Internship = eating out every day

Hey everyone!! In a summer associate at a mega law firm which means they take us out for amazing lunches EVERY day! This has resulted in me gaining ~8 pounds in 4 weeks and feeling downright awful about myself.

I'm wondering what you'd do in a situation that's essentially an extended interview where you MUST attend social events and lunches which always have non compliant food.

During lunches I've resolved to always get a salad or veggies with no dressing and salmon or some other grilled fish with no sauce. For sushi places I'll get sashimi and perhaps a salad (I'm doing no soy, FODMAPS, and pescetarian (yea I know this is a made up term)).

I'm just concerned about events that's are catered where there are no compliant options. What do I do?? Eat a small portion? For example, I have a dinner at a partner's house and I'm a little worried about that situation. I hope she asks about food sensitivities. If not, what's your advice?

It sounds like you're doing fine on the lunches. Make sure you're getting a good fat in there. I do olive oil and a squeezed lemon wedge on my salad. What other advice were you seeking on that front?

On the catered stuff, yes, that can be more tricky.  I would tell your host about your food sensitivities and work something out with her.  Offer to contact the caterer yourself to see if you can work out a special meal.  If that's not possible, eat something compliant beforehand. 

Really? I don't know what type of environment a dinner host wouldn't welcome an offer for help with the food, but I'll accept that they exist :)

Mentioning dietary restrictions in a discreet email to the host is another good option, not as a demand, but as a "hey, here's my sitch. what do you think would work? and then offer to bring something.

I had to email the CFO of my company, for a team lunch meeting that was inevitably pizza. his EAs have always been very accommodating and nobody else has ever questioned it.

Given that it's a catered event, I'd contact her sooner rather than later, again to see if either you and she can work something out, or you can work directly with the caterer to craft an acceptable meal for you.

It's not catered, right? that was just a different scenario that you'll run into?

I'd shoot her an email sooner rather than later...maybe next email/time it's mentioned...and just say something like:

Not a huge deal, but I'm working through some food sensitivities right now and can't eat any grains, dairy or soy, will there be anything there I can eat? Salads are generally safe and would be totally fine. If everything's already arranged, no worries, I'm more than happy to bring something!

Archived