Learning to Use Kettlebells

sunnymama

Hi there- Just wondering if any of you are familiar with Pavel's Enter the Kettlebells and/or have any beginning KB suggestions?  I watched some of the DVD online and the instruction seems pretty clear.  What I am anticipating is a video I can stop and repeat each step as many times as needed.       

Learning to use KB's the correct way is very important to me, I'm not in a rush...really want get the form down for a variety of reasons.   I'm also looking around my area for an Intro Class that is affordable to me but for the remainder of this year regular classes will not be in my budget so I really need a quality home program I can learn and follow along with.  

Any advice/thoughts is appreciated!  

I would strongly recommend finding a good trainer or coach (RKC or Strong First Certified) although Pavel is a great resourse (and really the gold standard), nothing replaces in person coaching. I see a lot of people doing really dangerous things with kettlebells all the time at my gym, often with trainers standing right next to them, so getting the right trainer is key.

I think once you have gotten some initial training you could do KB workouts on your own, but I would consider checking in with the trainer periodically to keep refining form and adding challenge to your workouts.

I completely agree and am scouring options but I do now have a feel for what regular classes cost in my area and they are out of the question at this time.  Thank you for letting me know what certifications to look for, that is very helpful!       

• Moderators

I bought Pavel's Enter the Kettlebell along with the DVD and a 35-pound kettlebell to begin training with kettlebells at home. I had a little experience with kettlebells from CrossFit. The book has really clear pictures and the DVD is clear too, but I did not develop good technique until I hired a coach who was certified by Pavel. The coaching by an expert made a very noticeable difference. I had worked on my own for several months and my lower back was stressed. After working with a coach, I could do more kettlebell swings than before and not have any lower back stress. The changes in form that her coaching brought out in me were subtle. A less expert coach or someone who was not attentive would not have seen any issues with my form - no one did in CrossFit.

I found my coach on the Dragon Door website. I am sure they still have a list of coaches too. Pavel's new organization is Strong First and many coaches followed him from the old organization. There were no RKCs near me, but I found an HKC who came to my house for $50 per session. I worked with her for 15-20 weeks because I was planning to become an HKC. I got most of what I needed from her within 3 sessions, although she continued to teach me a lot of useful things.

So even with the book and DVD for was still off...that's sort of what I was afraid of.  

Sounds like you are both pretty fit and know what you're talking about.   I have read tons of info about sprinting, push-ups, HIIT training, etc...that I can do at home or around my area.  So if I start with that and work on putting money for KB training aside, maybe that's the best.    

And I just found someone RKC certified as you both mentioned.  

• Moderators

I have awful shoulder issues and have made my living sitting at a computer for a very long time. My needs for help in achieving good form may be higher than yours. I don't want to stop you from beginning to swing a kettlebell, but good coaching is extremely valuable. I didn't cause any damage starting off on my own, so I think you could improve your fitness with kettlebells on your own too. I just think it is very useful to learn from an expert at some point.

I understand Tom, and that makes perfect sense.  I'm going to keep checking, but narrowing places down by certification has been a huge help, can't wait to hear from the one closest to me.

The first day of my Whole30, to give me something to work towards I invested in a TRX and had it installed at home.  I may just start learning to use that and save up for the personal training, but I did order Pavel's book because as I researched one source said learn to do this without weight first so it will be useful anyway.  So excited to work back to being fit!!!!  Thanks for sharing your thoughts, all!   

• 1 month later...

Archived