~Support Thread for Week of July 7th Starters/Continue-ers

sunnymama

I think my body is getting retrained. No more 'snacks' and I get hungry right at noon, in time for lunch. Still waking up during the night, but only twice, not 15 times :P

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello all! Today is day 31/ day1 for me - inspired to carry on because:

1. It's getting easy peasy now

2. Despite being convinced I hadn't lost any weight I lost 7lbs and 2" off my waist and yes I know it's not meant to be about the weight loss but I'm still really happy about it and motivated

3. I think I had some kind of healing crisis (physical and emotional) just near the end of my W30 part1 and I want to capitalise on that.

So I made cakes yesterday, and am making them today and tomorrow as well because my twin girls turn 4 tomorrow. I managed yesterday without even wanting to eat them, so feeling confident now.

Have tomatoes roasting in the oven, and having steak, asparagus, rocket and guacamole with cucumber and tomatoes for lunch. Yum.

Yay, welcome to the continuers! And a happy birthday to your girls  :)

Had a weird day today, sort of...

Breakfast - mince, yellow pepper, mushrooms & a duck egg all scrambled together, with some homemade salsa on top

Lunch - braised hearts with courgettes & aubergine, some cherries after

Snack - a few bits of butternut squash & pumpkin i'd just finished roasting, with a few macadamias to up the protein quotient

Dinner - Moroccan-style lamb casserole & cauliflower rice pilaf

I didn't sleep especially well last night, but this is the second day in a row that i've been really groggy after lunch & needed a nap - but then been totally On Fire later in the afternoon... maybe a giant pile of offal in the middle of the day requires sleeping off, lion-style? Is Lion Blood like Tiger Blood but with more dozing?  :blink: I hope i don't get Cat Blood, or i'll just be asleep all day...

What I think is working well for me, and you might try it, is making a big pan of something the night before, for a few meals.  In my case, on Sunday I made a frittata type "loaf" with egg and veggies (next time I'll put ground meat in too I've decided), and now it's Wednesday and last night I made an easy chicken stirfry from Nomnom paleo's website. 

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/4360193712/emergency-protein-a-k-a-garbage-stir-fry

That way, I don't have to think about it--I just portion out some for meal 1 and I'm done.  At least for a few breakfasts, and then I'll make something else.

I took a trick from Well Fed & cook up a big pan of mince meat (ground beef/lamb/whatever's on offer!) & stick it in the fridge. Then i can just refry a bit with veggies, eggs, coconut milk or whatever in the mornings. My 1st Whole30 i was eating it at lunchtime too, but boy did i get sick of mince!

Day 2 finished for me. It went OK. My headache subsided in the afternoon, so I went to my CF box for a killer WOD. Basically I blew it and ripped my hands in the process, but oh well... Even though it's only day 2, I already noticed several things

- my stomach is reasonably flat throughout the day. It's not to say I got a sixpack overnight, but I'm not bloated anymore - sometimes in the evening I used to look like I was 6 months pregnant

- my fingers are not swollen even though it's very hot and I always had a problem with this

- my allergy symptoms are much better (I guess there is something in this whole talk about dairy causing congestion)

And one more thing that is really important to me given my lifelong (well, almost ;)) history of disordered eating. I was going to make a sushi salad for dinner - spinach, smoked salmon, avocado, cucumber and nori. Well, when I came home it turned out that I was out of cucumber and avocado was hard and bitter like hell. So instead I made a salad of spinach salmon, tomato, and onion with some herb-infused olive oil. That was a disaster - the spinach turned out to be long past its prime, onion was not needed at all and the oil smelled mainly of rosemary which somehow totally didn't go with salmon. Well... I just ate the salmon (ignoring rosemary as much as I could) and tomato, threw the rest away and had some raspberries afterwards. I decided that I was not hungry anymore, so I was done with food for the day. Previously, if I had planned a meal and not only had been out of ingredients but the alternative meal had been awful, I'd have been devastated, because I was so emotional about food. Today was the first time in a really long time when I treated by food as fuel. though I'd still prefer my meals to be tasty ;)

I can't figure out how to change my signature from my phone so will have to do later but it's officially Day 31 or Day 1 of second W30! I'm psyched and updated my little blog with before and after photos. I have a loooooooooong way to go but progress was made on several levels and I'm good with that. Tonight I'll take measurements for the first time- eek! Hope everybody's hanging in there!

Hi all, my first post and first Whole 30. I started Monday, so today is finishing Day 3 for me. I've been really strictly following the food guidelines (I think) but struggling with being hungry after dinner. I have a habit of eating after I put my kids down. For now I'm leaning into it with Whole 30 approved foods but really nervous about this much food and fat.

