WholeLent 2016 - starting February 10th.

angledge

Made it through week one!  So far the only things I am missing are my overnight oats for breakfast, and the sweet (typically a couple squares of dark chocolate) that followed my evening meal....and sometimes lunch.  

This week has been pretty stressful between trying to find the extra time to plan and prep, fitting in a couple extra evenings at church for bible study and motivational speakers during lent.  And add some family issues that have consumed a big part of my weekend and week so far.  This would definitely be the time where I would go for the quick unhealthy choices and comfort foods.  But I have been able to stay compliant, although I haven't had enough time to plan and prep as I would have liked so I am choosing simpler not so time consuming meals.  I tossed a whole chicken in the crockpot and served with steamed broccoli and a baked Sweet potato.  Salmon patties served with pan roasted brussel sprouts, cubed butternut squash (bought precut) and mushrooms. Simple chicken breasts, cut in chunks and added to a package of frozen stir fry veggies.  

My husband is doing this with me, which helps me a lot!  He travels daily so eats lunch out.  He has been eating salad most days and has been taking his own dressing (homemade ranch).  We were out of ranch yesterday and so I asked him what he had for lunch he said he had a salad and asked for a lemon so he could use the juice in place of dressing.  I was VERY surprised and VERY proud!

My pants seem to be fitting a bit loose, which is nice.  Still waiting for the "Tiger Blood" to kick in.  But, I guess that may not be for a few weeks.  I wish I had the energy to get some exercise in during the evening, but haven't found the time or energy for that yet.  

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love tuna. Sounds great. 

Well, my best friend who wants to do Whole30, Round 2, with me starting March 7 . . . pregnant! I immediately told her I would relieve her of her pledge because I hear the first tri is a beast. But she said it'll be a good "why I'm not drinking" decoy.  Well played, friend. Very happy for her. And was so buoyed by her news that I got up and ran 6 miles this AM. I always am glad when I get the run out of the way.

Day 27 here. Planning to make meatzza soon, but probably tomorrow. Thought for the day: patience for things I/we want is so hard, but so necessary.

Hi everyone! I am also doing a WLent and wanted to say hi. Yes, I've been lurking and reading along so far :) This is my third W30 in three years and I try to eat the template and avoid snacking all the time... But I learned to bake bread last year and that took me down a road of... Well, you can probably imagine. I realized last month when I was having cookies with breakfast regularly that it was time to hit the reset button and recommit to my health.

I've been having to work at getting enough fat in each meal. Having recognized that nuts and nut butters, and even coconut milk, can sometimes remind me of things my sugar dragon likes, I'm working on getting fat from other sources. Today my sweet boss brought me 1.5 deviled eggs she had made from W30 compliant ingredients and they were so delicious with my cucumber, tomato, chicken, olive salad for lunch.

I am mostly doing this to feel physically better and kill my sugar dragon. I do have a lot of weight to lose before I would consider myself healthy, but I'm taking things one day and one meal at a time. I'm using acupuncture, spiritual practice, and social activity to support myself through the more unpleasant days. Today I feel just wonderful and happy. Looking forward to springtime and gardening.

What are you including to get enough fat in your meals?

• Moderators

After a successful seven days, I discovered this morning the cooking spray I've been using is canola oil based. So, I guess it's back to Day 1. I'm so bummed, but not deterred!

Canola oil isn't necessarily cause for a restart -- if you ever eat in a restaurant on a Whole30, you'll probably get some canola oil. Do double check the ingredients, because soy is a pretty common thing in cooking sprays, even sprays that use better oils, and soy would be cause for a restart.

Here's what the Can I Have Guide says about canola oil:

Canola Oil: Yes, reluctantly (because sometimes, you have to dine out)

While we don’t think vegetable oils are a healthy choice (understatement of the century), we don’t expressly rule them out on the Whole30. If we did, you’d never be able to eat outside of your own kitchen, because all restaurants use them in cooking. We wanted to create the healthiest program possible, but we also need it to be do-able for those who travel for business or pleasure, or simply want to dine out during the month.

Tip: Eliminate the consumption of vegetable oils at home, even if you’re not on the Whole30, and make sure the rest of your diet is focused on the most nutritious choices possible, especially if you dine out frequently.

If you do choose to restart because you personally want to have 30 days that completely avoid canola oil, that's fine, I just want to be sure you understand it's not absolutely necessary, because sometimes people are harder on themselves than Whole30 actually requires them to be.

Canola oil isn't necessarily cause for a restart -- if you ever eat in a restaurant on a Whole30, you'll probably get some canola oil. Do double check the ingredients, because soy is a pretty common thing in cooking sprays, even sprays that use better oils, and soy would be cause for a restart.

Yep. It has soy. Dang it!

