What just happened?

Today is the 23rd day of my 2nd Whole30. This one has been tough as I have been pretty stressed for most of it, but I've been hanging in there and making good choices. The last week has been particularly tough, and today, was an especially bad day. I had some sweet potato at dinner thinking, maybe I need a little carb boost. Nope, it was tasty but that didn't do it for me. I still felt low in mood and energy.

I've been desperate for some chocolate so I decided what the hell, I'll make some non-compliant avocado chocolate pudding (this stuff) and HOLY SMOKES. I felt like a new person afterward. It was a little sweeter than I would have liked, BUT it really changed my mood and energy. (Up until now on this Whole30 I've kept my "treats" to an apple with almond butter or some other piece of fruit.)

So, my question: Was it the fats in the avocado? The mood-elevating cocoa? The sweetness from the maple syrup/dates? What gave me the boost?

I have read and heard that if you are having a chocolate craving it could mean your body wants magnesium so maybe next time try some Natural Calm before bed?

Also for an energy boost perhaps a spoonful of coconut oil mixed with almond butter? Coconut oil has very digestible and accessible energy that lasts.

Also what helps me when I am stressed is to really try to take some time out for myself and meditate or take a bath with some epsom salt (also a good way to get in magnesium).

At any rate take it easy on yourself and keep going and see how you feel. it may help to log your food and stress so that when you are having a craving you might be able to see if you might not be eating enough at meals or something else.

Be Well!

Thanks for the responses.

I usually try to do yoga a few times a week and that helps manage my stress levels. It's tough getting there in the summer, though, with my kids being home (hello, more stress!).

Re: magnesium - I have used Natural Calm before when I've had trouble sleeping, but unfortunately even the smallest amount results in stomach cramps, etc.

I feel like I'm eating enough at meals, and I dont think I'm especially restricting carbs. If anything, now that I've perfected sweet potato oven fries I'm probably going a little heavier on the carbs than I should from a fat loss perspective. I eat starchy veg as often as non-starchy, and I usually have a piece of fruit everyday.

the way I deal with a massive chocolate craving (I'm a chocolate addict) is by making coconut whipped cream w/cocoa powder and eating a spoonful or two with a banana. I feel like I'm getting a treat, especially if it's a really ripe, sweet banana. :) Sure, the whipped cream is not sweet, but the fat is satisfying and the hint of chocolate seems to be enough.

Archived