Food today:

Breakfast - 8 am

2 farm fresh eggs scrambled in ghee with cherry tomatoes and kale

Hot water with juice of 1 lemon

Coffee with coconut milk

Lunch - noon

Small amount of Leftover dinner (grassfed steak seared in ghee then broiled, onions, kale)

A bowl of Shrimp Ceviche

Dinner - 6 pm

Chicken Apple sausage

Veggie scramble: onion, kale, tomato, portabello

Few pieces of tangerine

Followed by - 8 pm

Water

Another chicken apple sausage

Leftover veggie scramble

Slice of pruscitto

1 Date

A few pistachios

Few cherry tomatoes

VA - we started the same day as you :)

I also got hungry after dinner on the first night, I'm used to eating after dinner! Someone suggested including starchy carbs - I had done this for breakfast and lunch, but not dinner! The next night I did, and was a lot more satisfied.

I have no idea what constitutes chicken/apple sausage or veggie scramble (I think we'd call it something different in Aus!) but your dinner doesn't sound particularly fatty either? Fat definitely helps to keep you feeling full too!

Hi Everyone! I started my first Whole30 just yesterday. I was actually excited to eat coconut flakes but then actually tasted them. I should've known it wasn't going to taste like candy!  :blink:  Someone mentioned coconut water isn't allowed and I just purchased some tonight (didn't drink it yet). Is that right? I haven't tasted it but was excited to have something other than my wretched black coffee (with coconut milk and cinnamon) and water.

Thanks for having such an active thread! Hopefully I can keep up. :wacko:

Hey mollie :)

I use shredded/dessicated coconut to crumb chicken strips - very yummy! I don't find it particularly sweet either, And don't just tend to eat it on its own

Coconut water is ok, as long as it doesn't have anything added. I think you're supposed to use it like fruit juice - sparingly, and in dishes. Some people use it post work out too as its great for rehydrating and replacing electrolytes. personally i dont like it on its own!

Some people whizz up a spoon of ghee, a spoon of coconut oil with their coffee...supposed to be good, and very filling!

Yes, plain coconut water is ok, just don't drink too much of it because it does have sugar in it. Also, as my husband and I found out the hard way, too much can have a very laxative effect :o

VA, don't be afraid of the fat, especially the good fat. It will give you good clean energy without all the sugar highs and lows.

Yes, plain coconut water is ok, just don't drink too much of it because it does have sugar in it. Also, as my husband and I found out the hard way, too much can have a very laxative effect :o

VA, don't be afraid of the fat, especially the good fat. It will give you good clean energy without all the sugar highs and lows.

Yes, this^. VAnewbie if you're having trouble trusting that following the template including the good fats won't blow you up use the forum and look through others whole 30 logs and success stories. If you really want to do a non-modified Whole 30 it's important to do it right so you can see how it works. You deserve this-- just do it!

Checking in for day 4. So far, this has been a breeze for me, even though I have had a bit of flu. I'm sort of waiting for 'the catch' to creep up on me, but so far, no cravings, no weird symptoms, no anything! My biggest hesitation going into this was giving up milky coffee, but I'm drinking black Americanos (2 max a day) with gusto and really enjoying them!

Biggest issue so far is eggs every morning, I'm getting a bit tired of them. I am going to make some mince meat in bulk this weekend and steam some veggies so that I have some breakfast to heat and go in the mornings. 

Otherwise, all surprisingly good so far?  

Checking in for day 4. So far, this has been a breeze for me, even though I have had a bit of flu. I'm sort of waiting for 'the catch' to creep up on me, but so far, no cravings, no weird symptoms, no anything! My biggest hesitation going into this was giving up milky coffee, but I'm drinking black Americanos (2 max a day) with gusto and really enjoying them!

Biggest issue so far is eggs every morning, I'm getting a bit tired of them. I am going to make some mince meat in bulk this weekend and steam some veggies so that I have some breakfast to heat and go in the mornings. 

Otherwise, all surprisingly good so far?  

we've had a couple of days of headaches - dull aches that are "just there" - and have been a bit tired, but not sure if that's related, or just because we're on holidays and not doing much!!

loving the food, its been easy! i must admit i'm pretty good in the kitchen, and have had time to make tasty things :) stocking up the freezer with leftovers for when i don't have so much time!

we love our eggs for breakfast - i did manage to "hide" them in lunch the other day though.it was vegetable curry, with cauli rice - i stirred eggs through the curry and you could barely notice they were there. perhaps a way to hide them in your breakfast? i did similar with a kind of ratatouille, veggie tomato based sauce this morning.

