Christi's REAL Whole30 - starting 14May2013

christartist

Day two, week one -

30 day goals

1. NUTRITION - Eat three meals - 100% Whole30 - at least 2 eaten at the table; 8 glasses H2O
  2. SLEEP - TV off by 7PM, 5 minutes to check phone before beD
  3. STRESS MGT - 15 min per chore; 45 min per work; < 45 min computer time
  4. EXERCISE - walk the dog 3XD(which includes down and up three flights of stairs each time); TTAPP;
  5. ACTIVE RECOVERY - 15 min stretching per wod; evening streches
  6. INJURY REHAB - ICE knees, elbows & shoulder/neck area after wod; rehab exercises
  7. FUN & PLAY - One active play per week; one dancing song per day
  8. PERSONAL GROWTH - Bible in 90 days; one new recipe per week
  9. TEMPERANCE - Limiting FB and internet to 3 - 15 min intervals(except logging)
  10. SELF-CARE - Skin Brushing 2xD

Today:

1. start to paleo-ize the house for the whole30 focus(PANTRY TODAY)

2. put away all the stuff from the trailer, and pack things to go back to the trailer(TWO CONTAINERS)

3. make signs for a) Bible memory verses, B) Cebuano words, c) whole30 plans

4. prepare some paleo options - chicken, beef

If I get these things done today, I count it successful

5. (because of a supportive friend) I will give myself grace if I only get 3 out of 4 done. ;-) If I give myself grace, and that is #5, does that mean I will have 4 out of 5? See how my mind works?

I hope to be able to come back and log in what I have done.

Day Two Check off -

Day two, week one -

30 day goals

1. NUTRITION - Eat three meals - 100% Whole30 - at least 2 eaten at the table; 8 glasses H2ODONE!
  2. SLEEP - TV off by 7PM, 5 minutes to check phone before beD
  3. STRESS MGT - 15 min per chore; 45 min per work; < 45 min computer time DONE!
  4. EXERCISE - walk the dog 3XD(which includes down and up three flights of stairs each time); DONE! TTAPP;
  5. ACTIVE RECOVERY - 15 min stretching per wod; evening streches
  6. INJURY REHAB - ICE knees, elbows & shoulder/neck area after wod; rehab exercises
  7. FUN & PLAY - One active play per week; one dancing song per day
  8. PERSONAL GROWTH - Bible in 90 days; one new recipe per week DONE!
  9. TEMPERANCE - Limiting FB and internet to 3 - 15 min intervals(except logging) DONE!
  10. SELF-CARE - Skin Brushing 2xD DONE! 1X

Today:

1. start to paleo-ize the house for the whole30 focus(PANTRY TODAY) ALMOST DONE!

2. put away all the stuff from the trailer, and pack things to go back to the trailer(TWO CONTAINERS) ONE DONE!

3. make signs for a) Bible memory verses, B) Cebuano words, c) whole30 plans EFFORT TOWARDS DONE!

4. prepare some paleo options - chicken, beef DONE!

5. (because of a supportive friend) I will give myself grace if I only get 3 out of 4 done. ;-) If I give myself grace, and that is #5, does that mean I will have 4 out of 5? See how my mind works? GRACE DONE!

I hope to be able to come back and log in what I have done.

Day 3, week 1; 17 May 2013 - ADDING CHECK OFFS

30 day goals

• NUTRITION - Eat three meals - 100% Whole30 - at least 2 eaten at the table; 8 glasses H2O DONE :rolleyes:
  • SLEEP - TV off by 7PM, 5 minutes to check phone before bed - :mellow: MOVIE
  • STRESS MGT - 15 min per chore; 45 min per work; < 45 min computer time :rolleyes: DONE
  • EXERCISE - walk the dog 3XD(which includes down and up three flights of stairs each time) DONE; TTAPP;
  • ACTIVE RECOVERY - 15 min stretching per wod; evening streches NO
  • INJURY REHAB - ICE knees, elbows & shoulder/neck area after wod; rehab exercises NO
  • FUN & PLAY - One active play per week; one dancing song per day NO
  • PERSONAL GROWTH - Bible in 90 days ; one new recipe per week :D
  • TEMPERANCE - Limiting FB and internet to 3 - 15 min intervals(except logging)CK
  • SELF-CARE - Skin Brushing 2xD CK

