Day 16 and no strength

I'm at the end of day 16. I feel great. I'm sleeping well with a feeling of having had a deeper sleep each night. I'm eating well (of course), I don't feel bloated at the end of a day, and I have more energy and more stamina... So what do I mean by no strength? Any weights I lift are more challenging than before. I don't seem to be able to lift, to have much power and strength. It Starts With Food - so I thought I'd eat more red meat as I've mostly been eating fish, chicken or lamb. I'm not a big beef eater it sits too long in my system (something I was hoping Whole30 would help with - but as yet hasn't). Eating more red meat hasn't helped with building strength. Any suggestions on where I may be going wrong, or do I just need patience...

What's your carb intake like? Are you getting enough carbs in your PWO meal? Carbs are tough on the W30 because basically the only really dense source of carbohydrates is sweet potato and sweet potatoes get boring pretty fast for some people. Then again, there are lots of different kinds if you don't like the orange ones.

• Moderators

I am happy you are trying more beef, but I agree with notacommittee that carb intake may be the relevant factor. If you are not eating starchy carbs like sweet potato, parsnips, butternut squash, pumpkin, beets, turnips, rutabagas, plantains, etc, you are likely to feel less energy and may experience that as having less strength.

Regarding the feeling that beef sits in your stomach too long... maybe it is. You may need to add digestive enzymes for a while to help your gut get up to speed on digesting beef efficiently.

Thank you both for this information. I will try the digestive enzymes out. In regards to sweet potato, I love it and have it daily as well as pumpkin and both in a variety of ways. I usually do some exercise both morning and evening and probably need to work with the ingredients in my PWO meal/s. Thanks again.

I've been having the same problems in regards to not feeling strong at all anymore. I can barely lift the weights I was lifting before I began the Whole30 a couple weeks ago. I have increased my carbs in the last couple of days and am feeling a lot more normal now. I am taking a couple days off of training to let my body adjust a bit and will get back to my routine next week. I think carbs are the key to feeling stronger and having more energy for sure!

Archived