Olive Oil Substitute

16 minutes ago, Aflyingbuttress said:

I just found out I am allergic to olives and I have to eliminate olive oil from my diet. Can anyone recommend a good cooking oil that is not going to completely break the bank?

I love cooking with coconut oil - also when Kerrygold is on sale at my grocery store I stock up and make a big batch of ghee (tons of tutorials online, so easy!). Also, if you already have bacon you can save the fat and use that for cooking - free!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Kryptokeyb said:

Olive is a healthy oil for cooking and good for diet. Try to use vegetable oil and canola oil.

Vegetable oil and canola oil are not approved for the Whole30 EXCEPT for eating out when there are no other options and if that 'vegetable' oil has soy in it, then it's out no matter what.  Please have a read through the rules.

Hi there, i understand you very well. I have the same problem and some years ago i have found an oil made fully of raw maize. It's called CUORE (olio di mais) it's an italian brand. I like it because it have a lot of omega 3 and omega 6! Really amazing, and lowers your cholesterol. You can try it if you don't have any allergy to maize. ;):)

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Graw1996 said:

Hi there, i understand you very well. I have the same problem and some years ago i have found an oil made fully of raw maize. It's called CUORE (olio di mais) it's an italian brand. I like it because it have a lot of omega 3 and omega 6! Really amazing, and lowers your cholesterol. You can try it if you don't have any allergy to maize. ;):)

This would not be appropriate for the Whole30 as corn and corn products are not allowed.  Canola oil is allowed reluctantly for people eating out when there are no other options but soy oil, corn oil are not approved at all in any case.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2017 at 10:07 AM, Aflyingbuttress said:

I just found out I am allergic to olives and I have to eliminate olive oil from my diet. Can anyone recommend a good cooking oil that is not going to completely break the bank?

I just bought a large bottle of avocado oil for $8.99 -- it tastes wonderful both as a cooking oil and a dressing oil. I also use coconut oil for cooking, and a little bit goes a long way. :)

Archived