BBQ Sauce made with Dates? Anyone have a recipe?

Here is the one from ISWF, haven't tried it though. My DH made one but can't remember where he found it :-) :

“Adapted from Cook's Illustrated's “Quick BBQ Sauce†(2007); makes about 1 cup.

1 cup tomato sauce · 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce · 2 Tbsp cider vinegar · 2 Tbsp coconut aminos · 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard · 1 tsp hot-pepper sauce · ¼ tsp black pepper · ½ Tbsp clarified butter or coconut oil · 1 clove garlic, minced · 1 tsp chili powder · ½ tsp paprika · ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (optional) · pinch cloves

In a medium bowl, whisk the tomato sauce, apple sauce, vinegar, coconut aminos, mustard, hot-pepper sauce, and black pepper until combined. Heat the clarified butter or coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, then add the garlic, chili powder, paprika, and cayenne, stirring until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Whisk in the sauce and bring to a boil. Simmer gently, uncovered, 25-30 minutes, until the sauce is thickened and flavorful. Cool to room temperature before using, and store covered in the fridge for up to a week.â€

Excerpt From: Melissa Hartwig & Dallas Hartwig. “It Starts With Food.†Victory Belt Publishing Inc., 2012. iBooks.

This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBookstore: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/it-starts-with-food/id536273062?mt=11

Thanks Keianna! I have tried this recipe before and unfortunately I was not a fan :( . I am specifically looking for a recipe using dates as the sweetener to give that caramel hint that brown sugar usually gives regular BBQ sauce.

• 1 month later...

i'm pretty sure theres a thread in the "recipes" section with a whole list of recipes for sauces - BBQ included! I want to make that too, it's probably the only thing I've missed having for a long time!

as bad as it sounds....if I ever ate junk, which was/is rare...I loved BBQ chicken pizza. like, pizza hut style - not woodfired, nice pizza!

Archived