Today:

1. start to paleo-ize the house for the whole30 focus(FINISH PANTRY, AND KITCHEN) ALMOST DONE,

2. put away all the stuff from the trailer, and pack things to go back to the trailer(ONE CONTAINER, BR)

3. make signs for a) Bible memory verses, B) Cebuano words, c) whole30 plans (WHOLE 30 RULES)

4. PLAN GROCERY LIST - AND GO TO MEALS - NOT TODAY

5. (because of a supportive friend) I will give myself grace if I only get 3 out of 4 done. ;-) If I give myself grace, and that is #5, does that mean I will have 4 out of 5? See how my mind works?

Today was rough. I woke up feeling pretty good, but slowly digestive issues came up - nausea, cramps, along with the day three lethargy.

There were times that I wanted to snack...even on good food, BUT I REALIZED THAT IT WAS JUST HABIT BECAUSE I DIDN'T FEEL GOOD!

WHILE I DID NOT MEET MY GOALS...I ATE CLEAN THE WHOLE DAY! The reason? I had boiled eggs, cooked ground beef mix, and cooked, leftover sweet potato AND broc/cauliflower mix. I WAS PREPARED!

I COUNT TODAY AS A WIN!

Day Two Check off -

I have no idea if this is working - but I want to write about me feelings here, too.

Day 2 - really sort of day 3 for me, so I'm sort of getting the emails from the support a day late....but - I was SO TIRED - Lethargic is such a perfect word.

I just seemed to be dragging, and yet, there has been an energy brewing within my body.

Like, I'm too tired to get up and do a chore, and yet, I know I need to walk the dog(down and up 30 steps), and when I get outside with the dog, I think, I could walk another 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile, and in my crazier moments - 1 mile! This, in light of some pains from walking down the stairs. Because of my personal injury recovery needs, I am having to say to myself "that is not wise at this time, take it slower."

the change is that I am feeling the energy to do things that I'm not physically ready to do.

Prior to this day, I wanted the energy to do what I was able to do!

I don't know if this makes sense, but it is a huge issue for me.

Today(day 3) I hope to write about the whole mental change towards food that is growing in me, and the excitement of being able to cook again!

Welcome! I think being gentle with your physical self is so important. I bet that as the weeks roll along, you will find yourself able to walk those stairs with a bit less pain.

Good luck!

Welcome! I think being gentle with your physical self is so important. I bet that as the weeks roll along, you will find yourself able to walk those stairs with a bit less pain.

Good luck!

Thank you!

Last month, while in Georgia - I hiked up Tybee Lighthouse stairs and St Simons Lighthouse stairs...and I keep thinking "I'm just climbing a lighthouse in thirds" ;-)

http://www.tybeelighthouse.org/

http://www.saintsimonslighthouse.org/

I hope we can do a coastal lighthouse trip, and I can walk up and down all of them! One at a time! :D

It's truly amazing to heal and be able to do more activities that you've missed out on. I love it! I hiked the Great Wall when I was 100 pounds heavier. I'd love to go back and do it again now!

It's truly amazing to heal and be able to do more activities that you've missed out on. I love it! I hiked the Great Wall when I was 100 pounds heavier. I'd love to go back and do it again now!

I am headed to the Phillipines in September to aid with a mission there. They walk EVERYWHERE! I am taking responsibility for my health so that I can help others!

Great Wall, how awesome!