I began the 8th of July and today I want to cry, eat a bagel and go back to bed.  The runny nose and headache are definitely not helping...I showered this am before giving in to the bagels on the counter (I can't throw things out and have minimal storage because my 78 year old MIL lives with us not to mention a three year old and a non-30 husband who is being supportive by hiding the drinking of sodas and eating of skittles, ect.  Anyone else get misty-eyed about everything the first week??

I began the 8th of July and today I want to cry, eat a bagel and go back to bed.  The runny nose and headache are definitely not helping...I showered this am before giving in to the bagels on the counter (I can't throw things out and have minimal storage because my 78 year old MIL lives with us not to mention a three year old and a non-30 husband who is being supportive by hiding the drinking of sodas and eating of skittles, ect.  Anyone else get misty-eyed about everything the first week??

Yes! I miss wheat but I knew I would. I don't have a medical need not to eat it so it's hard for me to just say I'm not going to. I also miss Diet Mtn Dew. I'm tired of drinking water all the time with no variation. I don't drink coffee so that's a no go and tea....well, it's just not my thing. 

For me, it's really psychological. I am craving foods that I wasn't eating before because I was counting calories. Like a biscuit from McDonalds. I haven't had a biscuit from McDonald's in months so I don't know why I want one so bad right now. 

Alas---I've survived. Today is day 4 and I just keep telling myself it's only for 30 days. I can do anything for 30 days. I'm just trying to fake it until I make it. I hope after 30 days the cravings will be gone and that I will love my new way of eating.

My headache is lingering. Aside from that, and the cravings, I feel great. I had an easier workout yesterday. I did kettlebell yesterday and I'm usually very sore the next day. I only have minimal soreness this morning.

Last night was girls night out and we went to watch The Heat. I took a Larabar and a water because I knew my friends would be eating crap and I didn't want to be tempted. I was fine. My friends are supportive and didn't offer me any sweets/popcorn and didn't shove it in my face. I did eat half my Larabar

Yesterday I had bacon and eggs for breakfast, tuna steak and salad for lunch and a big steak for dinner with sauteed greens.  

Breakfast today was bacon and eggs too. Although...this bacon is VERY expensive so I don't know how long I'll be able to keep buying it. I'm trying to find some chorizo or sausage that I can eat but am not having much luck with that.  

Good luck everyone!

we love our eggs for breakfast - i did manage to "hide" them in lunch the other day though.it was vegetable curry, with cauli rice - i stirred eggs through the curry and you could barely notice they were there. perhaps a way to hide them in your breakfast? i did similar with a kind of ratatouille, veggie tomato based sauce this morning.

Good suggestion, I'll give that a try...curry veg for breakfast could be interesting, and convenient since curry could be made in advance. I'm trying to not think *breakfast / lunch / dinner* and rather think meal 1 meal 2 meal 3 - whole new mindset! Did you scramble the eggs first or boil and chop them up? I haven't made cauli rice yet, I'm going to give it a try tonight I think. How do you make yours?

the runny nose and headache are Whole30 symptoms i think? that are supposed to get better!!

i can't say that anything has upset me....we walked through the food court at the shopping centre today (open area with lots of food vendors, tables etc) and everything repulsed me though, i didn't want any of it! luckily my husband and i are doing this together, and theres only us in our house - there isn't a lot of readily available temptation! most non-compliant foods require preparation :)

hope you start to feel better soon

Just found oatmeal cookies and a protein bar in my desk drawer ;) The amazing thing is that I don't even want to eat them after having a huge bowl of curry (homemade) for lunch. It's kind of funny, because I used to lick spoons and have "just a taste" all the time while cooking and yesterday when making bolognese sauce for tonight's dinner I had to force myself to try just a bit to check whether it was properly seasoned. I honestly don't remember last time before 3 days ago when I was faced with food and just didn't want to eat it (and wasn't dying after a binge episode either).

I haven't made cauli rice yet, I'm going to give it a try tonight I think. How do you make yours?

If i'm in a hurry, i just chuck lumps of cauliflower into the food processor, whizz it until it's rice-like, then saute it in coconut oil for a few minutes. Sometimes i'll throw in a few raisins or sultanas while it's cooking if i think it'll go, like with a curry or something. Occasionally i go the whole hog & make the cauliflower rice pilaf from Well Fed, which is delicious!  :P I will say though, the first time i ever made it i was distinctly underwhelmed - i think i was expecting too much, like it would actually taste like rice. It doesn't. It's not going to fool anyone, it's just little lumps of cauliflower. But under a good curry or a stew it soaks up the juices pretty well. 

I haven't made cauli rice yet, I'm going to give it a try tonight I think. How do you make yours?

