Michaels 30 Days of Right

Michael13

First a bit of background. In January during a visit with a doctor I found out that my blood pressure was 150/90 and I weighed 260 lbs. I was shocked (though given my sedentary lifestyle and poor eating habits I shouldn't have been) and decided that I needed to change. So I bought a gym membership, started tracking my calories (sometimes) and have been rewarded with some success.

A few weeks ago I was complaining about the boredom of a standard weightlifting program when a guy at the gym told me to check out CrossFit. I liked the idea so I did some internet research and crossfit lead to paleo which led to whole30. I bought It Starts With Food, read it and now I'm here to start my Whole30.

Some stats, mostly for my reference at the end.

Male, 30, 244lbs

Systolic 120

Diastolic 74

Pulse 64bpm

Just a side note. I work 3rd shift so most of my logs will be posted at odd hours as I finish up my day.

Day 1

M1: 3 eggs scrambled in coconut oil with spinach leaves and tomato. Note, I think adding the tomato while scrambling gives the eggs an odd consistency.

M2/pre workout: beef top sirloin, grilled. Broccoli and cucumber. Fist full of almonds.

Post workout: beef top sirloin, grilled (just the other palm sized piece from m2). Sweet potato cubed and pan fried in coconut oil.

M3: Grilled chicken breast over spinach and kale salad. Dressed with olive oil.

Michael I so agree with tomatoes and eggs. Love them separately. Not fond of them together. :)

I haven't tried that but I can imagine! Though I do like fried tomatoes - reminds me of Dad cooking his English breakfasts :)

Good luck Michael! You sound so prepared, you're going to smash this :)

Day 2 is nearly over. Eating for the day is done sooo....

M1: 3 eggs scrambled with onion. Whole green pepper. Half an avocado.

M2: Grilled beef top sirloin. Whole cucumber. 1/4 cantaloupe melon. No fat here because my day was really compressed an this ended up being my post workout meal.

M3: Grilled chicken breast over spinach and kale salad dressed with olive oil.

I'm not being real creative here but I don't really feel the need to yet. I like meat and raw veg. Maybe this weekend I'll try out some of the Well Fed recipes.

The hardest thing so far is not weighing everything and tracking calories.

Day 3, I forgot to post day three. It was...

M1: 3 eggs scrambled with spinach, onion and a tiny bit of fresh garlic. Half an avocado.

M2: Grilled top sirloin. 1 whole green pepper. 1 whole cucumber. Fist full of natural walnuts. I thought these were in the good fat list but I was wrong.

M3: Grilled chicken breast over spinach and kale salad dressed with olive oil.

Day 4

M1: I made this...

post-26291-13700599677809_thumb.jpg

A frittata (sp) with 9 eggs, 2 peppers, a whole onion and 4 strips of bacon. I topped this mornings piece with some cherry tomatoes and half an avocado.

M2: 10 minute chili from ISWF. Whole green pepper. Half an avocado. Handful of strawberries.

M3: Grilled sirloin over spinach and kale salad dressed with olive oil. Fist full of macadamia nuts.

I think I'm doing it right. Im so tired though, like sleeping 10 hours a day tired.

Where do you find un roasted cashews? All of my local markets have cashews but they're roasted in peanut oil.

You're doing great! I think we all go through a tired slump at some point. Mine came in the middle. I've read that it's your body adapting to burning fat rather than glucose. (I think - don't quote me on it).

I presume you at in the US? I'm in Oz, and find unroasted cashews at the supermarket. Maybe try a health food store?

Thank you for the supportive words Percypat! I'm going to run to the city and try our local whole foods style store today.

Day 5

M1: Ribeye steak, steamed broccoli, asparagus. Asparagus is tasty, this is the first I've ever tried it.

M2: Slice of that frittata topped with avocado and cherry tomatoes. 1 quarter cantaloupe.

M3: 10 minute chili. Whole cucumber and fist full of macadamia nuts, hand full of strawberries.

Now for the confession. I know we aren't to weigh ourselves but I had to have a exam for my new life insurance policy. This included me getting on a scale. I tried not to look but the nurse stated it out loud. I will say either their scale was off or my body is just responding to this.

Chitowngirlintx, thank you it is pretty amazing. I didn't know you could bake eggs before this. Thanks for the walgreens tip, I'll check it out. We don't have a whole foods here but I was able to find some raw cashews at The Anderson's today. First time there (new to nw Ohio).