Day FOUR, week one -

30 day goals

• NUTRITION - Eat three meals - 100% Whole30 - at least 2 eaten at the table; 8 glasses H2O
  • SLEEP - TV off by 7PM, 5 minutes to check phone before beD
  • STRESS MGT - 15 min per chore; 45 min per work; < 45 min computer time
  • EXERCISE - walk the dog 3XD(which includes down and up three flights of stairs each time); TTAPP;
  • ACTIVE RECOVERY - 15 min stretching per wod; evening streches
  • INJURY REHAB - ICE knees, elbows & shoulder/neck area after wod; rehab exercises
  • FUN & PLAY - One active play per week; one dancing song per day
  • PERSONAL GROWTH - Bible in 90 days; one new recipe per week
  • TEMPERANCE - Limiting FB and internet to 3 - 15 min intervals(except logging)
  • SELF-CARE - Skin Brushing 2xD

Today:

1. start to paleo-ize the house for the whole30 focus(GROCERY)

2. PLAN ORGANIZING AND CLEANING SCHEDULE

3. make signs for a) Bible memory verses, B) Cebuano words,

4. prepare some paleo GO-TO options - chicken, beef

5. Movie and Dinner outing - clean!

Day 4 and 5 - weekend review

Yesterday, my husband and I went to see Ironman3, and out to dinner.

here were my solutions:

I made up a container of sliced apples, in squeezed orange juice, because I had the oranges, and not lemons..., sprinkled cinnamon and a few sliced almonds we still had in the pantry. I screwed on the lid, shook it up, and left! I did have pecans in my purse as well - but I forgot those.

That became an issue, as I ended up going too long between meals(as a diabetic) and the apples in orange juice(didn't drink the juice) did give me that high, then crash. If I had eaten the pecans, I think it would have been fine. In fact, I ate a handful on the way to the restaurant, and I was less shaky!

We went to Texas Roadhouse - not my first option, but because of my crash, a close option. Because of allergies, had the fillet grilled in aluminum foil, no spices, no oils, no sugar - just salt and pepper. sweet potato and a salad with oil, vinegar, and salt and pepper.

All in all - I think this was a successful date!

I did get some walking in as we walked around places...but not the up and down from the third floor as I had through the week.

I was able to get my water in with no problem.

Sunday, I had to drive based on a flight time, and was out for lunch, and I stopped at a Bob Evans.

I asked for the manager to check on things for added sugar in the salad chicken breast.

The grilled chicken breast is marinated - and has corn syrup solids...yuck, but the spinach salad is made with baked chicken upon which nothing is placed.

So, spinach salad, no pecans, left most of the craisins, and lemon juice for my dressing!

I don't intend to eat out again this week until possibly MEMORIAL WEEKEND (I guess I should have thought about that before I started, eh?), so I'm ready to go with the week's grocery supplies, exercise plan, and the encouragement that I have succeeded through this 'week'.

My only concern is that I seem to have insomnia...now that I'm not so sleepy through the day. I'd really like to sleep at night!

DAY 6 - WHAT IS GOING ON????

I woke up today feeling pretty good -

did the first dog walk. But, I did my skin brushing first.

Then, when I came back in, I watched the news while I ate my meal 1( I know...but I'm keeping track of the tornadoes)

I did some cleaning organizing around the apartment while listening to the news -

I did some basic exercises to reset my back and hips after moving books around - so - EXERCISE!

THEN I WAS EXHAUSTED!!!!

I took TWO naps in a row! How am I supposed to start working out if I'm sleeping all the time?

For the last three days, I've struggled with insomnia of a sorts...and today, I keep needing naps...which I don't want to do because I prefer to sleep at night!

Of course, today's email is about sleep.

I don't want to cook, but then, when I'm in the kitchen, ideas just keep coming into my head to add to the eggs, to make and put on a salad, to do this, and that to prep for 'what if' times. I could turn into a cook at this rate! Without the pasta and velveeta(no, I haven't eaten that in like, um, years!).

Then, I went to check out the workout room at our complex. I decided to ride the bike for a while. Of course, I walked over to the office complex, since I couldn't bring myself to drive over there, less than a mile, to work out. At noon. I'm diabetic. no more boiled eggs ready, and I didn't take any. I really wasn't sure I was going to do anything.

5 minutes passed...this feels pretty good.

10 minutes passed...ok, let's go on for 15!

