Day 17 - Feel great, but GAS.

Hi team! Warning: This is not a cute and rosey post and, yes, girls fart.

I am on Day 17 of my fourth Whole30 and feel great. I'm sleeping well, my gym performance is good, my bloating is mostly non-existent, but for the last few days I have had THE SMELLIEST GAS. :blink: It's not uncomfortable, my stomach seems otherwise fine. Even the act of farting isn't relieving any sort of pressure or anything, they're just kind of falling out. (that reminds me of an episode of Family Guy, but that is for another time and place... :)) My BM schedule is not ideal but that has been a work in progress for years so I'm not noticing anything out of the ordinary. The only truly "new" thing I've had in the past couple days (since this started) are pea sprout microgreens. Has anyone ever heard of THAT causing smelly farts? It also seems to be happening mostly in the evening, after I get home from work both before and after dinner. I know everyone's timeline is different, but since my other digestive issues have gotten better, this seems weird unless having a healthy gut means having stinky farts. Haha. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience at any point during their Whole30 or if there are any commonly known culprits I should watch out for. 

These are the things I've been eating the last couple of days, all of which I was eating last week also, except the microgreens and arugula, I think.

• EPIC jerky bites, almond butter, mixed fruit, banana, coconut water, HB eggs, strawberries, spaghetti squash, tomato basil pesto, red pepper sauce, arugula, microgreens, mini sweet peppers, avocado ranch, white potatoes, eggs, onion, chicken, sweet potatoes, ground beef, avocado. 
  • This weekend I had Kale Chips with nutritional yeast on them, so I guess that could also be a factor, since that is something I had only probably ever eaten once before. 

We'll see if it gets better today! It's not really bothering me nearly as much as my husband. :lol:

Dates. I think it's dates.

I bought dates this weekend for the first time during this Whole30 and have been having them with almond butter when my meal is a little lacking in fat. I usually have them at home (afternoon/evening) which is probably why that is when the gas has been the worst. I realized this when I ate one this morning and had more/stinkier morning gas than usual. I have also historically had bloating issues with too many nuts, so the fact that they are going together might be the perfect digestive storm. I don't eat very much almond butter otherwise. 

This is probably God's way of telling me that I am not following the spirit of the program when I indulge in dates and almond butter while claiming I am "getting my fat serving," so... those are probably going to have to go. Funny how that works. #accountability 

Even if no one reads this, I think journaling it helped. And now I've told the internet I'm going to stop eating dates, so I actually have to. :lol:

20 minutes ago, emilyelowe said:

This is probably God's way of telling me that I am not following the spirit of the program when I indulge in dates and almond butter while claiming I am "getting my fat serving," so... those are probably going to have to go. Funny how that works. #accountability 

<nods>

Sorry, but yeah, not the best way to get fat in - and dates give quite the sugar hit too, so won't help with any cravings.... They're also high FODMAP along wit the nuts & very well known for causing digestive distress in all kinds of forms.

Great that you figured it out, and sorry that nobody got back to you....

As an aside the coconut water is kind of like a light fruit juice & only recommended for those involved in endurance sports, or those whose work leaves them prone to dehydration.

Archived