Oh noooooo bacon!!!!

Littlepeanut

So i just saw on my label for my bacon (not sure how i even MISSED it) that it has turbinado sugar! uughhhhh. While i don't even eat it that often and use 1-2 pieces as a healthy fat... I'm on day 9... I'm trying to not overthink it but this is my 2nd whole 30 and i ate this same bacon the first time and saw tremendous result but did i fubar?? I'm so mad! Lol it was super affordable and my little town doesn't have alot of stores that have compliant bacon grrr frustrated!!

• Moderators

First: Don't worry about it. That amount of sugar does not ruin a Whole30. Second (and this is really important): Don't eat any more of that bacon during a Whole30.

Philosophers in the crowd may wonder why I say don't worry about it AND don't eat any more. Or, if it doesn't ruin a Whole30, why is sugar-cured bacon banned during a Whole30? The reason is that we don't want anyone making judgement calls about how much of an unhealthy ingredient is acceptable. We don't want you weighing yourself, counting calories, fat grams, or sugar grams. The acceptable amount of added sugar is none. Any added sugar makes food unacceptable. On the other hand, if you mess up and eat sugar-cured bacon because you were temporarily blind while reading an ingredient label, the consequences to your body are probably small enough that you should not worry about it. Now if that same blindness led to your eating some gluten, a pass cannot be offered so freely because even a small amount of gluten can cause a lot of people trouble.

thanks Tom!!! I guess the other frustration is the package even SAID it was "uncured"... so I double checked the ingredients and probably in my haste missed one key word (like sugar) lol....

see what happens when I get excited!! yes... the bacon is now at the back of the freezer to await until AFTER my W30. (it doesn't expire until later July) so I won't be completely wasting food....or money. LOL...

• 4 weeks later...

Really? I will have to check our Publix, but I've never seen that brand. I usually just buy pork belly and make my own, would be nice to have alternatives for guests.

Some of the Publix have it and some don't. I first found it in a special section with the Applewood farms and other 'organic' meats. This time the meat department also had Maverick Farms Grass Fed Ground Beef, so I snapped that up and put it in the freezer.

Archived