15 minutes passed, I did over 4 miles on the bike within my heart range!!!

oh, yeah - I'm diabetic...and I was feeling a bit low, and my service dog was alerting in a mild manner. GO HOME!

I did have to walk home, because I didn't drive - duh.

and to climb the three flights of stairs while my heart rate had climbed to above the appropriate level for me...this was a bit scary.

I made it, of course, or I wouldn't be writing this.

My HRM was beeping to beat the band...my dog was concerned because my hr was high...but, I sat down with a bottle of water.

I rested. I was a bit dizzy from the low sugar, but I rested first. No fruit. No fat. Just water.

Then a strange thing happened.

WITHOUT EATING, THE SHAKES LEFT ME AS MY HEART RATE SAT IN THE 'FAT BURNING' RANGE FOR 15 MINUTES!

Could I be starting to burn fat already? This has NEVER happened before. I've always had to grab some sugar, and that would start the daily roller coaster for sugar highs and lows!

If this change continues, then I can understand how they say that stretching is 25% of your workout...that while you stretch after, the body continues to burn fat...mine never seemed to!

If this change continues, then I can face down the fear of collapsing while working out, because I don't notice the drops.

If this change continues, then I can dream about that Sprint Triathlon again!

There's only one thing standing between me and 'this change' continuing...and that is my choices.

Do I choose to eat so that I don't have inflammation?

Do I choose to eat so that I don't have sugar highs and lows?

Do I choose to eat so that I don't put toxins inside my body that causes my lymphs to swell up like oranges?

Do I choose to eat in a manner that honors my body as the temple of the Holy Ghost?

Do I choose to eat in a manner that says "I love me"?

Well, now, that is a whole new relationship with food. On day 6.

Day 7 - wow - one week? 21May2013

Same goals as before....

1. continue to paleo-ize the house for the whole30 focus(read labels AGAIN)done

2. PLAN ORGANIZING AND CLEANING SCHEDULE - Migraine

3. make signs for a) Bible memory verses, B) Cebuano words, Migraine

4. prepare some paleo GO-TO options - Rose's Fat Flush Soup from Fat Flush Program....YUMMMMMMY

5. Office work - boring!

But I am finding the 30 day goals a little more difficult:

30 day goals, with updates

• NUTRITION - Eat three meals - 100% Whole30 - at least 2 eaten at the table; 8 glasses H2O - done!
  • SLEEP - TV off by 7PM, 5 minutes to check phone before bed - not done
  • STRESS MGT - 15 min per chore; 45 min per work; < 45 min computer time - done
  • EXERCISE - walk the dog 3XD(which includes down and up three flights of stairs each time); TTAPP; - dog makes demands - walked the dog 4x, and realized I needed to cut back on my big plans
  • ACTIVE RECOVERY - 15 min stretching per wod; evening streches - ok, I am trying to believe in this
  • INJURY REHAB - ICE knees, elbows & shoulder/neck area after wod; rehab exercises - totally forget! this was to PREVENT injury!
  • FUN & PLAY - One active play per week; one dancing song per day - I danced today - three songs at least!
  • PERSONAL GROWTH - Bible in 90 days - working on this; one new recipe per week - ....remade an old new recipe!
  • TEMPERANCE - Limiting FB and internet to 3 - 15 min intervals(except logging) Timer is now sitting staring at me while I type!
  • SELF-CARE - Skin Brushing 2xD - 1 1/2x

I am learning that I am not a very good stick-to-it person.

I am learning that I have a lot of fears.

I am learning that while I am not as strong as I used to be, physically - I am strong enough to work on getting stronger, day by day.

I slept like a baby last night...a little longer than I had planned - but at least the insomnia is gone...and hopefully, the day time sleepiness will be gone soon, too.

Now - to take on day 7!

Day 7 Meals:

Meal 1 Eggs and something

Meal 2 Rose's soup + guac

Meal 3 compliant applesauce and black olives - migraine hindered my eating, but I didn't snack.