Whole30, day 9. I feel fantastic. I just sat at our weekly meeting in front of a plate of cupcakes and several cartons of Cinnabon rolls. I had no desire for them, and in fact, could "feel" what it would be like to eat either...headache, upset stomach.

I feel clear headed, satiated, present, energetic. Sugar and carb cravings are non existent. I am sleeping soundly, deeply, without the aid of Benadryl for the first time in years. Waking fully alive and ready for the day. My sinuses are not congested...my skin is looking healthy, I am not exhausted by the time I get home, and my daily walk has picked up enough that I've added an extra half mile during the lunch hour.

It's been fascinating to pull out dairy, legumes, all sugars and all grains. I feel better than I have in many, many years.

I am adjusting to eating less, but still to template...knowing to stop when full.

Who knew you could do that? Stop eating?

@angledge  Thanks for the link to the recipe.  I struggle w/ what to eat on for lunch on Friday's during Lent while following whole30 rules.  I think I'll try the spicy tuna cakes tomorrow!

They are SUPER-good if you serve them hot the way Nom Nom suggests - fry them so the outside is crisp, & then spritz fresh lemon juice on 'em. 

I've been having to work at getting enough fat in each meal. Having recognized that nuts and nut butters, and even coconut milk, can sometimes remind me of things my sugar dragon likes, I'm working on getting fat from other sources. 

What are you including to get enough fat in your meals?

Have you tried using ghee and/or bacon fat as cooking fats? They're definitely not sweet so they should leave the Sugar Dragon slumbering. Other fats: salad dressings made with olive oil? Oooh, how about Epic bars? I really like the lamb/currant/mint bars, & they have 8 g of fat in them. They are one of my go-to snacks for telling the Sugar Dragon to buzz off.

Whole30, day 9. I feel fantastic. I just sat at our weekly meeting in front of a plate of cupcakes and several cartons of Cinnabon rolls. I had no desire for them, and in fact, could "feel" what it would be like to eat either...headache, upset stomach.

I feel clear headed, satiated, present, energetic. Sugar and carb cravings are non existent. I am sleeping soundly, deeply, without the aid of Benadryl for the first time in years. Waking fully alive and ready for the day. My sinuses are not congested...my skin is looking healthy, I am not exhausted by the time I get home, and my daily walk has picked up enough that I've added an extra half mile during the lunch hour.

It's been fascinating to pull out dairy, legumes, all sugars and all grains. I feel better than I have in many, many years.

This is so great to hear! Keep up the great work Jane!

• Moderators

I've been having to work at getting enough fat in each meal. Having recognized that nuts and nut butters, and even coconut milk, can sometimes remind me of things my sugar dragon likes, I'm working on getting fat from other sources. Today my sweet boss brought me 1.5 deviled eggs she had made from W30 compliant ingredients and they were so delicious with my cucumber, tomato, chicken, olive salad for lunch.

Olives are a great fat source. How do you feel about avocado? It's another good one. You can also add sauces or dips to your meals -- there's some ideas here, or chimichurri or Morroccan dipping sauce are good over meats or vegetables. 

Re: getting enough fat, I have been adding really nice quality olive oil to my stir fries (after they are cooked) and salads. That and avocados seem to do the job.

I had an interesting one yesterday - baked a sweet potato and made pancakes, just sweet potato and egg, with a little cinnamon. They were sooo sweet. Before I ate them I walked home from work and my legs felt really nice and loose, no stiff muscles, no sore joints, no limping. After dinner i went out and when I came home, walking from the parking lot my legs were stiff and I was limping a bit. Wow. I am just realizing how sensitive I am to all sugars. Wild, eh?

I have a confession. Technically I need to start over. I say that because I discovered that I forgot to buy lunch meat - specifically turkey or chicken - when I went to Whole Foods and stocked up a couple weeks ago. Whole Foods is 2 hours away. That is the closest "health" food store. I have gone to every grocery store in town (3) and read every label of every turkey or chicken lunch meat I could find, and every single one of them has sugar. So I picked the best I could and I have eaten it. I'm not considering it breaking my whole30 because quite frankly, I have to do what is feasible for me economically and emotionally. I don't want to beat myself up over sugar in my turkey when I have been compliant with everything else. I found out two nights ago that my husband, who was supposed to be home two weeks ago, is still not going to be home until the end of March. Part of the reason I thought I could handle this was that I thought my husband would be home and I would not be taking care of our child and dogs by myself while starting a new job. I'm still doing it, other than the turkey. 

Otherwise, I feel great. I'm down a pant size and it was a "wow" realization for me. All of my dress pants are loose and falling off, so I tried on a pair of jeans I haven't been able to wear in a few years and they fit! I feel more focused at work, I have more energy througout the day, and I don't even want the sugar cookies or chocolate I used to "have" to have.  

My friend's adorable little red haired girl (who can say no) sold me three boxes of Girl Scout Cookies a while back and they came in today.  

