Newby as of June 1

Vembra

Very glad to be connected here.  I am new to Paleo and with a prompting from my daughter (who eats Paleo with her Cross-fit boyfriend) encouraged me to go for the Whole30.  It has been an interesting journey so far.  I was a serial Diet Coke drinker and did I say yet, a daily wine drinker. I actually kicked off eating Paleo on Mother's Day but didn't give up the DC or Wine.  Now, five days into it I have survived.  

I am enjoying the new recipes and being creative. I do love to cook but notice that there is serious planning and prep to have the right foods on hand.  After I did the pantry/ refrig purge the cupboards were bare for a while but I am all stocked up now.  I think summer must be the perfect time to start this process as all the great farmers markets are in full swing.  

I am using the Non Nom Paleo app on my Ipad and it has become my staple like veges in my kitchen.  Today I have the slow cooker Kalue Pork going on and look forward to that little treat.  

I do have one question for you.  I notice that my "drinking" all day included several DCokes/ then wine at night.  Now while I am drinking plenty of water I am a little bored with just plain water.  Any suggestions to change it up.  I tried Decaf Green tea w/o sweetener - Not my cup of tea.  I do like Pellegrino with Lime.  It's a nice treat at the end of the day and put it in a wine glass to make me feel as though I am experiencing something really special..   I would be happy to learn if there are any other options.  surely cave men and women had something besides water?????   Just saying...  

I drink black coffee, water, mineral water, and kombucha for the most part. I like tea (you have to try until you find something you like - be careful to read ingredients you would be surprised).

You can also jazz up plain water with a little lemon, lime, or other fruit. I used to use frozen fruit as ice a lot.

I get bored with water, too. I use lemon slices, frozen berries, or fresh mint to spruce it up. I also like La Croix and other flavored mineral waters, but I have to watch it becasue I will pound down those things and not drink anything else. Not bad, just an expensive habit. Also like Physibeth said, kombucha, all sorts of black, green, and herbal teas (check them for off-plan ingredients, sometimes they'll getcha). Welcome and good luck!

• Moderators

I keep 6 or 8 herbal teas at a time in my kitchen and drink 2 to 4 mugs per day. I like plain water, but sometimes add a splash of lemon juice to add some interest. And I drink a bottle of kombucha every day. I tend to buy a case at a time and find that I am happy to drink the same one 12 days in a row and then switch to another one. I like them all.

I really like the Hint waters I order from amazon. They have a number of flavors (watermelon and blackberry are my faves). They are expensive, but they do seem to help me actually drink water, which I sometimes struggle with. I just recently ordered some that are herb based: Ayala's Herbal Waters (the lavender vanilla is really nice).

I also really love ice tea. I brew regular Luzianne with a Stash peach bag as well. I used to put 1/4 t. of stevia in it, but not lately :)

Archived