Banana or Sweet Potato?

I've determined that I probably need to add more carbohydrates to fuel my workouts since my recoveries and energy levels during runs are zilch. I know both bananas and sweet potatoes are high in carbohydrates so I am wondering if there would be any advantages/disadvantages to picking one over the other.

I've not figured out if one is more beneficial than the other, although I would assume the sweet potato because its officially a vegetable... But they could be equal for all I know... You could just do what I do (on mornings when I have the time)... You might think I'm crazy but I'm hooked on this combo and I got my co-worker who's also doing W30 hooked on it... Steam your sweet potato in the microwave, mash it up like you normally would, cook some banana slices in coconut oil on the stove until they're soft and getting browned, use whatever seasonsings you like (cinnamon and paprika for me, sometimes Chipotle Pepper powder if I'm wanting a little kick), then top the sweet potatoes with the banana slices. I swear, its a divine combo. I love it...

• Moderators

Fructose in bananas make the carbs different than the carbs in sweet potatoes. I'm not certain of all the differences that makes, but you should definitely favor sweet potatoes over bananas to replenish energy. Favor any starchy veggie over fruit.

Archived