If i'm in a hurry, i just chuck lumps of cauliflower into the food processor, whizz it until it's rice-like, then saute it in coconut oil for a few minutes. Sometimes i'll throw in a few raisins or sultanas while it's cooking if i think it'll go, like with a curry or something. Occasionally i go the whole hog & make the cauliflower rice pilaf from Well Fed, which is delicious!  :P I will say though, the first time i ever made it i was distinctly underwhelmed - i think i was expecting too much, like it would actually taste like rice. It doesn't. It's not going to fool anyone, it's just little lumps of cauliflower. But under a good curry or a stew it soaks up the juices pretty well. 

So you just whizz it raw? Is Well Fed worth the purchase - I downloaded the sample PDF, but wondering if I should buy the whole recipe book.

Good suggestion, I'll give that a try...curry veg for breakfast could be interesting, and convenient since curry could be made in advance. I'm trying to not think *breakfast / lunch / dinner* and rather think meal 1 meal 2 meal 3 - whole new mindset! Did you scramble the eggs first or boil and chop them up? I haven't made cauli rice yet, I'm going to give it a try tonight I think. How do you make yours?

i heated the curry in the pan first, broke the eggs on top then mixed them through to cook.

i just make cauli rice like Roz suggested - whiz up cauliflower, and usually broccoli, in the food processor til rice like. i tend to make a lot at once, but whiz in small batches. i find if i do too much at once it nearly turns to mash!! i cook it with salt, pepper, spices etc to add some flavour....

we love cauli/leek mash too - steam chunks of cauliflower, leek, and garlic if you like it, then process with a bit of salt. delicious! i'm sure you could add coconut oil or ghee to make it more decadent.

Just found oatmeal cookies and a protein bar in my desk drawer ;) The amazing thing is that I don't even want to eat them after having a huge bowl of curry (homemade) for lunch. It's kind of funny, because I used to lick spoons and have "just a taste" all the time while cooking and yesterday when making bolognese sauce for tonight's dinner I had to force myself to try just a bit to check whether it was properly seasoned. I honestly don't remember last time before 3 days ago when I was faced with food and just didn't want to eat it (and wasn't dying after a binge episode either).

can i just ask....is tasting food when you cook it "allowed"? not at meal times, but if you're cooking a big batch of stuff - i always try my food to make sure it's seasoned properly, or tastes nice.

Hardest thing of all for me was giving up soda ... For me it was diet coke, but hang in there. Also I still haven't got to three meals a day without a substantial snack late afternoon but it still seems to work so that's cool with me. Nearly out of quick food in the fridge cos we've been mad busy, so need to whip up some mayo, some coleslaw, rost some carrots, onions, tomatoes and sweet potatoes and then I'm good again. Busy evening tonight! Roasting cod with tomatoes and olives and finished off with basil for dinner tonight. Nothing else to go with it yet ... Still cruising here!

Yes! I miss wheat but I knew I would. I don't have a medical need not to eat it so it's hard for me to just say I'm not going to. I also miss Diet Mtn Dew. I'm tired of drinking water all the time with no variation. I don't drink coffee so that's a no go and tea....well, it's just not my thing. 

For me, it's really psychological. I am craving foods that I wasn't eating before because I was counting calories. Like a biscuit from McDonalds. I haven't had a biscuit from McDonald's in months so I don't know why I want one so bad right now. 

Alas---I've survived. Today is day 4 and I just keep telling myself it's only for 30 days. I can do anything for 30 days. I'm just trying to fake it until I make it. I hope after 30 days the cravings will be gone and that I will love my new way of eating.

My headache is lingering. Aside from that, and the cravings, I feel great. I had an easier workout yesterday. I did kettlebell yesterday and I'm usually very sore the next day. I only have minimal soreness this morning.

Last night was girls night out and we went to watch The Heat. I took a Larabar and a water because I knew my friends would be eating crap and I didn't want to be tempted. I was fine. My friends are supportive and didn't offer me any sweets/popcorn and didn't shove it in my face. I did eat half my Larabar

Yesterday I had bacon and eggs for breakfast, tuna steak and salad for lunch and a big steak for dinner with sauteed greens.  

Breakfast today was bacon and eggs too. Although...this bacon is VERY expensive so I don't know how long I'll be able to keep buying it. I'm trying to find some chorizo or sausage that I can eat but am not having much luck with that.  

Good luck everyone!

we don't eat bacon/cured meat at all - breakfasts have been eggs and vegie omelette/frittata type dishes, sometimes with a bit of chicken thrown in for extra protein. we cook in CO, or add some avo or a spoon of mayo for extra fat. i think vegetarian breakfasts are a lot cheaper!

Archived