Gaviscon for heart burns

I am now on day 2 of my Whole30, so far, so good! BUT I suffer from GERD and besides Nexium I have usually been taking some Gaviscon to relief heart burn.

Is Gaviscon okay to take during Whole30? I know they contain some no-no ingredients, but I am generally unsure of the rules on medication and pain relievers on Whole30.

Thanks!

• Moderators

Gaviscon is okay as a medication. I was reading the FAQ on their website and noted that the "Gaviscon liquids are sugar-free" (but not the tablets) so you should use the liquids if you are using Gaviscon. Eating a Whole30 diet for a while should help resolve symptoms of GERD.

Thank you. That is absolutely one of the things I hope will get better now.

I am actually cutting off the Nexium now, as I realized it is actually causing the heart burn. I never had that before a couple of months back. It's horrifying how doctors will put you on meds for life that will only make things worse.

Do you have access to digestive enzymes?  I had heartburn when I started my Whole30 and I took a pill before every meal and the heartburn went away after a few meals.  Once it wasn't bothering me, I quit taking them and haven't had any issues since.

Also try HCL, which is stomach acid. Most people have too little stomach acid, not too much. Then you can't digest your food properly, it ferments in your stomach and the gast from that makes it come up. A SAD diet or SIBO can also cause low stomach acid. Obviously taking stomach acid reducers will reduce acid production, making the problem twice as bad (I know, I know. WHY!!!!!).

I have had GERD and IBS symptoms almost my whole life. Taking HCL with meals (especially with meat) has solved most of those issues. Just start slow and build up to a # of HCL tablets that you feel comfortable with. If you feel any burning, drop down the # of pills. I find 3 works best for me, 4 if a meal is very meat based.

Archived