PaleoWhat? Whole30 Log

PaleoWhat?

Day 1 - 7/9/12

7:30 am -

2 Whole Eggs

1/2 avocado

2 tablespoons salsa

12:30 pm -

Spring Mix Salad w/ tomato, mushroom, green onion, 1/2 avocado, shrimp, olive oil & lemon juice

Carrot Sticks

Handful of pistachios

7:30 pm -

6oz Chicken Breast

3 cups Broccoli Roasted in Olive Oil, Salt & Garlic

Bing Cherries

Went to bed at 10pm for a 4:45am wakeup call.

Day 2 - 7/10/12

4:45am - Wake Up

5:30am - Tech MMA class

6:45am -

2 whole eggs

1/2 avocado

2 Tbsp Salsa

12:30pm -

Mixed Greens Salad w/ Chicken Breast, Shrimp, mushrooms, green onion, tomato, olive oil & lemon juice

Carrot sticks

Handful of pisatchios

3 Bing Cherries

3pm -

Lara Bar (Carrot Cake)

7pm -

Tilapia w/onions, tomato, green pepper, garlic

Spring Salad w/raspberries & blackberries

Bing Cherries

Handful of Pisatchios

Bed at 10pm

Curious, what is a Tech MMA Class? Is that your physical activity for the day? If so, did you eat before and/or after? If your class is what I think it is, I am concerned about the amount, or lack thereof, to support your activity level.

As Tom says above…don't be afraid to eat more.

Day 3 - 7/11/12

Didnt wake up in time for Crossfit this morning. :(

8am -

2 Whole Eggs

1/2 avocado

2 Tbsp Salsa

10am -

4oz smoked salmon

12pm-

Left over Fish and Salad from night before

Handful of pistachios

2pm-

Bing Cherries

6pm-

Chicken Breast w/honey mustard ginger marinade

Summer Salad

Bed by 10:45pm

Curious, what is a Tech MMA Class? Is that your physical activity for the day? If so, did you eat before and/or after? If your class is what I think it is, I am concerned about the amount, or lack thereof, to support your activity level.

As Tom says above…don't be afraid to eat more.

Tech MMA is basically an hour long bootcamp class. I rotating that with Crossfit for a month but I normally do Crossfit at that time 3 days a week. I eat as soon as I get home (usually 15 minutes after class).

I do think I should eat more but all the go-to foods that I am used to (chips, chocolate) are taboo now. So I am having a hard time with that. Thanks for the tip. :)

For pre-work out, include a small amount of protein (1/2 a meal size or smaller), and (optionally) a small amount of fat (1/2 a meal size or smaller). Do not add fruit or carb-dense veggies to your pre-workout snack. When you train first thing in the morning, something is better than nothing. I workout in the evening and I eat about an hour before I do. My pre-workout snack usually consists of whatever protein I had for lunch and some avocado or some olives. Since you workout in the morning, you could have some leftover protein from the night before or a hardboiled egg or two.

I opened the question of early morning pre-workout meal to a few of the athletes at my gym and the answers were all over the board. Some eat big at night, their WODs seem fine (they are not dizzy or too exhausted to continue) so they don't pre-WOD snack. Some like hard boiled eggs and/or some Applegate sausage before...just a bit of fat and protein, but not much.

For post-workout, take it with you to the gym and eat it before you leave. Do not wait until you get home. Try a meal sized easily digestible protein, up to a fist-sized portion of carb-dense veggies and little to no fat. Do not use fruit as your primary post-workout carb source, but rather choose sweet potato or yams or squash or pumpkin or beets. Your post-workout meal is a bonus meal and should not replace breakfast, lunch or dinner. It is designed to help you recover from a high intensity workout. I like to bring leftover protein from lunch, which is usually leftover protein from dinner the night before and a yam or sweet potato.

Take a look in the Whole30 For Athletes section of the Forum and see what works for others. I also believe this will take some tinkering on your part, perhaps start with a hardboiled egg or two in the morning, then adjust.

In general, snacks (other than pre/post workout) are just mini meals. Protein, fat and veggies. Perhaps, when you are making dinner, make a bunch so that you have enough for snacks (if needed) the next day.

Hope this helps…

For pre-work out, include a small amount of protein (1/2 a meal size or smaller), and (optionally) a small amount of fat (1/2 a meal size or smaller). Do not add fruit or carb-dense veggies to your pre-workout snack. When you train first thing in the morning, something is better than nothing. I workout in the evening and I eat about an hour before I do. My pre-workout snack usually consists of whatever protein I had for lunch and some avocado or some olives. Since you workout in the morning, you could have some leftover protein from the night before or a hardboiled egg or two.

I opened the question of early morning pre-workout meal to a few of the athletes at my gym and the answers were all over the board. Some eat big at night, their WODs seem fine (they are not dizzy or too exhausted to continue) so they don't pre-WOD snack. Some like hard boiled eggs and/or some Applegate sausage before...just a bit of fat and protein, but not much.

For post-workout, take it with you to the gym and eat it before you leave. Do not wait until you get home. Try a meal sized easily digestible protein, up to a fist-sized portion of carb-dense veggies and little to no fat. Do not use fruit as your primary post-workout carb source, but rather choose sweet potato or yams or squash or pumpkin or beets. Your post-workout meal is a bonus meal and should not replace breakfast, lunch or dinner. It is designed to help you recover from a high intensity workout. I like to bring leftover protein from lunch, which is usually leftover protein from dinner the night before and a yam or sweet potato.

Take a look in the Whole30 For Athletes section of the Forum and see what works for others. I also believe this will take some tinkering on your part, perhaps start with a hardboiled egg or two in the morning, then adjust.