Day six.

M1: 3 eggs. Pan seared tbone. Bowl of cantaloupe. No veg or fat here, I was hurrying to get my morning meal in and get to the grocer.

M2: Grilled NY strip. Grilled broccoli. Fist full of raw cashews. Handful of strawberries.

Pre workout: 2 hardboiled eggs.

Post workout: Grilled salmon

M3: 10 minute chili over spinach and kale salad dressed with olive oil.

Chitowngirl, it's actually in the back of It Starts With Food. You just take whatever portion size you're using of ground meat (already browned) and add it to 1/2 can diced tomatoes. Then add green and red bell peppers 1/2 tsp cumin and 1 tsp chili powder. All you have to do is heat and eat!

I made enough for 4 meals all at once and it seemed to get tastier the longer it sat.

Day Seven:

M1: the last portion of my fritatta topped with avacado and cherry tomatoes.

M2: Grilled NY strip with a fist full of raw cashews and 2 bell peppers.

M3: The last bit of the chili over a kale and romaine salad topped with olive oil.

Whoever might be reading this, it doesn't look like tapatalk is saving my formatting so everything is ending up bunched together. Sorry for the eyesore.

DAY EIGHT:

M1: 4 eggs scrambled. Green pepper, cantaloupe, avocado.

M2: Grilled NY strip with cucumber and tomato. Fist full of raw cashews.

M3: Grilled pork chop over kale and romaine salad topped with olive oil.

Chitowngirl, it's actually in the back of It Starts With Food. You just take whatever portion size you're using of ground meat (already browned) and add it to 1/2 can diced tomatoes. Then add green and red bell peppers 1/2 tsp cumin and 1 tsp chili powder. All you have to do is heat and eat!

I made enough for 4 meals all at once and it seemed to get tastier the longer it sat.

Thank you! I use my iPad so much that I forget to look for recipes in ISWF!

I'm not being real creative here but I don't really feel the need to yet. I like meat and raw veg. Maybe this weekend I'll try out some of the Well Fed recipes.

I actually think keeping it as simple as you are can be a really good thing! Recipes are fun, but you can also kinda wear yourself out with them. I just started reading your log tonight. Sounds like you're doing great!

Thank you Shelda!

DAY NINE :

M1: 4 eggs scrambled with onion and kale. Cantaloupe and half an avocado.

Post workout: Grilled salmon

M2: Grilled beef top sirloin a green pepper and a cucumber with cashews.

M3: Grilled chicken breast over kale and romaine salad with half an avocado.

DAY TEN:

M1: Ground sausage, coconut oil, green pepper, tomato.

Pre workout: 1 hard boiled egg.

Post workout: Grilled salmon.

M2: Grilled sirloin, cucumber, yellow pepper, half an avocado.

M3: Grilled chicken breast over kale and romaine and spinach salad with half an avocado.

DAY ELEVEN:

Woke up early today feeling shiny. Then the bruins finished off the penguins. Then I went for a run and didn't hate it. Today was a good day.

M1: Ground sausage, tomato, cantaloupe, coconut oil.

Pre workout: 1 hard boiled egg.

Post workout: Grilled salmon.

M2: Ground beef over a kale and romaine and spinach salad topped with garlic olive oil (this stuff is amazing).

M3: Grilled thick cut pork chop over a kale and romaine and spinach salad topped with garlic olive oil.

Obviously I can only remember to update this every other day.

DAY TWELVE:

M1: Eggs fried in coconut oil with spinach leaves and onion.

M2: Browned beef with onion, green pepper and an avocado.

Only 2 meals yesterday due to the swingieness of working 3rd and adjusting to normal hours for the weekend.

DAY THIRTEEN:

M1: Eggs scrambled with onion and green pepper topped with coconut oil.

M2: Grilled sirloin with grilled broccoli, onion, cauliflower and carrots topped with olive oil.

M3: Grilled chicken thighs over a kale, spinach and romaine salad topped with olive oil.

Grilled up all my meat for the week today using a marinade I made out of fresh garlic, shallots, cilantro and olive oil. Also felt amazing when I woke. Tons of energy.

DAY FOURTEEN :

M1: 3 eggs scrambled with onion and coconut oil. Tomato. Handful of strawberries.

M2: Grilled sirloin with a cucumber and half a bag of baby carrots. Half an avocado.

M3: Grilled chicken thighs with a green pepper and half an avocado.

Archived