Started today..March 23rd

Diannhayden

Hi! Welcome to the Whole30. I hear you on breakfast. I assume you're not a fan of savoury breakfast's. Have you tried making a chia pudding for breakfast? Topped with fruit. Yum!

There's also this really interesting breakfast I found that is almost like oatmeal but W30 approved! http://www.pbfingers.com/oatless-oatmeal-with-zucchini/ 

What do you normally like to have for breakfast?

• Moderators

Sorry, neither of these things are okay for the Whole30.  The chia pudding is not recommended and the 'notmeal' is called out as not allowed.  The recipe in the link might be fine for your life after but it's definitely not W30 approved.  Take another read through the rules and recomendations.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, mariannne said:

Thanks Moderator! I've not made that notmeal but it does look good. I suppose it's considered a paleo version of 'normal food' so it's out.

I have done the chia pudding. I think it's a good alternative if you're sick of eggs every morning.

The thing is, if you have chia pudding alone for breakfast you're having lots of fat and maybe some fruit. You really will get the best results if you work on making all your meals match the meal template. Doesn't have to be eggs, but for 30 days, try to be open to trying something new. At the end of Whole30, if you just can't stand it and want chia pudding every day, fine, but at least you'll have tried the recommended way and will be able to honestly say it just doesn't work for you. 

Try these salmon cakes for breakfast -- they're easy to make ahead and they're good hot or cold so they're great to grab on your way out the door if you're running late. Make a soup like this one, or make a salad of diced jicama, zucchini or yellow squash, cucumber, tomato, celery, carrot, avocado, and a small apple, add a little lemon or lime juice if you're making it ahead so the apple and avocado won't brown, or have the rest made up and dice and add those just before serving.

Thanks Moderator. I've never had chia pudding on a whole30 ... Just in real life! :) I usually stick to eggs, and sauteed greens. And sometimes last night's leftovers.

I understand people struggle with breakfast, and it's good to offer alternatives to eggs or dinner for breakfast.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, mariannne said:

I understand people struggle with breakfast, and it's good to offer alternatives to eggs or dinner for breakfast.

The thing is, that most people who only want sweet or breakfasty items for breakfast are those with hormone imbalances and they need to start eating real food within an hour of waking to get those hormones rebalanced... every person who has ever come here and said 'I'm one of those people that can't/doesn't eat breakfast/breakfast makes me vomit' has come back after ditching the sweet breakfasts and taking our advice and said that they are thrilled that they can eat whatever they have around for breakfast. We don't give alternatives to people in order that they don't have to go through the gritty parts of getting things back on track.

Suggesting to people that they eat any food at any time of the day is giving people endless options for breakfast.

Heloooo! I'm back after a yearish "off" and need/want a reboot. :) W30 put me on track back in 2015 and my eating habits are betterrr but man that SWYPO is still happening with those "healthy snacks" - stevia/swerve sweetened foods, grazing at night my main issue. There are other issues .... got back into bread and potatoes (sugar snacks are way down though and that is good).

I suspect after rereading It Starts With Food that my hormones are off - maybe leptin, glycogen, cortisol issues. I have more fat around the middle and a general sense of struggle with my energy and weight.  So GLAD to be back.

Thanks to Moderator Shannon 1816, I'm reviewing the meal planning resource and I have a question about eating before and after exercise.  I've been going to the gym (woohoo!) and my workouts are usually at night. Tonight I have a 7:15 pm cardio workout in a rowing class, my new love, and plan on having dinner at 6 p.m. I would rather not eat the bonus meal after (four meals???) because my tendency is to graze at night. Also eating at night creates all sorts of issues for me like wonky sleep and bloating and low energy in general. I'm finding it helpful to stop eating after 7:30 p.m. at latest. Not that that's happening consistently, but I'm working on it and think the W30 will help me get back on track in this area. Any feedback regarding exercising at night?