In general, snacks (other than pre/post workout) are just mini meals. Protein, fat and veggies. Perhaps, when you are making dinner, make a bunch so that you have enough for snacks (if needed) the next day.

Hope this helps…

Thank you so much! You really broke it down in an easy way for me to understand (and print out for future reference). THANK YOU!

Day 5 - 7/13/12

8am

2 whole eggs

2T Salsa

1/4 avocado

4 slices of bacon

1pm

Jimmy Johns Unwich Double Meat

Dinner Party...This was a challenge

I brought the salad and my own soda water with lemons and limes so that I would know there would be something for me to eat. I had to skip all the wine and desserts and that was REALLY hard!

4 ribs (no sauce)

cabbage slaw

deviled eggs

cherries

Day 6 - 7/14/12

This was a weird day because I was judging a Crossfit Competition here locally. When I woke up I realized there was basically nothing to eat in the house and I just noshed on whole foods all day. So in no particular order....

1 Egg White (the yolk wasnt fully cooked)

Handful of Pistachios

Apple

Cherry Tomatoes

Baby Carrots

Pistachios

Cherries

Banana

Dinner was:

Turkey Lettuce Wraps

Roasted Broccoli

Day 7 - 7/15/12

1 WEEK DOWN!!!!

10am-

Bite of chicken breast

Couple of pistachios

10:30am-

1.5 mile run

Post Run-

Leftover Sweet Potato Hash

Bite of Chicken Breast

Lunch-

4 Naked Wings during our box' Crossfit Games viewing party

Snack-

Cherries

Pisatchios

Dinner-

Jimmy Johns #11 Unwich-No Cheese-Double Meat

I have done Paleo before and I'm doing this Whole30 to get myself back on track so the adjustment to the diet hasnt been too bad. But my run today SUCKED!!! However, I do remember that being the case in the first few weeks last time and it did get better so I am hoping for the same this time.

Day 8 - 7/16/12

5:30am - WOD

6:30 - Post WOD

Chicken

Sweet Potatoes

6:50am -

2 Whole Eggs

1/2 avocado

2T salsa

9am-

2 Deviled Eggs (egg, green onion, garlic, celery, mustard powder, pepper, paprika, Dijon mustard)

Noon-

Tuna Salad (tuna, lemon juice, olive oil, tomato, cucumber, green onion, garlic, parsley, mint)

2 Deviled Eggs

5 Cocktail Shrimp

Cherries

6pm-

Pistachios

7pm-

2 Mushroom Pork Medallions

Green Beans w/balsamic sauce

9pm-

Cherries

5:30am-

WOD

6:30am-

Chicken

Sweet Potatoes

6:50am-

2 Whole Eggs

1/2 avocado

2T Salsa

10am-

5 almonds

Noon-

Tuna Salad

Deviled Eggs

Cocktail Shrimp

3 Almonds

5 Cherries

6:30pm-

10oz Steak

Roasted Broccoli

9pm-

5 cherries

Day 11 - 7/19/12

8am-

2 Whole Eggs

1/2 Avocado

2T Salsa

11am-

2 Deviled Eggs

Noon-

Tuna Salad

1/2 portion of Green Salad w/Shrimp

2pm-

1/4 Lara Bar

6 Almonds

4pm-

6 Cherries

7pm-

2 Chicken Breasts w/Tomatos & Pine Nuts

Summer Salad w/Blackberries

I will be traveling this weekend so I probably wont be logging my food here. Wish me luck!

Weekend Away - This is just a general overview but I cant happily say that I DID NOT CHEAT!!!! and there was a TON of temptation...

Day 12 - 7/20/12

530am - WOD

630am-Chicken and Sweet Potatoe

8am-Eggs & Bacon

Snacks/Lunch-Almonds, Cherries, Tomatoes, Carrots

Dinner-Burger w/Lettuce, Tomatoe, Onions & garden Salad

Day 13 - 7/21/12

Eggs, Bacon, Cantaloupe

Turkey & Ham Sandwich minus the bread w/Lettuce Tomato & Onion

Mixed Fruit

Roast Beef

Broccoli

Day 14 - 7/22/12

Eggs, Bacon, Blackberries & Strawberries

2 Burgers w/Lettuce, Tomatoe & Onions

Green Beans

Cantaloupe

Pepperoni

Almonds

Tomatoes

Cherries

Cherries

Day 15 - 7/23/12

8am -

2 Eggs

1/2 avocado

2T Salsa

11am-

Handful of Almonds

12:30pm-

Garden Salad w/Baked Chicken

2:30-

Almonds

Cantaloupe

5:30pm-

2 Boiled Eggs

6:30pm-WOD

8:20pm-

Tilapia w/Tomato, Onion & Green Pepper

Summer Salad

10pm-

Cantaloupe

I seem to have the same problem at night after dinner and wanting a snack because I ate dinner as my post workout snack. I would say add some fat to it, like some almonds, just so your not just eating fruit alone and creating sugar cravings. :) Just a suggestion. I'd like to find a way to not have a snack after dinner. Ugh. It's tough sometimes though when I've worked out hard.

Day 16 - 7/24/12

8am

2 Eggs

1/2 avocado

2T salsa

10am

Boiled Egg

1230pm

6 Naked Wings

Garden Salad

2pm

Almonds

Berries

430pm

3 Shrimp

6pm

Combat Fitness Class

745pm

Baked Chicken

Roasted Broccoli

Blueberry Lara Bar

You are doing great on your nutrition and I think you have a much better handle on it than I do!! How are you feeling? What about weight loss? I know we are not supposed to be even looking at that but of course I can't help it and stepped on the scale - only 5lbs- really?!?!? Certainly feel great and sleep wonderful so there are changes happening.

Day 16 - we are on the downhill slide!

Archived