Mud Runs on Whole30

adjones57

Hi Everyone,

I'm just about to finish my 3rd round of Whole30 and was thinking about starting round 4 March 1st. The only thing that is causing me to reconsider is that I am running a Savage Race on March 18th. I would be on day 18 of the program. I know i can "carbo" load while on Whole30 and have even found some great "before the race" articles and blogs that will help me stay compliant and on track until race day and after, but I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were? The race is from 6-9 miles with about 21 obstacles. Is it smart to start a Whole30 or will I not have enough energy/strength to make it through the race?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts! 

Do you really need to load up on carbs before the race? I ran a Mudderella last year (I wasn't on Whole30 at the time) and had I think 2 eggs and a piece of Ezekiel bread before the race. What's happening in the ~month and a half between round 3 and round 4 that you couldn't just continue through then, get yourself solidly fat adapted and have plenty of energy? Have you done one of these races before?

• Moderators

If you've done 3 Whole30's including the recommendations and the rules, then you should be fat adapted and assuming you don't go bananas between the end of your 30 and the race, you should stay fat adapted... are you training for this?  If you are training using obstacles and distance similar to the race, then you should be able to use this time to figure out how to properly fuel for something like this.

Thanks for the input guys! I have run one race before, I wasn't working out as much as I am now, and however I'm not training specifically for the race. I wouldn't have to "carbo" load but I last race I was fading 4 miles into the race and I heard that this would help that. I would go all the way through but i wanted to take a break after my 3rd round at Valentine's Day and for a friends birthday.  

I did a year of mud runs (10 in 12mths) preWhole30. I was strict Paleo and I fuelled every one of those races with BP coffee and pure adrenaline from the atmosphere of race, plus what ever starches I'd eaten the day before . My longest distance was a 12miler and even with that one I only took water on board at the water stations. It's definitely do-able. Your training might suffer initially but by day 18 you *should* be back into the fat burning zone if you're not already there by sticking to paleo principles between your Whole30's.

ETA: I'm not suggesting you fuel up on BP coffee by the way (I don;t even drink those anymore) - just saying there is no need to fuel on carbs as you go if your meals are composed effectively on a daily basis.

Archived