Almost two weeks in and I think I have been doing it wrong

heather rose

HI. My name is Heather and I started the Whole30 May 28th. I read up on the website but am on hold at the library for the book. I have been doing well not eating anything I am supposed to and feeling fine with it! In fact I am a training runner and have already noticed my runs feeling easier and my speed workouts faster!

My question is it seems I may have been doing some things wrong. Such as...i have been eating a lot of fruit and now my friends who are Whole30 vets have said I am not supposed to have more than 1-2 servings of fruit. Also, I guess I am supposed to be following a meal template?

Here are my typical meals:   breakfast usually an egg or two with sometimes onion, green pepper in it.

some steamed veggies and maybe some berries or banana

lunch: raw carrots/celery, more steamed veggies, some kind of meat, another

piece of fruit (maybe apple or peach)

dinner: veggies, salad, meat

Am I doing it wrong? Do I need to start it over? I have NOT had any grains, corn, canola oil, legumes including peanut/peanut butter, dairy, soy products, sugar including any sugar substitute. Have been drinking only water/sparking water. Please advise! It is helping me so much in my life and my athletics I want to do it all right. Glad this is here! Thanks!

Based on what you just posted that only looks like 1-2 servings of fruit so I'm a touch confused. As a runner having fruit should be fine though you may want to add some starchy veggies instead. You are also not eating a lot of protein for breakfast and I don't see any added fat in your meals. 

Here is the link to the meal template: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

You would only need to start over if you ate off-plan foods. The meal template gives recommendations for the size/composition of your meals so that you will be successful and healthy (i.e. get the nutrients you need, not feel hungry, etc.). You should definitely review that link; like Physibeth said, you appear to be on a low-fat diet...not what the W30 is all about. But don't stress about starting over. The foods you are eating are great; you just should consider a few tweaks to make sure you are following the meal template from here on out.

Hi Heather, you haven't eaten off plan so I'd say you don't need to start over. However I will say that now you've got the meal template, you will get much better results if you follow that. W30 is about not only cutting out problematic foods but also about changing our relationship with food and totally nourishing our bodies in the best way possible.

If you just concentrate on what you cut out and not on nourishing your body, you're missing a lot of the benfits. At each meal have 1 -2 palmsizes of protein, enough healthy fats (your body needs them) and then fill the plate with veg. The occasional serving of fruit is fine, just don't let it push vegetables off the plate as they are more nutritious.

Follow this and think of the rest of your W30 as being turbo-charged. You deserve to get the best possible results out of it. Good luck

Thanks so much! I am glad I joined this forum so I can have someone to bounce off of. You all are very helpful. I will definitely follow your advice and tweak my plan to be more successful. I am on hold for the book at the library (9 in front of me) so I am sure that will also help.

Hi Heather!  I'm super cheap & rarely buy brand new books. I usually borrow them from the library a few times and then if I really like them, I'll try to find them used.

BUT, I bought the hard cover version right after it was published & consider it one of the best investments I ever made. I still refer back to the book pretty frequently and dip into the science parts a little at a time. Plus, having the book on hand exactly when I need additional support helps me keep my mind straight. I'm even considering buying the Kindle version :)

Yeah. I am mad at myself right now I DO have to start over as I had something today with white sugar in it. I do not have the money to get the book right now so feel kind of lost at sea but will just start over today. My dates now will be June 10th to July 10th. I am trying not to berate myself but use this to learn what/why sugar beat me this time. I knew sugar was going to be the hardest for me to kick.

Archived