favorite new coffee drink; whole30 compliant!

Cold-brew coffee is a coffee concentrate that's brewed for a long time in cold water; the result is a much less bitter coffee than usual hot brew techniques. I've just made myself a tasty beverage using half a bottle (about 8oz) of Chameleon Cold Brew coffee and a small can of coconut milk. Probably half of that would be a perfect morning serving. The sweetness of the coconut milk combined with the smooth flavor of the cold-brew coffee make this drink much more pleasant than my usual hot drip coffee. I heated the coconut milk in the microwave just enough to get it to liquify, then poured in the cold brew at room temperature.

http://www.chameleoncoldbrew.com/

I bought mine at Whole Foods.

me too.. Going to have to look for that. Benjamin - do you live near Austin where this is produced? Just wondering how hard those of us on the left and right coast will have to look for this. Thanks for the tip!

• 4 weeks later...

No, no, no, that's not necessary!!! I used to have a cold press maker (Toddy brand) and liked that a lot. Much cheaper than your premade stuff. But when I lost it in a house fire, I just started doing it myself. Right now, I've got a pound of ground espresso soaking in water in the fridge and will have enough for making days of coffee for $2.49. No need to get the bottled stuff!

ETA: The directions tell you how much water to use but I never bother to measure. If you use too much, it'll just take less liquid to dilute it. If you don't use enough, add extra to the end. Taste and adjust. It takes less time than measuring it when you make it. Then again, I've got four kids and throwing it into a pitcher to leave alone overnight is my idea of convenience!!!

Here's a link with info: http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2012/04/best-way-to-make-cold-brew-coffee-iced-coffee-technique-tips.html

• 3 weeks later...

I cold brewed some coffee after reading this yesterday and just made it with the coconut milk. When I mix the coffee and coconut milk the coconut fat floated up to the top and made a disconcerting chunky layer. I did whip it up in my vitamix before I added it to the coffee.

Suggestions? Am I supposed to grab a spoon and chow down before I get to the good stuff? haha

• 2 weeks later...

I made the cold-brew coffee and let it steep in the fridge on Sunday, so I could have a cup for Monday at work. I mixed it with about 1/4 can coconut milk. It tasted fabulous!!!! Then I started getting an ache in my lower-left abdomen. I had stopped drinking coffee only about a week before, so July 2 I was just drinking tea & water. I'm not sure if my ache comes from the coffee or the coconut milk. I don't have that reaction when I use coconut oil.

**edit to add** I'm about two months post-partum (had a stillborn boy on May 12) and I'm in Day 6 of the Whole30, but have been eating Paleo since mid-June. So I guess the pain could be my insides moving around & getting comfortable again without a baby in there, or maybe something else.

Bon--I just poured my coconut milk straight from the can into my iced coffee & it blended perfectly. :)

Coincidentally, we JUST made a huge batch of cold brew. We did 3 cups of coarse coffee grounds in 12 cups of water for about 24 hours. We may make it slightly stronger next time. We just used a "sun tea" container and put the coffee in a knee-high nylon.

I do love Chameleon Coldbrew -- I've met the owners a few times at food events in Austin, and they're very nice people.

Thanks for the ideas, coffee with heavy cream has been the one thing I've been having a hard time doing without. I never thought to do it cold with the coconut milk. So far I've tried it hot with coconut oil. I'm gonna have to give that a try. Here's an article I read a while back on how to cold brew coffee (its not paleo, so the other stuff he says to add aren't acceptable, but he explains it very well. ) /http://www.macheesmo.com/2009/08/cold-brewed-coffee/

Hi, new to whole 30, but not to paleo. Day 3 of w30.

Sharing my face coffee drink, I have been making some almond milk to take to my local cafe to whip into a latte, but just tried heating to about 50 degrees © some organic coconut cream in my thermomix, and then frothing, frothed quite well and tastes great in my coffee better than almond milk. Which is a little bitter I think. So maybe I can do this dairy free thing after all!

Yesterday I made some clarified butter and it tastes quite different than butter, has anyone else made there own? No idea where to buy ghee, maybe an Asian supermarket. This whole foods shop sounds too good to be true. We Aussies need to catch up!

Archived