~Support Thread for Week of July 7th Starters/Continue-ers

sunnymama

Today is my day one. I had 3 scrambled eggs with nitrate/sugar free bacon from Earth Fare and spinach and bell pepper. For lunch I had a 4 oz tuna steak with a big salad on the side and 1/2 cup of cherries for snack. Dinner is skin on baked chicken, roasted parsnips and sauteed zucchini. I haven't really been hungry today.  

I'm excited about my 30 days but it REALLY is psychological. I've limited my carb/wheat intake for a long time now (since November I think)  I never had a problem going a week or so without it but now that I KNOW I can't have it for 30 days, it is really bugging me. I just keep telling myself that the feeling will pass and then I'll feel great!

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Halfway through Day 1.  Going well so far.  I'm doing the Jon Gabriel Program (protein, live food and omega 3 at each meal) with whole foods, lots of veggies, some fruit and organic meats and eggs.  I am going to combine the two programs going forward (now no grains, legumes, dairy, or sweeteners). 

Question:  I know ISWF recommends no juicing because of excess fruit.  However, I have felt so much better since I started juicing a few months ago that I don't want to give it up .  My juices have very little fruit in them and I get more nutrients than I could ever get without juicing.   Also - I have no need for additional fiber - I have at least 2 comfortable bowel movements a day. 

I drink 48 oz. of green juice per day made up of the following:  1 large golden delicious apple, 1 large lemon, 5 or 6 large handfuls of fresh spinach with stems, 4 or 5 stalks of kale, 3 large cucumbers and whatever else I have (beets, celery, broccoli, etc.).  I drink 2 cups at each meal. 

Any recommendations?  I'm looking forward to sharing this adventure with you!

My husband and I started today. I think the biggest mistake was that we didn't prepare. He only went food shopping this afternoon, so by the time we got to eat lunch I was so hungry and I'm still trying to recover from that.

Breakfast - roasted butternut squash mashed with some coconut milk, a little cinnamon and a few pecans. black coffee

Lunch - grilled chicken breast and red pepper, cucumber salad, raspberries and blueberries 

Snack - because I was still hungry - handful of pistachios

Dinner - will be a roasted chicken, broccoli, zucchini, spinach and cauliflower saute.

Haha...love the mayo post! I made my first mayo yesterday. It tastes pretty good - I think I could have used more acid as my egg was bigger than normal, and next time ill use different oil. It worked though - I was very excited!

Can I ask - what is "homemade sausage"?

Halfway through Day 1. Going well so far. I'm doing the Jon Gabriel Program (protein, live food and omega 3 at each meal) with whole foods, lots of veggies, some fruit and organic meats and eggs. I am going to combine the two programs going forward (now no grains, legumes, dairy, or sweeteners).

Question: I know ISWF recommends no juicing because of excess fruit. However, I have felt so much better since I started juicing a few months ago that I don't want to give it up . My juices have very little fruit in them and I get more nutrients than I could ever get without juicing. Also - I have no need for additional fiber - I have at least 2 comfortable bowel movements a day.

I drink 48 oz. of green juice per day made up of the following: 1 large golden delicious apple, 1 large lemon, 5 or 6 large handfuls of fresh spinach with stems, 4 or 5 stalks of kale, 3 large cucumbers and whatever else I have (beets, celery, broccoli, etc.). I drink 2 cups at each meal.

Any recommendations? I'm looking forward to sharing this adventure with you!

Carol, we've been having multiple juices or smoothies every day for over a year - we love them, but can understand why they may not be the best thing to include in a diet. We've stopped them for the whole 30, but make sure we eat plenty of greens to compensate.

If you're juicing all that and having it over a day, you'll have lost any nutrient value by the end of the day...really, after about 15/30 minutes! Including beetroot and carrot is really just adding sugar once the fibre and nutrients have been taken out. If you are going to continue having them, at least try and make them fresh!

I defended my little (8 to 9 oz.) green smoothie on my little blog.  I did replace the VitaCoco brand coconut water with plain water on day 4 or so, b/c I realized it was non-compliant, whodathunk.  But other than taking that out I've continued having them with my breakfast and sometimes dinner.  Avocado-kale-spirulina green smoothies feel very anti-inflammatory to me...not sure if that's in my head or what but I love it and have no plans to give it up.  And it's small enough that I could definitely eat what's in it if I wanted to instead.  Well, except the spirulina as it is a special kind of nasty. :blink:           

Day two!! Very proud of myself for making breakfast, lunch and dinner following the guidelines, but starving after dinner. I'm breast feeding so I broke down and had an apple and some almonds after dinner...is that a big no no? I did really well throughout the day but I definitely wanted more dinner! Also had a huge headache yesterday but I'm positive I didn't eat enough yesterday. Any suggestions on breast feeding, someone said there was a link on the site but I can't seem to find it.

