yuubou

I was able to go the Whole 30 without intentionally adding any off plan foods, so I am very proud of myself.  I later figured out that some of the food I had eaten contained trace amounts of off plan foods (white wine in the dijon mustard, sugar in pickled vinegar at the sushi restaurant, soy oil in my salmon patties) but I think the amounts were so small that I don't worry about them.

In any event, I'd like to post here about my reintro since I don't think the ISWF goes into as much detail as I'd like about this segment of the program.

I originally began the program to figure out what was causing me daily headaches.  I removed nuts from my diet in addition to the Whole 30 list due to allergies that run in my family.

My other issues are disordered eating - I have always had trouble with a "sugar dragon" & binging on sweets.

I had wanted my skin to be a little clearer, although it wasn't bad to begin with.

I had hoped to lose some weight.

After the Whole 30 I did lose some weight and inches but not as much as I had hoped.  Also, my fruit consumption had been way above the 1-2 servings as suggested & realized that at least this point I can't control myself.  So in this next phase I have decided to count carbs & calories based on the keto calculator as I reintroduce things, testing grains and gluten only after I am at a happy weight.

I have also decided to split up dairy into 3 testing days: 1 for whey protein, 1 for casein protein, 1 for lactose.  I have also decided to test soy separately from other legumes.

Thursday, June 20th

Day 31: Reintroduced Nuts

I made sure to have some macademia nuts through out the day.

It was also the first day I had a lot higher fat percentage of calories as compared to carbs since I was counting.  I made sure to have some electrolytes & chicken broth.

Eating this way actually made me very happy & the closest to "tiger blood" I've experienced.  However, I also felt a slight pressure on my temples after eating, but it could be unrelated.  Later I had a definite dull headache..

Complicating things is it was the 1st day of my period, which really could be the cause of a lot of things.

I monitored the next two days faithfully following the Whole 30 menu, but no real developments.

Verdict: Inconclusive

I plan to try reintroducing nuts, particularly Walnuts & Pecans, another time and retest it.

Sunday, June 23rd

Day 34: Reintroduce Whey Protein

I have a huge tub of Whey Protein Isolate, so I decided to test that next.

When reading up about allergens, I learned that in addition to some people not being able to process lactose, some people are allergic to the proteins in dairy.  But there's more!  Some people are allergic to the Whey protein, and some are allergic to Casein protein, and some are allergic to both!  Which is why I've decided to test them separately.  Typically, a glass of milk contains 20% Whey protein and the rest in casein.  Cheese is mostly all casein.  Cottage cheese is a mixture of casein (the curds) and whey & lactose.  Whey protein isolate is whey protein without any lactose.

So, I am not sure if it is a bit excessive, but since I have a 3lb tub of the whey protein, I decided to just use shakes to get my full amount of protein.  It is, after all, only for one day.  That ends up equalling 3.5 scoops of the whey powder.

I had 2 shakes at lunch time, and man the headache that exploded - it lasted from 1pm to 5pm.  My nose & sinus area hurt a bit as well as my eyes. 

I looked up online about whey protein allergies, and it listed a slew of symptoms that I didn't have, but headaches were on the list, so I think it is plausible.  I did not take advil, instead decided to wait until the headache subsided and to retest again during dinner.

I had another 1.5 scoops during dinner, and it seems the headache has returned.

Verdict: Seems I am sensitive to whey

Yesterday I set out to test Casein.

Casein is the protein that is in hard cheese, while Whey is the protein that drains out of it.  Some softer cheeses may have some Whey left in it.  Some may add Whey, like in Cream Cheese.  And some cheeses, like Ricotta, are made totally from Whey.

Body builders will tell you Whey is fast digesting & revs your metabolism.  Casein is known to be much slower to digest.  I think this may also translate here - a Whey Intolerance should hit you over the head immediately, while a casein intolerance might be slower, less intense, but longer to hit you.  Adding fat into the mix will make it digest even slower & affect you slower.

I had 2 oz of Muenster Cheese with both my breakfast and lunch as my source of fat.

My head felt a little bit of pressure, but it was something that I could ignore.  It might add up over time.

After work I stopped at a cheese store to ask questions.  I ended up picking up another cheese & a package of Mascarpone cheese.  I had read Mascarpone can have a similar taste to ice cream without protein, so it is almost 100% fat.  I've been really sad about the thought of a life without ice cream.

And when I started to eat it...I was uncontrollable.  It turned into something very unpretty, and I started to get a headache, etc.  So of course I thought, well if I'm getting the symptoms, I may as well go and get real ice cream. 

I've struggled with the Sugar Dragon & disordered eating for a long time like this, and last night has made me realize that even if cheese & other dairy didn't give me physical symptoms, I have a very unhealthy psychological response to it. 

The real symptoms started up after that - headache, feeling my heart thump, rumbly tummy, sleeplessness (maybe from the sugar).  This morning I feel hungover, bloated and have stomach upset.  I was too scared to get on the scale.  Also, I feel really emotional.  I almost started crying in public when I read about Nelson Mandela in the paper.

I think in retrospect a little Parmesan or other hard cheese here and there wouldn't affect me, but that's not the things that I miss.  It's the cream in my coffee, the mozzarella on a piece of pizza, the ice cream.  Those are the things with whey that make me feel terrible physically and out of control mentally.  I am grateful for figuring out that the cause of all this, and I will try to remember all of these things the next time those things get in my head and entice me. 

It's a hard reality for me, but I know the sooner I can view Dairy as a poison to me, the better off I will be.  I want to have a healthy relationship with food, and I want to have a healthy body.  To do that, I need to avoid Dairy.

Verdict: Casein does not improve my life on any level. I am intolerant to Dairy.

• 2 weeks later...

Soy:

I ended up testing soy for 2 different days, once on June 29th, and once on July 4th.

I had first tested soy with Soy Sauce at a restaurant, and with glasses of Soy Milk with the other meals. 

I found I got an ocular headache later in the day.  But then I remembered that Soy Sauce can have gluten in it, so realized that I would need to test soy again.

The second time I tested Soy I bought a pint of Soy ice cream and a container of Soy creamer for my coffee.

The Soy Ice Cream made my stomach queasy and passed through me fairly quickly.  For better or worse, I continued to have more servings through out the day, and by the final serving the act of going to the container flipped my stomach.  I also had headaches, but they weren't as bad in severity as the Dairy caused ones.  So I am ok with small quantities entering my diet, but for things like cold treats, I will stick to Coconut based food.

Verdict: Avoid Soy in large quantities

Gluten & Grains:

I tested Gluten on July 1st.

I had some baked sweets throughout the day that contained wheat and oats.  I also had some white bread at dinner

I didn't notice any problems with it physically.  But the sugar/sweetness of the baked goods is something that becomes no breaks for me.  I actually kind of wished I was sensitive to gluten so it would become easier for me to avoid like Dairy has.

Verdict: Ok on special occasions, but probably better for me to avoid for mental reasons.

I already avoided pastas and breads, since I don't enjoy them that much and they don't offer much in the way of nutrition.  But it seems my sugar dragon hasn't been slayed, so I am thinking of doing another Whole 30 that focuses more on following the meal template and keeping fruit to a minimum. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Archived