Some Special food for psoriasis

I have psoriasis. It's pretty damn stubborn when it wants to be. I haven't been able to get rid of it with standard paleo living, but it's certainly less aggressive and I don't need the steroid treatments as often anymore.

I agree with the above, though, try a standard Whole 30 first. I'm just not ready to restrict my diet further yet. Psoriasis is often triggered by stress so do whatever makes you well-nourished and stress-free. If you're OK with the idea of the auto-immune protocol then go for it, but if you're unsure then spend 30 days just following the basic rules before going on the auto-immune plan.

I have had psoriasis on the tops of my feet for a few years now. It was starting to heal the first time I went paleo, then i got sick and was perscribed some prednisone for swelling in my knees from the virus I had and in the 8 days I took the prednisone, the psoriasis was almost completely gone, but as soon as I stopped taking it and was still eating crappy, it came right back with a vengeance and it's worse than ever. Hopefully the whole30 will help it! I took pictures of it on like day 3 or 4, so I'll compare that with what it looks like on day 30 and see if there's any improvement. good luck!

my psoriasis was about 70% gone after I did my whole100. I am finishing up my whole30 after taking about a month and a half off and found that the trigger for me was dairy. mine is finally completely gone, so 30 days may not be enough, but if you see a change keep going! I reintroduced dairy first after those 100 days and I could tell the difference immediately. I didn't do much more off-roading, but I know dairy was the main problem since it continued to heal once I took it back out

I have psoriasis. I had some improvement after a w30, but it got significantly better when I did a 10-day mini AIP.

During my w30 I realized nightshades would make my skin itch immediately so I cut them out. The same went for nuts. I think a big difference for me is taking fermented cod liver oil.

I'm on my second w30 (after some false starts, some wheat-eating--which resulted in immediate psoriasis flaring) and it's calming down again. I'm following AIP with some changes. I found out I'm ok with egg yolks only. I think I need to get back off coffee but I'm not pushing that now. Maybe next week.

Honestly if the AIP doesn't freak you out, I don't see why you need to finish a regular w30. Why not just do it all at once? Or at least take out nightshades and unsoaked nuts? Maybe take out eggs for a bit and later add yolks back? After eliminating nightshades for a few days and then adding them back I could see/feel immediate reaction. So you can test various foods one at a time. It might not be definitive but you can get a general idea of what is most exacerbating.

That said, AIP can feel awfully restrictive after W30. You will probably feel grumpy about it for a few days.

Paleo Mom has a ton of good info on psoriasis, AIP and the leaky gut/skin connection.

http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/04/modifying-paleo-to-treat-psoriasis.html

The good thing about starting with AIP or even modified AIP is that it'll make the regular W30 food list seem luxurious. :)

It's not *that* bad though. Just takes some adjusting. I kinda figure why get used to eating eggs, chili and tomato salads if you might go on AIP down the road?

Archived