I made it through the day! I'm getting ready for bed to get my 8 hours of sleep.

It wasn't too bad and I have found a mentor kind of. She's been doing paleo (and crossfit) for more than a year. I think she's lost more than 40 lbs. She's going to give me a few of her paleo cookbooks so I can get more ideas. I found a recipe for Paleo crustless quiche that I hope to try on Wednesday. I just need to get some coconut milk first.

I'm very exhausted today.  

I'm trying to figure out how much of everything I should be eating and I'm having a difficult time getting my calories up to at least 1,200....do I even have to?  Today I had 98 grams of protein.  I had about 60 grams of fat and about 42 grams of carbohydrate. I know those numbers are off.  I went so far as to down a tablespoon full of coconut oil this evening because my numbers were off. 

I made it through the day! I'm getting ready for bed to get my 8 hours of sleep.

It wasn't too bad and I have found a mentor kind of. She's been doing paleo (and crossfit) for more than a year. I think she's lost more than 40 lbs. She's going to give me a few of her paleo cookbooks so I can get more ideas. I found a recipe for Paleo crustless quiche that I hope to try on Wednesday. I just need to get some coconut milk first.

I'm very exhausted today.

I'm trying to figure out how much of everything I should be eating and I'm having a difficult time getting my calories up to at least 1,200....do I even have to? Today I had 98 grams of protein. I had about 60 grams of fat and about 42 grams of carbohydrate. I know those numbers are off. I went so far as to down a tablespoon full of coconut oil this evening because my numbers were off.

How are you eating so little? I haven't calculated, but if you're adding enough fat per meal, and enough protein, you should be getting plenty. Maybe make sure you're aiming for the upper amounts on the template?

make sure you're adding starchy vegies to up the carbs. are you adding fat along with the stuff you cook in? lots of that fat will be left in the pan -perhaps avo on your salad, a couple of eggs to also up the protein, or some fruit with coconut milk, or nut butter if you want to have that? mayo is delicious too :)

Hello everyone :)

I'm just starting today, so I thought I'd join your thread as I'm not too far behind. I will surely need all the support I can get as you are basically my only support group (no pressure ;)). My parents think it's another crazy diet, my husband doesn't really care...

This will not be my first attempt. The furthest I've made it so far was day 17 this January. Then me grandma passed away and I tried to comfort myself with chocolate. Well... it didn't really work, go figure :P My primary goal with Whole30 is not to lose weight. I'm not even overweight am rather fit and active, but my food and my life in general has been all over the place lately and I'm trying to clean up the mess I've made of myself and as we all know, it starts with food :) So, good luck to us all :)

I was going to start next week, but was so excited I started yesterday. I am 55, hypothyroid and also IBS. So I'm doing the AIP plus no FODMAPS or Nightshades. I've been grain/FODMAP/Nightshade free for a few months, but for this I am also giving up dairy, eggs, wine and Chocolate (SOB!). So while it hasn't been THAT hard for me, it's still a change.

First day went ok. My difficulty is spacing out my meals with my schedule and the fact that I get full so quickly, it's hard to eat all themeals, which is why I get hungry a bit later.Today, I am increasing my breakfast and eating a bit later to see if that helps.

Here is my day two breakfast:

1044595_10151538945268316_153650062_n.jp

My husband and I started today. I think the biggest mistake was that we didn't prepare. He only went food shopping this afternoon, so by the time we got to eat lunch I was so hungry and I'm still trying to recover from that.

Breakfast - roasted butternut squash mashed with some coconut milk, a little cinnamon and a few pecans. black coffee

Lunch - grilled chicken breast and red pepper, cucumber salad, raspberries and blueberries 

Snack - because I was still hungry - handful of pistachios

Dinner - will be a roasted chicken, broccoli, zucchini, spinach and cauliflower saute.

I used to make a butternut squash soup (really pureed vegs) with coconut milk and cinnamon, and it tasted just like pumpkin pie. However, there is no protein in it. Which is why I would get the yawns every after noon. What you had would be ok, but you will need some eggs or other protein with it. The rest looks great. I wish I could have peppers!!!!

I was going to start next week, but was so excited I started yesterday. I am 55, hypothyroid and also IBS. So I'm doing the AIP plus no FODMAPS or Nightshades. I've been grain/FODMAP/Nightshade free for a few months, but for this I am also giving up dairy, eggs, wine and Chocolate (SOB!). So while it hasn't been THAT hard for me, it's still a change.

