Post exercise headaches

I am not an advanced athlete, but I still do my best to exercise. However, frequently after exercising I get a headache bad enough that I have to dig out the ibuprofen. This is not specific to my whole30 (this is my first, I'm on day 11), but I was hoping that the headaches had been connected to the food I was eating and would go away!

Has anyone else experienced this and been able to navigate it? Perhaps there is a post workout snack that would address this? I just don't know enough of the science yet to do more than guess.

Thank you!

My workouts vary, from walking a few miles, biking, to variations of WODs. For example, yesterday I did (1/2mi run; then 50 squats; 40 mountain climbers; 30 situps; 20 push ups; 10 sprawls) for 15 min.

The headaches start after the work out is over and continually get worse until I give in and take medicine. Not every time, but usually if it's higher intensity or if the temperature is at all warm/hot.

I need to hone my post meals, which might be part of the problem? The meal planning template says to include higher carb produce ye not rely on fruit, but yesterday I ate a banana because no sweet potatoes were immediately available. I'm not sure how high the intensity of the work out needs to be to justify a post meal.

As far as water, I'm trying to drink a good deal. I don't want to slosh around when exercising but I make sure to drink an extra few glasses a day when I work out.

Your workout definitely justifies a post WO snack. Anytime you don't feel awesome after a WO is when you should add a snack IMHO. See if eating a lean protein and a starchie immediately after your workout fixes this. I get headachey if I workout too hard and run errands before having a snack. I am also not pleasant to be around when I do that. Also, if you don't drink during your WO, then chug a bunch of water right after. My workouts have decreased in rest periods greatly, so I am finding it hard to fit in the water I need. I feel pretty dehydrated afterwards, so instead of chatting with my trainer about earth shattering things, I am spending my 20 seconds drinking water. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I get at too, and it's almost always because I haven't had enough water or if I don't eat before I work out (I Crossfit). Long workouts in particular. I tend to not drink much during the workout hour because of the peeing thing, so with long, intense workouts, I often get a headache. It helps to eat as soon as possible and drink lots of water.

Archived