, "hey, mom?  Um...the downstairs toilet is filling up with...um...septic."

and I said, "Holy Sh*t"  (appropriate in this situation...)

We're scrambling, what do we do, what do we do.  The dog takes a dump in the house as we're running about (he's old...sometimes he just doesn't know it's time to go until it's too late, poor thing).

and then we called my husband (finishing his work in Germany, home next week!) and luckily he was available on FaceTime and he talked us through...digging up the yard to get to the icky stuff and poke it all and clear it all and get things moving again...

All this in the POURING, DRIVING, COLD rain, 10:30 at night, with flashlights and rubber boots and I am just...PISSED and hungry and whatever.  Life is suck.

My son saves the day...doing all the dirty work...crisis averted, blah blah...(the water table is SO high here where I am in the PNW--record rainfall this season)

I stayed up until midnight, starting laundry, cleaning...

and then I went to bed.  

no pizza, no wine, no frothy starbucks drink, no valentines candy...no marshmallows, no crepes, no popcorn covered in butter...(fridays generally have been my pig out nights...)

I woke this morning, had my frittata and avocado and salsa, my coffee with coconut cream...a big walk with the dog...and blammo. 

Day 11 is on like Donkey Kong.

Yesterday was hard.  

Keep on it, everyone.  No matter what you're facing...you're up to it.  And if you biff it...dust off and keep going.  YOU are WORTH it!!

Jane

Jane, I loved your story. Sounds like yesterday was a "terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day" for the books! One thing after another!

MB and Margaret, sorry about the soy and pizza :(

You all are real troopers!

Day 11 has been fine, but not great. I'm fighting a cold and am super tired and cranky. Bored with food and wintertime and just blah. But there's a lovely pork roast in the crock pot and a seed catalog that just arrived in the mail, so all is not lost.

How is everybody doing?  I'm on day 11 and struggling but have not given up!  My challenge is I'm dropping weight too fast (yes I looked!  I'm training for a half marathon and can't afford to be burning off muscle with this high mileage)  So I'm trying to increase my calorie intake and since I am a picky pescatarian - - eat only salmon and tuna - - - the lack of higher calorie protein sources is becoming a problem.  Feel like I'm full all the time because I have to come up with about 2,000 a day .....from vegetables, fruit and 2 kinds of seafood.  Ok.... I'm whining....but I'm figuring it out.....

• Moderators

How is everybody doing?  I'm on day 11 and struggling but have not given up!  My challenge is I'm dropping weight too fast (yes I looked!  I'm training for a half marathon and can't afford to be burning off muscle with this high mileage)  So I'm trying to increase my calorie intake and since I am a picky pescatarian - - eat only salmon and tuna - - - the lack of higher calorie protein sources is becoming a problem.  Feel like I'm full all the time because I have to come up with about 2,000 a day .....from vegetables, fruit and 2 kinds of seafood.  Ok.... I'm whining....but I'm figuring it out.....

You might want to take a look at this article about keeping weight on during your Whole30. Be sure you're eating plenty of fat, and having starchy vegetables -- both good ways to up the calories. Fats especially can add a lot of calories without a lot of volume -- buy tuna packed in olive oil, drizzle oil or sauces made from oil over your foods prior to serving. If you want more specific feedback, head over to the Troubleshooting section of the forum and start a thread listing a couple of days' worth of food including approximate portion sizes, the fact that you're trying to keep weight on, and how much you're exercising, and we can give you better feedback.

• Moderators

So, Friday I was REALLY tired.  I almost jumped for joy when the skies opened up at lunch at work and I couldn't go out for my usual walk.  

I came home after work to find that the few things I'd asked my kids to do throughout the day...didn't get done.  I was hungry, so hungry, and looking forward to making a hamburger with sweet potato "buns" and mayo and a nice side of veggies...but the kitchen was such that...to cook I'd have to unload the dishwasher, clear the counters, get the sink dishes loaded...blah blah...bad word...blah.  So I did all that anyway, then...

reheated POT ROAST for what MUST have been the 80th time.  I gagged that down with a green salad and veggies and sunshine sauce.  

I felt punished and sad, and just..."WHY AM I DOING THIS???"

Later, my son came home from work (Dominos Pizza) with a creation of his own design--a pan crust stretched to a large size, the sauce was the garlic dip, then covered in parmesan and mozarrella, baked and brought home...HOT.

Then, my daughter came home from work (Starbucks) with a frothy, milky concoction and I am just...pissed.

They both (politely, as I've raised them) ask me if I'd like some...and I say, "no thank you" (bad words in my head)...and remind them we'll talk after the 30 days are up...and for them to enjoy...and to please not offer me any...because...

because...

because...

I don't remember.  I don't care.  I just feel...left out and unhappy and hungry and you can't imagine the smell of the dough and the garlic and watching my son lick his fingers, covered in butter and garlic.

Big sigh.

So, I went to bed.  

