Magnesium

Vian

So, no idea if this is the right place to ask about this, but here goes.

A while back, I got some Natural Calm magnesium suppliment. It's supposed to calm you and help with muscle cramps and the like. The first night I took some before bed, I could NOT get to sleep. I normally have no issues getting to sleep except on rare occasions when I'm particularly anxious about something. I didn't really take any more of the Natural Calm because I don't like the taste. I've taken it a few times, but not with any regularity and usually earlier in the day rather than before bed. 

Lately, I've been having a lot of random muscle spasms - no pain, just lots of twitching, and it moves around my body. The other day it was my glute/hamstring area, sometimes it will be in my upper arm, other times it will be my calf, etc. I took a different magnesium suppliment that my mom has lastnight that is a different chelate of magnesium and is supposed to be even more absorbable than magnesium citrate such as in Natural Calm. 

Lastnight in bed I kept having weird anxiety wake me up as I started to drift off. I would be drifting off to sleep, and then get that feeling in my midsection of an adrenalin dump and wake up with my heart rate elevated. 

I thought magnesium was supposed to calm you, not give you anxiety! what is going on??

The Natural Calm has Ionic Magnesium citrate (created from citric acid and magnesium carbonate), organic raspberry and lemon flavors and organic stevia (I haven't use it while doing Whole30)

The other suppliment is Magnesium Glycinate and it contains the mag glycinate, cellulose, stearic acid, and Magnesium stearate.

I took the mag glycinate lastnight, this morning, and this evening and I noticed that all day today I have not had a single muscle twitch. They have been a daily thing for a few weeks now. Maybe I really am magnesium deficient.

Archived