First day went ok. My difficulty is spacing out my meals with my schedule and the fact that I get full so quickly, it's hard to eat all themeals, which is why I get hungry a bit later.Today, I am increasing my breakfast and eating a bit later to see if that helps.

Here is my day two breakfast:

1044595_10151538945268316_153650062_n.jp

if that's a big breakfast, you can officially call me a piglet. I eat a whole plate full!!

Just started the Whole30 yesterday.  I am on day 2!  My only struggle with this is going to be giving up my wine!! I am looking forward to trying some of the great recipes offered.  I am giving myself this as a gift for my 62nd birthday.  I want to be in the best  health I have been in my WHOLE life!

Just started the Whole30 yesterday.  I am on day 2!  My only struggle with this is going to be giving up my wine!! I am looking forward to trying some of the great recipes offered.  I am giving myself this as a gift for my 62nd birthday.  I want to be in the best  health I have been in my WHOLE life!

i'm on day 2, too - what a great start to the new year of you! it's a long journey that'll extend way past this 30 days, but I think it's a fantastic place to start :)

How are you eating so little? I haven't calculated, but if you're adding enough fat per meal, and enough protein, you should be getting plenty. Maybe make sure you're aiming for the upper amounts on the template?

make sure you're adding starchy vegies to up the carbs. are you adding fat along with the stuff you cook in? lots of that fat will be left in the pan -perhaps avo on your salad, a couple of eggs to also up the protein, or some fruit with coconut milk, or nut butter if you want to have that? mayo is delicious too :)

Well.....I am trying to follow the template. I am trying to stay away from most fruits and starchy veggies though because I do have weight to lose. I think I'm going to have to add sweet potatoes in (even though I hate them).  I might pick up some almond butter too. Everything I keep reading says to have fats be your highest percentage of calories and I'm just lost on how to calculate all that. Do I even HAVE to monitor it?

I'm having a hard time finishing everything on my plate.  I either try to eat all the veggies first and feel full or I try to eat the meat first and get full from that. I did bring an apple today to eat in addition to my berries.  I eat protein at every single meal. This morning was 3 eggs and some chicken.  Lunch will be leftover baked chicken legs and a nice big salad.  Dinner tonight is going to be steamed broccoli, baked sweet potato and sauteed shrimp.  That is a lot of food to me.

Well.....I am trying to follow the template. I am trying to stay away from most fruits and starchy veggies though because I do have weight to lose. I think I'm going to have to add sweet potatoes in (even though I hate them).  I might pick up some almond butter too. Everything I keep reading says to have fats be your highest percentage of calories and I'm just lost on how to calculate all that. Do I even HAVE to monitor it?

I'm having a hard time finishing everything on my plate.  I either try to eat all the veggies first and feel full or I try to eat the meat first and get full from that. I did bring an apple today to eat in addition to my berries.  I eat protein at every single meal. This morning was 3 eggs and some chicken.  Lunch will be leftover baked chicken legs and a nice big salad.  Dinner tonight is going to be steamed broccoli, baked sweet potato and sauteed shrimp.  That is a lot of food to me.

you aren't supposed to calculate/monitor your food....that's the point :) fat is calorie dense, 9cals per gram as opposed to 4cals per gram of protein/carbs. adding a small amount of fat adds quite a few cals, so it's an easy way to get more calories without increasing the volume of food. not that the Whole 30 advocates counting/measuring....

you aren't supposed to calculate/monitor your food....that's the point :) fat is calorie dense, 9cals per gram as opposed to 4cals per gram of protein/carbs. adding a small amount of fat adds quite a few cals, so it's an easy way to get more calories without increasing the volume of food. not that the Whole 30 advocates counting/measuring....

I think I'm just going to quit and eat until I'm full. I know what I can eat and what I can't eat so if I'm staying within those guidelines, I'm not going to worry about it.

I think I'm just going to quit and eat until I'm full. I know what I can eat and what I can't eat so if I'm staying within those guidelines, I'm not going to worry about it.

i'm not sure what you want to quit? I think some people have more meals than the recommended 3 as they are used to eating differently....maybe add an extra meal or two for a while, but make sure it's protein/fat/vegie and not just a piece of fruit or nuts?

i'm not sure what you want to quit? I think some people have more meals than the recommended 3 as they are used to eating differently....maybe add an extra meal or two for a while, but make sure it's protein/fat/vegie and not just a piece of fruit or nuts?

Quit worrying about the numbers so much and just DO the program.

Quit worrying about the numbers so much and just DO the program.

oh good!! I thought you meant quit the whole 30!

I think as long as you aren't letting yourself go hungry, and your clothes don't start falling off in a week you should be ok...you can visually see if your body is changing

Archived