THEN, my son comes in and says, "hey, mom?  Um...the downstairs toilet is filling up with...um...septic."

and I said, "Holy Sh*t"  (appropriate in this situation...)

We're scrambling, what do we do, what do we do.  The dog takes a dump in the house as we're running about (he's old...sometimes he just doesn't know it's time to go until it's too late, poor thing).

and then we called my husband (finishing his work in Germany, home next week!) and luckily he was available on FaceTime and he talked us through...digging up the yard to get to the icky stuff and poke it all and clear it all and get things moving again...

All this in the POURING, DRIVING, COLD rain, 10:30 at night, with flashlights and rubber boots and I am just...PISSED and hungry and whatever.  Life is suck.

My son saves the day...doing all the dirty work...crisis averted, blah blah...(the water table is SO high here where I am in the PNW--record rainfall this season)

I stayed up until midnight, starting laundry, cleaning...

and then I went to bed.  

no pizza, no wine, no frothy starbucks drink, no valentines candy...no marshmallows, no crepes, no popcorn covered in butter...(fridays generally have been my pig out nights...)

I woke this morning, had my frittata and avocado and salsa, my coffee with coconut cream...a big walk with the dog...and blammo. 

Day 11 is on like Donkey Kong.

Yesterday was hard.  

Keep on it, everyone.  No matter what you're facing...you're up to it.  And if you biff it...dust off and keep going.  YOU are WORTH it!!

Jane

Oh Jane, how happy I am that you persevered through what sounds like a monumentally rotten day and you're stronger and better for it! A new day is always just around the corner! Wonderful!

I spent all last week struggling with severe stomach problems.  It was really starting to negatively effect my life.  I couldn't/didn't want to go anywhere because of the pain.  I was afraid to eat anything because I didn't want the pain. It was getting to the point where I was considering stopping Whole30 because I just couldn't keep living like that.  I HAD to be able to function.  

But I did some pretty deep searches of the forum and around the web and people had suggested Digestive Enzymes.  It has been two days without pain and I think everything's going to be okay!  

Day 12.  Right?  Good day, today.  

today I have made for the week ahead:  

Buffalo Chicken and Sweet Potatoes

Butternut Squash and Apple Soup 

ranch dressing, sunshine sauce, ketchup

cubed cooked chicken (to add to salads, the soup)

I have ground chicken to make meatballs...but don't want to get ahead of my mouth.

this weekend I filed our taxes, bought half off tickets for the entire family and grandkids to run the Color Run on Mother's Day in Seattle (I am SO excited--currently there are 15 of us on a "team"--my family and some friends that joined in), walked Saturday, walked and ran today at the lake in the biting, bitter, glorious wind and rain...and built a lovely fire and am back in my pajamas, getting ready to have dinner with the younglings and watch a movie.  

I am extremely grateful for this life.  

Bring on week 3!

Blessings to you all--keep at it!  You are worth it!

Jane

Day 13!!! We are almost half way there! I had a dream last night that I was shoving pretzel sticks in my mouth. I woke up and thought I cheated. I felt awful until I realized it was just a dream. The way I felt really reinforced why I am not going to give up because I deserve the feeling of accomplishment & results that will come at the end of this. That being said my goal on day 13 is to get in more vegetables, I feel like I was a little light on them yesterday which left my hungry after dinner.

Hi all, I'm flying to Palm Spring this weekend. And good TSA approved snacks I can bring for my flight that includes good protein? I'll be flying around dinner time and don't trust any airport food.

So maybe tuna cakes cold? I love the chicken meatballs cold...

Guacamole? Wrapped turkey slices filled with sunshine sauce and veggies....

Have fun!!

Tlovesb, I've been on a similar path with pain meds and muscle relaxers and all kinds of Drs. Haven't found any one person to help me look at the whole picture, but have learned a lot. Epsom salt baths and/or lotion and really understanding how the body is put together (Feldenkrais, Egoscue, etc) have helped. I'm starting March 1 and am really hoping paying attention to my diet will be the missing link I need to repair to get me back on an even keel, and keep my mind and mood sharp enough to stay more or less on course.

Day 14 underway!

Last night I had a dream that I put a soft, pink frosted sugar cookie in my mouth to eat...

I could taste it--and then I remembered I was treating my body better than that and spit it out.

I felt so relieved in the dream.

Happy Tuesday, all.

Jane

P.S. Turns out my kids like the whole30 recipes...I am plum cleaned out of dinner leftovers! Drat/awesome!

I made Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie tonight and I was delicious!!

I'm honestly surprised how easy this is.  I explained what Whole30 is to my Mom and she thought it sounded so restrictive and rigid.  But I'm eating so much yummy food!  I've been noticing all the times I'm out and about when I'd just grab something to snack on for no reason other than it was there.  Being so intentional with my eating has really opened my eyes to how crappy I was eating before.  I honestly think this is something I could keep doing for a long time.  With just a little pre planning it's not that hard.

Day 14 in the bag and feeling fine!

Archived