*sigh*

I put two of each in a zippy bag and put them in the freezer for when I'm off Whole30, the rest were handed over to my husband and children.  Strangely enough, I was too terribly tempted by them.  The problem for me was the cheese I put on my kids' tacos.  I'm used to just pinching a mouthful and my hand automatically reached for it.  I am missing my dairy.

Our favorite recipes so far are the pork carnitas, shrimp scampi(I left off the Romesca sauce), steak and more steak. We never knew how to make steak other than on the bbq in the summer. Here in the PNW winter is too dark and rainy to bbq. The mayo is easy to make and versatile for dressing and sauces and tastes like mayo! We were also struggling with are we getting enough fats. It's helpful to read others had the same questions. We have olives but haven't opened any yet. I definitely feel better in my joints and I have much more energy. NSV dinner with the kid and his friends at the table. Lots of laughter on a Thursday night.

Yesterday when I discovered I had to go back to square one, my immediate thought was, Cheat Day! So, I started thinking: "what can I have?"

The chocolate covered bananas in the freezer? Nah. Not worth it and probably not that good.

A piece of my son's Valentine candy? Definitely not worth it.

Try as I might, I couldn't think of one dessert that would be worth eating, even though I technically could. Last night, I stayed on track with dinner even though I didn't need to, but because I wanted to.

I ate out this morning for the first time and b/c my weekly email went back to Day 0 (and for another reason I'll get to) I didn't worry too much about what I ate. I stayed somewhat faithful though I didn't worry about preparation or how the bacon was cured. Tomorrow, I have a brunch planned in my honor I don't feel comfortable saying, "by the way, i'm on a restrictive diet" at such a late date. So, I'm restarting to Day 1 on Sunday, but keeping on track as much as possible in the meantime. 

I'll be honest: I was pissed I had to start over because of cooking spray which I probably used a couple of tablespoons of (maybe) over the last 9 days and the tiny bit of soy that would have been in it. But, the restart has the benefit of showing me my attitudes about what I'm putting in my body are changing and I'm really not tempted at all to eat bread, cheese/dairy or sugar. That is major for me.

Tonight, I might have a glass of wine because I received good news from both of my editors (I'm a novelist). Or maybe I'll decide it's not worth it. We shall see.

Edited to Add: Barnes and Noble had Valentine Godiva chocolate 60% off and I didn't buy it. Two weeks ago I would have bought it and eaten it in the car on the way home.

M Lenhardt, what a seriously great, mature, reflective, and inspiring post.

I think I will probably fizzle out here because I've decided now that I will finish my Whole30 (last day is Sunday), then reintroduce a couple of things next week and the week after . . . and then start Round 2 on March 7 or thereabouts.  So I suppose I am a bit of a hypocrite.  

Today I tried a Grandcestors meal from Whole Foods. And . . . wow. Totally tasty.

Re: getting enough fat, I have been adding really nice quality olive oil to my stir fries (after they are cooked) and salads. That and avocados seem to do the job.

I had an interesting one yesterday - baked a sweet potato and made pancakes, just sweet potato and egg, with a little cinnamon. They were sooo sweet. Before I ate them I walked home from work and my legs felt really nice and loose, no stiff muscles, no sore joints, no limping. After dinner i went out and when I came home, walking from the parking lot my legs were stiff and I was limping a bit. Wow. I am just realizing how sensitive I am to all sugars. Wild, eh?

We are not permitted to make pancakes at all, no matter what the ingredients. That's considered SWYPO.

I have a confession. Technically I need to start over. I say that because I discovered that I forgot to buy lunch meat - specifically turkey or chicken - when I went to Whole Foods and stocked up a couple weeks ago. Whole Foods is 2 hours away. That is the closest "health" food store. I have gone to every grocery store in town (3) and read every label of every turkey or chicken lunch meat I could find, and every single one of them has sugar. So I picked the best I could and I have eaten it. I'm not considering it breaking my whole30 because quite frankly, I have to do what is feasible for me economically and emotionally. I don't want to beat myself up over sugar in my turkey when I have been compliant with everything else. I found out two nights ago that my husband, who was supposed to be home two weeks ago, is still not going to be home until the end of March. Part of the reason I thought I could handle this was that I thought my husband would be home and I would not be taking care of our child and dogs by myself while starting a new job. I'm still doing it, other than the turkey. 

Otherwise, I feel great. I'm down a pant size and it was a "wow" realization for me. All of my dress pants are loose and falling off, so I tried on a pair of jeans I haven't been able to wear in a few years and they fit! I feel more focused at work, I have more energy througout the day, and I don't even want the sugar cookies or chocolate I used to "have" to have.  

Whether you restart or not is up to you. What is great is the NSVs you are already experiencing! How awesome is that? And, Lent is still another 34 days so you WILL get your 30 days in :) 

Archived