I DID NOT COMFORT EAT WHILE FIGHTING OFF THE MIGRAINE! WIN!

I made soup!

This will be my go-to meal - hamburger and tons of veggies -

No fat...but I can add that at the table!

It's called Rose's Fat Flush Soup - from a years gone by fat flush plan!

Look out lunch...I may have to decide to eat a go-to meal!

post-25270-0-97362100-1369149526_thumb.j

post-25270-0-77879500-1369149531_thumb.j

Congrats on your first week! I love that you have so many personal goals listed! I should maybe follow suit... Focusing on the food intake is sort of taking all of my mental capacity at the moment though... my Day 7 is tomorrow.. ahhmazing...

I have to second Gwendolyn's comment! Seeing how you are really taking this as a whole-life process is very cool. I don't think I'm going to be able to re-vamp all the areas of my life in this month, but am looking to pay special attention to a few that closely relate to my food/eating life.

And nice work with the soup! Doing food prep and feeling like you're setting yourself up is so satisfying. Such a simple way to get a very real sense of accomplishment!

HEHEHE, the Personal goals are from a whole30 goal sheet...and, while I have them listed, they are not my focus...of which I need to remind myself. They are there to give me something to focus on, globally, in my life, not just food. But, my life has contributed to MY food issues!

Day 8 - 22May2013

Same goals as before....

1. Preparing food

2. PLAN ORGANIZING AND CLEANING SCHEDULE

3. make signs for a) Bible memory verses, B) Cebuano words, (I really need to get this done!)

4. writing letters

5. Office work - boring!

But I am finding the 30 day goals a little more difficult:

30 day goals, with updates

• NUTRITION - Eat three meals - 100% Whole30 - at least 2 eaten at the table; 8 glasses H2O - this isn't so difficult
  • SLEEP - TV off by 7PM, 5 minutes to check phone before bed - This is VERY difficult
  • STRESS MGT - 15 min per chore; 45 min per work; < 45 min computer time - uh, I just picked up my timer
  • EXERCISE - walk the dog 3XD(which includes down and up three flights of stairs each time); TTAPP; - dog makes demands - not the exercise program so much.
  • ACTIVE RECOVERY - 15 min stretching per wod; evening streches - ok, I am trying to believe in this
  • INJURY REHAB - ICE knees, elbows & shoulder/neck area after wod; rehab exercises - totally forget! this was to PREVENT injury!
  • FUN & PLAY - One active play per week; one dancing song per day -
  • PERSONAL GROWTH - Bible in 90 days - working on this; one new recipe per week - today I make paleo meatloaves, and breakfast meat master
  • TEMPERANCE - Limiting FB and internet to 3 - 15 min intervals(except logging) Timer is now sitting staring at me while I type!
  • SELF-CARE - Skin Brushing 2xD - minimum 1x consistently

MY NEW SELF WORTH FOCUSI:

I am learning that I am not a very good stick-to-it person. THAT CAN CHANGE!

I am learning that I have a lot of fears. I CAN FACE DOWN FEARS BY CHRIST IN ME!

I am learning that while I am not as strong as I used to be, physically - I am strong enough to work on getting stronger, day by day.

Now - to take on day 8!

Day 8 was HARD!

I felt lazy - because I wasn't doing alot. (I am technically disabled. I don't do much of anything to care for myself because of illness issues, and rehab, so, feeling lazy comes naturally)

I had spent all morning standing in the kitchen, preparing, cooking, eating(sat down for that) and then cleaning up.

I can't remember when I've gone this long with me planning, preparing, eating and cleaning up my meals - three times a day.

it is taking a toll on my energy levels - until I am recovered, I only have so many spoons.

http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/wpress/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/

And, I have not had to walk the dog, down and up three flights of stairs, all by myself for years.

I have walked him at least three times each day...even when I can only do the stairs and take him to some grass.

BUT

the laundry isn't done (the bags aren't full yet!)

the trash isn't taken out (I have one bag - and it will go with me to the dumpster when I go to the doctor today)

the house isn't unpacked and made liveable (I'm not even supposed to move the boxes because of weight)

And this mentality caused me to want to EAT ANYTHING WRONG!

