Snack of almond butter and apple

cthomasco

I am on day one! I was planning on eating almond butter and apples for my snacks at 1030 am while I am at work.

I thought I read somewhere that eating almond butter Is a bad idea? I was planning on eating this about 5 days a week at work between my breakfast and lunch, I also need to eat around 330 or 4 pm snack. Any advice would be appreciated.

• Administrators

If you are hoping to get the best results from your Whole30, you should not be planning on having snacks between your meals. Our guidance is for you to build your meals so that they keep you going for 4-5 hours between, thus negating the need for snacks.

While you are figuring out how much food that needs to be, or if you have more than 4-5 hours between meals, a snack should be a mini-meal of protein, fat and veggies. If you can't manage all three of those, go for protein & fat or protein & veggies.

Your best results will come from eating a meal and then letting your body work through that and then the digestive system rests while the nutrients are shunted around.

I think the general recommendation is to try to avoid snacking during your Whole 30. The goal is to eat enough at each meal (see the Meal Template) so that you aren't hungry until time for the next meal. At the beginning, though, this can be difficult, as it takes a while for your body to recognize real hunger from cravings and habits.

When you do need a snack, however, it's better to have one. The suggestion is to make it a mini-meal, with all the components of a meal--protein, veg, fat. Apple + almond butter might not be the greatest idea because it is so sweet. As someone with a sugar issue, I try to avoid snacking on fruit.

Why are you planning to snack? If you're usually hungry at those times, try making your meals more substantial. A palm-sized portion of protein (or 2), and a couple of cups of vegetables, plus a thumb-sized portion of fat is the suggestion for a complete meal. It takes a while to get used to this, especially for non-breakfast eaters, but it works.

Good luck!

thank you for the feed back! this morning's breakfast was 3 eggs scrambled, with sliced avocado and home made salsa. that was at 7 am. by the time 1030 came around I was really hungry, and had an apple with almond butter for a snack. my lunch at work is 1230-130, so I think it will be very difficult for me to go from 7 am to 1230 without a small snack..  but I will use your suggestion and snack on a small meal. thank you very much.

• Administrators

You'll adapt if you can start making your meals larger and using protein/fat as a stop-gap if you need it.  I regularly go from 530am to noon comfortably.  This definitely takes time to learn/adjust to but know that you can and should expect to go from 7-1230 without needing to eat in between.

• 1 month later...

Archived