WholeLent 2016 - starting February 10th.

angledge

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong with trying to make the mayo??? The first time I used EVOO and made it using my food processor. It was very thin and had a horrible taste. So, per advise from others I bought Bertolli Light Olive oil and just tried for the 4th time tonight and yet another fail. I am using a room temperature egg and following the directions to a T. I have tried using a mason jar and a bowl both with an immersive blender and I have tried again with my food processor. I add the last cup of oil VERY slow yet each time it is yellow (and I only use 1/4 t of the mustard powder) and stays the consistency of milk. There are So many things I want to make with the mayo/ranch! I seriously can't waste anymore money on olive oil that I am pouring in the trash! Help! Is there any compliant mayo that Would be available in smaller grocery stores that I can buy?

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong with trying to make the mayo??? The first time I used EVOO and made it using my food processor. It was very thin and had a horrible taste. So, per advise from others I bought Bertolli Light Olive oil and just tried for the 4th time tonight and yet another fail. I am using a room temperature egg and following the directions to a T. I have tried using a mason jar and a bowl both with an immersive blender and I have tried again with my food processor. I add the last cup of oil VERY slow yet each time it is yellow (and I only use 1/4 t of the mustard powder) and stays the consistency of milk. There are So many things I want to make with the mayo/ranch! I seriously can't waste anymore money on olive oil that I am pouring in the trash! Help! Is there any compliant mayo that Would be available in smaller grocery stores that I can buy?

I use this method for making mayo -- no drizzling, no waiting for things to come to room temp, almost always works.

For the ones that have come out liquidy, sometimes you can fix that, it just depends on what went wrong. This discussion has some tips, or google Whole30 mayo fix for more past discussions.

@ShannonM816:  Thank you Shannon!  I tried the method you suggested last night before I went to bed and it turned out much better.  Still a bit yellow in color, but not runny!  Not thick like mayo, but it tasted okay and it is thick enough to use for making ranch and other yummy sauces!!  

Day 14 and I am really not missing sweets much at all anymore, which is awesome.  Can't believe tomorrow will mark the 1/2 point!

The weather here stinks....snowing and blowing, forecasting 6 - 8 inches before it is all over :(  

Have a great day all ;-)

@ShannonM816:  Thank you Shannon!  I tried the method you suggested last night before I went to bed and it turned out much better.  Still a bit yellow in color, but not runny!  Not thick like mayo, but it tasted okay and it is thick enough to use for making ranch and other yummy sauces!!  

Day 14 and I am really not missing sweets much at all anymore, which is awesome.  Can't believe tomorrow will mark the 1/2 point!

The weather here stinks....snowing and blowing, forecasting 6 - 8 inches before it is all over :(

Have a great day all ;-)

Overmixing will also cause it to thin out.

We made clarified butter -ghee. Easy and less expensive yielding more than is sold at the store. Conor had the food dream of drinking a Pepsi and eating a rice crispy treat. My pants are lose and my face is not bloated. I am so curious about what was making me so swollen.

This is day four of my restart and I have to say, it's kinda sucked. My first 9 days (before having to restart) I had zero side effects. Today I had diarrhea and omg have I been in a bad mood. And hungry. And sick of what I've been eating. And irritable that I can't Eat All The Things.

Even worse, I leave tomorrow morning for a four day convention.

I'm not going to go off of it, but man this is harder this time around.

This is day four of my restart and I have to say, it's kinda sucked. My first 9 days (before having to restart) I had zero side effects. Today I had diarrhea and omg have I been in a bad mood. And hungry. And sick of what I've been eating. And irritable that I can't Eat All The Things.

Even worse, I leave tomorrow morning for a four day convention.

I'm not going to go off of it, but man this is harder this time around.

Hang in there! Maybe the little bits of non compliant foods that put you on a reset were truly problematic for you.

And also the psychological aspect of starting over...that can be hard.

I can't wait to hear how your conference went--I bet you'll do very well!

Jane

Sad sad SAD day. I have come to the conclusion that almond butter (and maybe all but butters) are not ok for me. Minutes after eating almond butter, my energy level tanks, and not long after that, my stomach gets upset and...well, you get it...

I will cry some tears over this.

I used to live on peanut and almond butter...I always thought it was the bread I was putting it on...

On a positive note, I have made an appointment to begin care with a naturopath and will have her assistance, and that of a nutritionist, to help me track sensitivities and problematic foods moving ahead.

But please...light a candle today in honor of the passing of one of my favorite staple foods...

Jane

WHERE INDEED DID EVERYONE GO???

I hope all is well for all of you.  Can you believe we're at day 19?

I am so thankful to have chosen to grab a go at this program.  It has revolutionized the way I feel about food and my health.  

