Tahini...anyone else have a problem?

Fenderbender

Ok so I'm like day 70 and feel mostly amazing all the time.... Last night in a last ditch attempt to eat some good fat ( I was out of town,strait back to a mess at work, no time to shop) I made and ate some tahini.... About 3 tbsp

Well for the first time in months I felt all achy and tired a few min after I ate, felt like I needed to sleep, then my stomach hurt and then I felt all swollen and bloated.

for the first time in months my knees hurt this morning.... I pushed through extra long/ extra hard workout and worked up a really good sweat and feel back to normal now....

I double checked all ingredients and the tahini and everything else I ate was compliant..... First time I had sesame in about 7-8 months

Anyone else have/ heard of an adverse effect to sesame??? Could be a coincidence ? Touch of stomach flu? But I doubt it..... Man it hit me like a ton of bricks and seeds are permanently off my list!

You are in such a good place now that I would guess that sesame seeds are no bueno for you, especially if you haven't had them in awhile.

I love reading all the reintros and adverse affects people have from even compliant foods.

Will you try it again just to confirm if it was indeed the seeds? Or was that one gut punch enough to swear them off totally? Nuts have a yucky affect on me but pumpkin seeds seem to be ok (eaten very sparingly of course due to the omega 6s.

I might give it a go mucho later but it's not worth it feeling like that.... If it was just my gut I may chalk it up to a bug or feeling run down,but the fact that my knees were so inflamed kinda makes me suspect I can't tolerate seeds..... It's amazing that this way of life really lets you be so in tune with your body! Instant feedback loop ( well in this case)

Not feeling like crap all the time....that's my " magic". I think some folks read a bit here and there and think 2 weeks of W30 will get them running a sub four min mile or have superman powers...... Little steps, feeling better and better allows you to be more active,train harder, which makes you feel even better......... Watch out,soon ill have X-ray vision!!!!

Ugh... I can't eat tahini straight like that! I can totally understand how icky it made you feel! I can only do tahini if it is mixed in dressings, like the sunshine sauce from Wel Fed or (sh!) hummus--not that I eat that very often anymore. A dash of sesame seed oil in stir fry, but not a lot there either. Were the seeds fresh? Maybe if the seeds were getting stale they might have affected you because of that?

SpinSpin..... Good to hear its not just me

I made the tahini at work ( chefs perks.... We were out of avacado, normally I have a huge stash of extra virgin oil and coconut oil, coconut milk for me but I let it run out before I left.... Nothing else we stock is compliant And I was desperate lol. ). And yes the Sesame was very fresh.... Just got a sack from my mid-east market soooo. I wish it were that it was rancid because I loved sesame :(

This might be the reason: http://naturallivingsocal.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/why-you-should-not-buy-tahini.html (phytic acid)

When you do some testing later, I'd try seeds, tahini, sesame oil, maybe try soaked, toasted oil (the kind used in chinese food) and untoasted oil (bland). I'm guessing uncooked unsoaked tahini would be the roughest.

• 5 months later...

I'm so glad I found this. I made "hummus" out of tahini and zucchini and my stomach aches soon after I eat it. I thought it was the garlic or maybe the veggies I was eating it with, but after switching out the veggies, I think it's the tahini.

DARN! It's so tasty.

I'm glad this Whole 30 is allowing me to figure out what foods agree with me.

Archived