Hey I was just told it's against the rules to post same topic in different forums, which I did here. Sorry my bad! I wanted to reply to Marianne about the awesome oatless oatmeal - I've been eating that almost every morning. It is healthy and satiating and I don't understand why that is not allowed. Doesn't make sense to me. My sensitive tummy loves it and it's easy to make ahead of time and heat up. I'm willing to try other things like fish and broccoli and chard and bacon but seriously - have to be honest in saying many of the "rules" on this forum don't make sense to me. I mean - what's the dif between salmon cakes and oatless oatmeal? What if I called the oarless oatmeal something else - like egg whites and zucchini? Would that be allowed? I'm here though for the support and to keep on track guess I'll agree to disagree.. :) 

• Moderators
5 hours ago, bronnyd said:

Thanks to Moderator Shannon 1816, I'm reviewing the meal planning resource and I have a question about eating before and after exercise.  I've been going to the gym (woohoo!) and my workouts are usually at night. Tonight I have a 7:15 pm cardio workout in a rowing class, my new love, and plan on having dinner at 6 p.m. I would rather not eat the bonus meal after (four meals???) because my tendency is to graze at night. Also eating at night creates all sorts of issues for me like wonky sleep and bloating and low energy in general. I'm finding it helpful to stop eating after 7:30 p.m. at latest. Not that that's happening consistently, but I'm working on it and think the W30 will help me get back on track in this area. Any feedback regarding exercising at night?

If it helps at all, the post-WO doesn't have to be huge. A few bites of lean protein, and optionally a few bites of starchy vegetable. You can try skipping it, but if you start to notice you're not feeling great, that you're tired a lot, that you feel like you're just not recovering from your workouts, you'd want to find a way to add it in.  This article has a little more detail about why post-WO food is important. 

1 hour ago, bronnyd said:

Hey I was just told it's against the rules to post same topic in different forums, which I did here. Sorry my bad! I wanted to reply to Marianne about the awesome oatless oatmeal - I've been eating that almost every morning. It is healthy and satiating and I don't understand why that is not allowed. Doesn't make sense to me. My sensitive tummy loves it and it's easy to make ahead of time and heat up. I'm willing to try other things like fish and broccoli and chard and bacon but seriously - have to be honest in saying many of the "rules" on this forum don't make sense to me. I mean - what's the dif between salmon cakes and oatless oatmeal? What if I called the oarless oatmeal something else - like egg whites and zucchini? Would that be allowed? I'm here though for the support and to keep on track guess I'll agree to disagree.. :) 

That particular oatless oatmeal is at least somewhat better than some of the ones out there, but the recommendation is to have meals that match the meal template, and it still really doesn't. That's why as moderators we tend to tell people not to do it. You could, and still be doing a Whole30, but we really want you to have the best results you can possibly get from your Whole30, and believe the way to do that is to follow the recommendations.

If you wanted to make this recipe match the meal template, you'd want to use whole eggs, as many as you can hold in your hand, so probably at least three. Use the whole zucchini (remember, you're aiming to fill your plate with vegetables at every meal, so easily a whole zucchini, and maybe more). If you use the half a banana, don't add more fruit on top -- generally, have not more than 1-2 fist sized servings of fruit a day, and you really don't want to load up on fruit first thing in the morning, as that's a big hit of sugar first thing after fasting overnight, which can spike your blood sugar, causing a crash later. Many people actually report that adding fruit to meals, especially to breakfast, actually makes them hungrier throughout the rest of the day, even if they've had the fruit in addition to the meal they'd normally have so that they're actually eating more food. I'm not sure what else you'd have to change to get the same texture/feel to the recipe once you've made those changes, but changing those things would make it more in line with what a Whole30 meal should look like. 

Hey Shannon Wow Thank you for explaining the reasoning behind the oatless oats omission and - makes total sense!! I need to take a careful look at my meal template to make sure my protein is up and fruit is down. And not go nuts over nuts - just a small handful (if even that for me - maybe every other day). 

Also thank you for the info on post w/o food!!! I just had a few bites of egg whites and a couple bites of squash. I feel good and full too. Man, rowing is hard. I love it. :) 

Really appreciate your feedback, Shannon! Thanks for moderating with good helpful info.

@ShannonM816 Thanks for explanation on the post-WO meal. I am also trying to figure out what my pre and post WO should be. I go to yoga twice a day (morning and night) so idk how many meals I'll be having per day lol  But if they can be super tiny pre/post WO then i think it's manageable.

Thanks for the thorough explanation on the noatmeal. That makes more sense now.

Archived