LB's Log (started July 5)

laurabotts

Although I've been jotting down what I eat, I thought it might be good to have an online place to post, too. I'm now starting day 3, and breakfast has been eaten. We ate the end of our stir-fried pork and veggies from last night. Yum! (Mr. B said, "I can't say I don't miss the rice, but not much.")

I did have a little bit of Splenda-sweetened diet green tea last night, but I was tired of drinking plain water. I put some tomato juice in the fridge to chill, so maybe that will give me a break when I need one.

I haven't had any major carb cravings yet, but we'll see how I do over a weekend. I've realized already that I do a lot of eating/snacking when I'm bored, so I'll need some distractions.

Thank you all for your support!

Good job on the great start! Be mindful though of the fact that you may not experience the full benefit of the whole30 without following it's rules explicitly. If you're bored with water, you can add some cucumber and lemon to a jug of it and let it sit in the fridge. It's delicious. Or maybe some herbal teas. If you're craving something sweet and indulging then you're potentially feeding an addiction (that you might not even be aware of) that we want you to break. How about tossing the rest of that splenda and stocking up on some teas today?

I chopped up some limes into chunky wedges and froze them - ice cube & flavouring in one! I am having a sparkling water with one and some torn mint leaves right now, so refreshing!

So many lovely natural flavours to enjoy, Splenda can stay in the factory!

Thanks for the lime idea. I hadn't thought about making them into cubes! (And I'm going to finish that bottle of tea, not just toss it, but I'll see about switching to another kind after that.)

We had a late lunch today of salad, and supper tonight was the end of our Crock Pot chicken soup (chicken, carrots, onions, celery, and spices) plus the end of the salad for me. I'm actually tired of chewing!

Today (day 7) involved two restaurant meals. I had a Chick-Fil-A chargrilled chicken and fruit salad at lunch and just ate around the cheese. No dressing. Tonight I had the Caribbean salad with grilled chicken at Chili's, and I added avocado. I used just a little of the dressing (which I'm sure had added sugar), but with both salads I really relied on the fruit to give it some zing. Both were very tasty! (Today I also bought some beef jerky without added sugar, arrowroot powder, almond butter, and a blood orange vinegar.)

Well, it's day 8, and we tried making homemade mayo for the first time. Unfortunately, we didn't stop soon enough, and the emulsion broke. We'll save it for other uses and maybe try the Kitchen Aid next time instead of our blender.

On tap for tonight: spaghetti squash.

I like that, Emily! They do look that way. :) Today is day 12, and I'm having a very late lunch of chili: no beans, add carrots. Mighty good stuff! We've also learned that rutabagas make a good substitute for white potatoes in beef stew.

Just made some egg salad with homemade mayo, mustard, the tiniest bit of Splenda-sweetened relish, salt, and pepper. The bite I sampled before refrigerating it tasted pretty good. I've always preferred Miracle Whip to mayo, so it will take some getting used to for me, anyway.

Archived