I WAS REBELLING!

If I could, I would eat anything in the house that was not on program - though I realize now that in the non-paleo area, I have a quinoa/rice package...I didn't cheat!

I KNOW IF i WAS OUT DRIVING- I WOULD HAVE GIVEN UP AND GONE TO WENDY'S....AND PROBABLY GOTTEN A FROSTY.

But because I was home, I could think through my duldrums, and realize, the food wasn't the issue....

MY HEAD WAS!!!

I talked to my dear husband...and he helped me put my life into perspective.

Meal 1 - so yummy omelette with kale!

Meal 2 - Roses' soup -

Meal 3 - compliant sausage with saurkraut, and 1/2 sweet potato

3 walks with the dog.

Chicken cooked for go-to meals for day 9!

as hard as it is for me to say - today was a win!

Day 9

Feeling off, I thought I had posted todays plans, but didn't.

I ate eggs while finding out about a friends emergency health issues.

Meal 2 was an awesome salad.

Meal 3 was supposed to be meatloaf, but I couldn't find the recipe (arrgghh), so, seasoned grassfed burgers and mixed veggies

At the doctors office, bp was 100/72. WHAT? Three months ago, I had to take bp med for a week prior to and for a month after a surgery. I had been fighting bp meds for a while because I was so close to high bp. There was no mention of bp meds today! WIN!

Headed out to do dog walk#3

Day 10 - 24 May 2013

The emails are starting to blur together - though they are amazingly dead on. I am doing the whole30 daily program...an email a day to remind me where I am, what I should be doing, and giving some great suggestions.

But, today - I have to clean up the house - mainly the kitchen! Hubby is coming home.

I know that I am going through die off...reverse symptomology...and I have aches and pains that I have not had for a while...but I know about die off!

I hope later today to get to a Whole Foods, and purchase some Kombucha - water kefir, as well as some other things I cannot find in my local groceries.

I hope to be able to get things done in a steady, consistent manner...rather than the psycho manic manner in which I throw myself into things and then, I'm totally exhausted. Steady. Consistent. One step at a time.

so, that's my plan today - one step at a time.

Day 16 - 5/30/2013

I have not posted/logged for a while...since Memorial Day weekend.

This weekend was wonderful and rough...but I succeeded,

with a cookout that WE provided for at another person's house, SUCCESS!

a trip to a garden and eating in the cafe' as well as meeting for breakfast beforehand. SUCCESS!

Then Tuesday happened...and I was SOOOOO tired.I ate three meals, very small, very go-to meals.

Then Wednesday happened...and I was STILL tired. I ate three meals. two go-to and one great one made by my husband.

Having food available really made the difference.

Last night, I had a CPAP study done, because my CPAP masks have been causing problems.

WE FOUND A MASK THAT WORKS FOR ME! SUCCESS!

And I got some REAL sleep - even though it was only 5 hours. I came home and got another 2 hours of REAL sleep - and I am feeling GREAT!.

I am behind on my whole30daily emails, but I am on track with my whole30!

Today, I am doing a version of Melissa's cook up from well fed!

Oh - Kombucha, YUM! I'm not sure I'll get into making it just yet, but it's worth a trip to Whole Foods (1 hour away) once a paycheck just to buy some!

Today, I feel like a new woman!

Yeah! on feeling like a new woman and for still being on track!! I'm finding it gets easier and easier.. but it really does make a huge difference when there's planning involved!

Great job and good luck on your second half!!!

Today, cooked master meat mix, and roses fast flush soup.

Meal 1 was 3 eggs, Turkey sausage, and a fruit cup

Meal 2 was roses ff soup

Meal 3 was salmon and sweet potato fritter

Oh, yum!

And when I looked at the hotel for next week, I said NO KITCHEN? NO WAY!

I walked the dog 8/10 of a mile, at the fastest walk yet.

Tiger blood? Not quite, but better than ever!

Archived