Keep at it, all!

Jane

Day 21 and the first day of March!!  Quite the milestone!

I made another tasty new recipe last night:

http://donteatthespatula.blogspot.ca/2013/11/so-squash-says-to-turkey.html?m=1

I didn't have cranberries so I had to leave them out.  But it was really good.  I've been struggling with getting enough veggies, so this was a great way to up the amount.

This whole process has been eye opening and empowering.  Prior to Whole30 I was sugar crazed, it was all I wanted.  Three or four nights a week my husband and I would split a pint of Ben & Jerry's or polish off a box of cookies.  Now I don't feel so out of control when it comes to sugar.  I can say no, not only that, I really don't even want it to start with.  I have been missing cheese . . . a lot.  Like last night when I made the stuffed Acorn Squash, all I could think of was that it need some mozzerella on top.  I'm finding that I salt my food a little more heavily to make up for the lack of salty cheese.  Hopefully that doesn't become an issue.

But I'm considering tacking on an additional two weeks after Easter to make it a round 60 days.  

Hello.. I just finished my first whole30, and i feel good but I did not lose NO weight at al but I gain other benefits, all though I wanted to see my weight down, But I will continue. I feel some what SAD when i weighted myself. I will continue my whole30 on April on this month I will continue with some re introduction of the some of the foods that I did not eat but want to try again.

As of now I lose inches from the whole body and today I'm Feeling much better... My husband encourage me to walk for 45 minutes. God bless you all:)

Made it through a weekend vacation with none of grandma's sugary treats, boom! The sugar dragon hardly was out - but it was in CA where produce was 100% better than MN so more fruit than normal but even Melissa states that okay because it's what good and available! Plus I did a TON of veggies! 

I also finally finished It Starts With Food while sitting by the pool. Glad I found time to finish, definitely will help me think about what I really do want to introduce back into my life. 

One more thing - I was worried about what to eat today after flying in last night at midnight with no food prep time. I found Aidells chicken apple sausage at Target last week so I made half of one with eggs this AM and brought one with steamed veggies for lunch today. Helped to find something that was an easy protein source when I was in a pinch! 

Today was rough.  Actually the last few days have been.  I've been having some major cravings, I really wanted pizza. 

Winter's winding down.  I'm getting antsy for spring.  We're at the tail end of our pay period and running low on supplies so we're scrabbling together rather than planning nice meals.  

Sorry, pity's party over.  Tomorrow is another day.

I have discovered that I am still sensitive to some things that are allowed on this program, so am exploring some other info about what might be causing that - gut bloated again. Have been doing really well with coming up with yummy things to eat, just had a great dinner with turkey sausage, veg stir fry with pesto I made. It is Spring here on the west coast of Vancouver Island (sorry to all of you who live in places that get real winter!) - flowers are blooming like crazy, also the local greenhouses that sell unsprayed veg are open for business after being closed for the winter. Yahoo! Fresh, local vegetables!

I can't believe this is day 24!  We are almost there!!  I am feeling more energetic most days and sleeping more sound, although I still wake up 2 or 3 times through the night.  I am feeling thankful today for the positives that I will take with me from the whole 30.  The increased energy has motivated me to incorporate some exercise into my week, not everyday and sometimes only 15 or 20 minutes at the very end of the day, but that is a start!  I have also added some great recipes to my rotation, and one of the best things is realizing that I really don't miss most of the things that I have cut out.  There are several foods that we do not plan to reintroduce to our diet....but I must admit the occasional glass of wine will definitely find its way back into our diets, lol, and I do plan to go back to my morning oats.  As far as sweets, my plan is to add local honey back when needed, but keep the chocolate and other processed sweets out of the house.  I will probably start with adding the oats after the 30 days and see how that goes, but will stay away from the alcohol and honey until after Easter.

I had my annual doctors appointment with my Gynecologist,mod edit to remove scale results. (I know weighing yourself is against the rules, but in this case I am sure it would count as an excused weight-in).  

I am definitely ready for Spring to arrive, it is cold and cloudy here today (in the 30's) and the forecast is for clouds, wind and rain for 7 out of the next 9 days, grrrrr!  I hope everyone is hanging in there and enjoying some positive changes!!

I have discovered that I am still sensitive to some things that are allowed on this program, so am exploring some other info about what might be causing that - gut bloated again. Have been doing really well with coming up with yummy things to eat, just had a great dinner with turkey sausage, veg stir fry with pesto I made. It is Spring here on the west coast of Vancouver Island (sorry to all of you who live in places that get real winter!) - flowers are blooming like crazy, also the local greenhouses that sell unsprayed veg are open for business after being closed for the winter. Yahoo! Fresh, local vegetables!

Archived